Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 04-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Platinum

Default How much is 1 trillion dollars?

Recently a friend tried to explain how much one trillion dollars is so I could get a grasp of just how big it really is. Here is his explanation.

The thickness of a currency bill is .004"
Take a $1,000.00 bill for these measurements, stacked:
$1,000,000=4.9 inches
$1,000,000,000=63.9 feet
$1,000,000,000,000=63.9 miles

A $1,000 bill laid end to end to equal $1,000,000,000,000 would be approximately 96,000 miles, or 3 3/4 times around the earth at the equater.

And congress is talking in Multiples of trillions of dollars!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Steel

Default Re: How much is 1 trillion dollars?

And, you know where that's gonna come from? Your pocket and mine and all our children, grandchildren, greats, and great greats. RIDICULOUS
Old 04-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Platinum

A trillion is just about what our government has committed the taxpayers to paying by getting us involved in Iraq!!!
Old 04-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Platinum

Hey Bill ... better come up with a recycling plan for that 96,000 miles of currency or you could end up in a "green collar job" re-education facility.

Hey Peter ....

I'm a live and let live kinda guy ... that means that if the Iraqi people want to torture and oppress themselves then let them. Diversionary politics like "bringing freedom" while hiding the facts about the petro-dollar insult my intelligence. The flipside of the coin is that we're idly watching the truth unfold about Bush's statement regarding the "axis of evil".

While on the subject of live and let live .... "Iron Triangle" (Connecticut, New York and Massachusetts) politicians should stick to destroying their own "rust belt" states rather than dictate to the rest of the country how our money should be wasted and how we should live.

Just when you think people have hit their breaking point, we allow another administration to commit grand larceny as well as bi-partisan breach of Constitutional obligations. Over and over and over .....

Catch ya later ...

Last edited by WVEngraver; 04-14-2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: added
Old 04-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Platinum

There is food for thought in this link. It is non partisan, and on the money.

http://alleditions.blogspot.com/2009...sponsible.html
Old 04-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Platinum

Not only are we being run into the poorhouse, but now us vets are potential "terrorists". They could be right, as we may decide we have had enough of their power grab and stage a small coup to get our country back into the hands of sane people and away from insane politicians. I may need to get a dog now to guard the house, as I'm sure to have a visit from the media police!

Bill
Old 04-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Platinum

It is really sad to see how pumped up the politicians have become with their own self-importance. They are so smart they can even sign bills into law without even reading the content of same. And, of course, we the people even smell according to Harry Reid.
If you are in favor of the 1st, 2nd, 5th, and 10th ammendments, you are now considered a possible terrorist, while the pols choose to send 90m to Hamas, a proven terrorist outfit. The ultimate insult is including our Vets on the list of possible provacateurs.
I am tired of this pile of bovine excrement occupying our halls of congress, and I know I am not alone. Re-elect NoOne!
gail
Old 04-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Platinum

I've read the 9 page DHS Law Enforcement memo. Took awhile to get it. Gail ... yer a good 'ol gal for helping get ahold of it.

There are 9 pages that are unclassified which means there are probably 90 pages that are classified.

The 9 page "summary" reads like a Cliff's Notes written by a 9th grader (which brings me to my opinion stated next).

Bill, you are exactly right. Not only profiling returning vets as "Timothy McVeigh" types but also expanding into the realm of "lone wolves" (individuals) equates to a blanket profile based on philosophies rather than behavior. If you don't toe the line with this administration ... you are a potential enemy of the state. This memo is a response of fear and in my opinion ... nothing more than "information warfare" and intimidation that has been intentionally leaked to the press. This administration fears both the conservative views AND military training that veterans generally share.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:52 AM
Platinum

Chris - I am a "live and let live" type of person myself. I think politically we share a lot of the same feelings....and unfortunately, in my advancing age, I sadly have come to the rationalization that government is our biggest obstacle towards a more enjoyable life.

Gail - I think your perception is VERY keen. Unfortunately, the self importance of the pumped up politicians has a LOT to do WITH this situation. The politicians achieved a life of luxury and leisure at the expense of taxpayers, so it was only fair that they provide the legislation for the CEOs, and Wall St crooks to fill their pockets too!

I think the "tea parties" yesterday all over the country are an indication of how citizens feel about the situation our government put us in.

OF course in all of this, I have NOT seen any concessions being made BY our Senate and Congress in reducing the LARGE compensation and benefit packages THEY TAKE from taxpaying Americans.

Enough ranting....I consistently try to refrain from talking politics as all it does it cause aggravation!

Despite it all, I could not think of a country that would allow me a better quality of life than here in the USA. Of course if I had hundreds of millions to work with like all the thieves, that would be FAR different!

Peter
Old 04-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Platinum

It scares me to think we may be seeing the beginning of a far more sinister plan. If the politicians are afraid of an armed and intelligent, trained populace now, just what is up their sleeve for the future? It seems to me this parallels Germany when Hitler was a pup and just getting started. Are we going to repeat history here?

By the way, in talking with several gun shops and gunsmiths in our small community, there is a severe shortage of primers. My gunsmith informed me that all of his suppliers are not able to get any and that there are only three major producers of them, and they ain't selling! What gives!!? Of course, this may be old news to most of you, but I don't reload so it is really starting to bother me.

Keep the lights on, brothers, we may need all the light we can muster to be prepared for whatever it is they have planned for us. Don't intend to sound alarmist, but we need to be diligent.

Bill
Old 04-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Platinum

I don't reload either Bill, but that IS alarming about the primers. I was figuring that the next political move will be to tax the hell out of gun supplies, licenses, etc.

A couple of times lately journalists and tabloid tv people have been trying to instigate gun control in the media, but it seems that they are getting rebuffed by government.

I think the government is FULLY aware that citizens are PO'd and it is best not to tread there right now. Also, the NRA lobby appears to be VERY strong currently.

I think everyone has noticed that ammunition sales have been soaring since Obama took office. I used to go to local gun shows a few times a year and pick up ammo if nothing else. The last two shows I went to, prices were VERY high for ammo!

Peter
Old 04-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Platinum

Hey Peter & Bill .... this is gonna BLOW your mind.

I went to a show yesterday. I did find a LOT of primers and there was also a lot of powder too.

I'm not into the modern stuff so all I get is black powder for my clunky old 19th century BPCR stuff. So I picked up 2 pounds of 2fg Goex. The guy sez to fill in my name and SS# on a sales log. I refused to enter my SS# and before I gave him my name, I asked for a detailed explanation as to the purpose of requiring me to cough up personal and private information as I have NEVER had to do this before.

He pointed to the lot# on the bottom of the can and stated that black powder is now being considered a high explosive by the BATFE simply in the way it is tracked. The powder is microtagged so that if it is used for something other than what it is intended for, forensics analysis can read the microtags (which don't burn) and track the lot# from which it came from .... and inevitably trace it to those who purchased it.

When I told the guy that I didn't like giving up my personal info and maybe I'd like my money back, everyone around me turned around to stare at me like I was "guilty" or something. What's up with these people? Doesn't anyone respect the right of privacy without suspicion?

My friends at the show couldn't believe it and busted my nuts for buying it making me even more paranoid than I already am. At least I felt some comfort in knowing that others share the same principles.

Bottom line ... all it takes is one pound from that entire lot to be used for some despicable deed by some idiot and everyone that bought a pound gets a visit from the guys in black ski masks in the dead of nite. Basically, my right to be left alone and have some PEACE is now in the hands of people that I don't know .... that is, everyone else that has that stuff with the same number on the bottom of the can.

Of all things .... now it's black powder? That stuff was pretty good at blowing up wooden stuff 200 years ago but it would take thousands of pounds to put a dent in concrete and steel today. Good grief ... what about us average Joes that just wanna bounce a musket ball down to the opposite end of the yard?
Old 04-20-2009, 05:39 AM
Platinum

WOW Chris - I probably would have reacted the SAME way as you did! I don't like giving ANY information when it can be avoided. That INCLUDES my zip code when paying cash for items at the store.

It seems ALL our politicicians are capable of is KNEE JERK ineffective legislation that they THINK quiets the masses. They are MOST effective at voting themselves more benefits and perks at taxpayers expense.

Ours is probably the ONLY country on earth that legislates endless laws to protect people from their own stupidity and carelessness! All the while taxing everything they can get away with!

There I go ranting again....SORRY!

Peter