Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 06-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Steel

Default New Member

Hello everyone, I started to practice engraving on December 24th, 2009. I am currently practicing straight lines marked out on a 2x2 practice plate with dividers to gain graver control. When I can't cut, I read Jame's B Meek's book on engraving and draw alternating scroll backbone's on ruled paper. Hopefully, I'm going in the right direction. I would like to attend a class but time off from work will not allow it at present. I hope to find engravers in my area that I could learn from. Maybe spend a few hours once a month to get instruction and direction from. I have a gravermax and cut using 2300 spm with a carbide square graver. I use an optivisor at present. I look forward to learning from everyone and will draw motivation from the pictures you post here.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:11 AM
Platinum

Default Re: New Member

Welcome to the forum!

Check out the Engrave-In threads in the main forum - you're only a couple of hours away according the MapQuest. You'd be able to soak up a lot of 'stuff' if you could make it down for even just Monday.

And I'll bet if you check around there's someone near you who'd do a one-on-one on a weekend.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 06-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Platinum

Michael,

This Sunday and Monday will be the engrave-in near Monteagle, TN which is 2 1/2 hours from where you live. Engravers come from as far as England and Japan to go to this event. I will be driving 5 1/2 hours each way. You can learn more in a day and a half at the engrave-in than a year of asking questions on a forum. One of the big things for a beginner is to see and hold in your hand engraved items by various engravers. You can look at pictures of engraved items until you go blind and never quite undersatand what it is supposed to look like in real life.

If you miss this you will regret it for the next year. I expect you have to be at some other job on Monday but do what you have to to go anyway. Learning engraving involves sacrafices as well as persistance.

Good luck,

Roger
Old 06-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Steel

Steve / Roger, Thanks for the welcome. I'ts me, Michael from the other Forum. Both of you have helped me alot already. Scott invited me to the engrave-in and I should be able to make it there on sun / monday for sure, barring any unforeseen health issues or family emergencies. I hope to see and meet both of you there.