Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 01-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Gold

Smile Just got up the nerve to post some pictures of my first attempts at engraving.

I've been reading and learning on this forum for some time now, but I haven't been very active in participating, so I just got up the nerve to post some pictures of the work that I have been doing since a little before Christmas. I have been doing some engraving on Kentucky Longrifles that I make, but was very basic stuff. I took the plunge last summer and bought my PC and I love it. It really has improved my engraving, and I feel like I am just getting started. I just signed up for a course with Ray Cover in February, and I can't wait. I know that I have so much to learn.

Take a look at my Album and let me know what ya think.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:09 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Just got up the nerve to post some pictures of my first attempts at engraving.

Tom. Looked at your jewelry. It is a great beginning. Remember silver is so soft, making it almost to easy to cut. The problem I have with the softer metals is the I have to force myself to slow down to keep control. The rounds or turns get better too. I can't wait either to see how your classes effect your engraving. Great start. chickenscratcher
Old 01-16-2011, 07:10 AM
Steel

Default Re: Just got up the nerve to post some pictures of my first attempts at engraving.

I really enjoyed see the great variety of items engraved, and your creativity across a range of subjects. I get the impression that you have a lot of fun when designing and engraving. Can't wait to see your work after the classes!
Thanks for posting.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Gold

I can't take any credit for the design. I'm still at the point where I rely on the artistry of others. I am trying to learn how to develop my own designs, but I have a long way to go.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:01 AM
Gold

Send a message via Skype™ to SikaStag

Well done Tom. The cross looks great with a lot of fine detail. Your wife must be so proud of you.

I can not wait till I can get to where you are, with your engraving.

It would be so nice to give my wife something that I have designed and constructed from start to Finnish. I am sure it would be that extra special for her to wear and would be a good conversational piece.

I sometimes wonder if my Palm control will ever be able to produce half as good quality of work as what I see on here from people that are beginners.

I also sometimes wonder if it is being driven by a drunk driver when I attempt to follow the lines of a scroll. I have to start saving some money to invest in classes, I think I need someone to point out the multitude of things that I am probably doing wrong.

I am going to stick to the practising, hoping that anytime soon a light bulb will come on and it will start to fall into place.

I look forward to seeing your future work.

Ian
Old 01-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer

That lettering on the bracelet looks perfect!
This and all before being said, do'nt let your nerve get down!! Post your work
Old 01-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Platinum

Tom,

I'd be proud if that was my work. I think the pendant and earrings are striking. They look handmade and I like that.

Thanks for sharing,

John