Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 12-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Steel

Default New guy.

Hi.
My name is Tom.
I am interested in learning about engraving,and maybe some day try my hand at it.
For now,reading posts here,getting some books, and drooling over the incredible work I see here will have to suffice.
I would like to say thank you to those that post tutorials,pictures and work in progress,it is very interesting,and very helpful for those that consider trying out the art of engraving(and probably for those that allready engrave).

Guess that`s it for now,I will go back to reading here,and lurking.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:15 AM
Steel

Default Re: New guy.

Welcome! you will really enjoy this forum and the information freely shared here.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer

Hi Mr White,
Welcome indeed!
And you are totaly on the best spot for learning about engraving
Steve surtanly has the best tools for the job.
Keep on lurking and later you will take the step into the wonderfull world of engraving!

Daniel
Old 05-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Steel

Don`t want to start another thread,so I will just post a question here.
I have read a few posts here,and elsewhere,that says you cannot engrave what you can`t draw.
I have no doubt there is a lot of truth in this,but I am hoping it is not the whole truth,as I am not the most artistic person out there.
I have also read posts that say it is possible to make good engravings without being good at drawing,including one posted somewhere on Lindsay`s website.
So,what say you gentlemen,is it possible to get by,at least to some extent,doing engraving without being good at drawing?
Bear in mind,I have no plans to ever sell anything,I just like handmade stuff,and learning how to do things for myself.
But,even though I have no plans to sell,I would also like to make things that look good/works properly etc.

Oh,and thanks to you guys I have some books on the way on engraving and scrimshaw.
Considering some dvd`s as well.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Platinum

It's good to live in the Future.

Nowdays you can scrounge up an image on the web, print it out, trace over the important lines, scan that, mirror it, print it out, and transfer the image to the metal for cutting.

And you will be surprised at how you'll be able to learn to draw scrolls. Get the Ron Smith book(s) - "Drawing & Understanding Scrolls" and "Advanced Drawing of Scrolls" (I think those are the correct titles - close anyway). He breaks it down really well and you never have to draw anything tougher than a curved line.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-29-2010, 12:21 AM
Platinum

Hi I'm Panja from Thailand.
Welcome.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Steel

Hi....just saw your post. Late I know!

You know, many people who can draw didn't start out that way. There certainly are those annoying people who seem to be born with a pencil in their hand and a beret on their head, but every demanding endeavour, individuals succeed on their own combination of the requisite skills. In engraving, some are more patient or of a more ingenious nature than others, some are natural artists, while others just seem to have great manual skills. But, you will certainly be able to grow your talents way more than you think, simply by practising your drawing. The better your skills in this area become, the better you will be able to interpret any design you may copy. Remember that the actual lines of a design are only a part of what gives it its character, at which point the art is important to making the design "real" and "living"......but to copy the designs of others, is to consign you to staying on that path forever.

I'd encourage you to do all the drawing you can, even tracing over a pictured design. It's a way to get a little muscle memory going, and to understand more fully what the engraver had in mind.

The drawing of wildlife is especialy important. Here, I feel (rather than know) that if you haven't drawn it first, then you are going to have trouble. Here, look at the work of good wildlife artists, they are the ones who know how to make their subjects look alive, three dimensional, and make them relate correctly to the overall composition/perspective and directional light in the scene.

Becoming an engraver is an ongoing long haul in my experience, but the more you do, the harder you try, and the more you critique and correct your work along the way, the quicker you improve.

Get into it...and enjoy!

Damien Connolly.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Steel

Tom,

Noticed that there are not a lot of recent responses to your post. I'm a new gal, cannot draw very well. Am currently taking classes w/ JJ Roberts here in VA. JJ has told me to just practice, practice, practice. Good luck to you Please let us stay in touch. Renee
Old 06-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer

Hi Tom,
You could also get some books on scroll design. The one by J.B.Meek and the ones Ron Smith wrote are exellent. Gives you a big head start.

And if you post on the engraving forum (top of the list) youll get more feed back. It seems a lot of engravers only open that one