Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Copper

Talking newbie beyond belief

but it's ok.. I so want to start getting into the engraving world. I have etched many gourds using a foredom/rotary tool, but ready to up the game and put that artwork on some metal so any help I can receive from you guys, I would appreciate, and soak up like a sponge.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Platinum

Default Re: newbie beyond belief

Cravnair. Spotted your post and thought you may find this heplful. Rotory cutting is not engraving in it truest form but some great work can be done. It is very hard to get the work so fine or exact but if the designs are with wide enough lines you can do it. So two things can help make your lines thinner. Get some round jewelers burs. They are available down to .25mm, and after they get dull or the tip breaks off cut the end to look like a tiny straight scew driver. These cut like crazy. Get some push gravers as you can and practice on copper and other soft metals. As you learn the technics and to sharppen sharper your on you way. See your work here soon. chickenscratcher
Old 03-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Copper

Talking Re: newbie beyond belief

thank you so much chickenscratcher. i'm hoping the boots i'm lookin at aren't too big for me to feel.