Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 06-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Steel

Default Hello from Australia

I thought it only fair to introduce myself, as this site has given me so much help and inspiration reading other peoples experiences. Mabey my journey will help someone else.
I have worked in my famillys jewellers store for 23 years,5 years ago i sent myself to trade school to do a jewellery apprentice to expand on my self taught skills.Most trade jewellers i talk to want to get away from the bench,but i had so much FUN learning, and want to learn more.
I use basic engraving in setting,but most efforts so far are more like metal plowing than engraving.
What i have read from this site and my experiences so far at school and work I need to eliminate as many variables and learning difficulties as possible

My progress so far
I have purchased a meiji scope (to see the work) only arrived last week
I have purchased a small ball vice (I perviously hand held work, not good for fingers )
Am now thinking of purchasing lindsay sharpening system as my self taught efforts are crap always getting different and inconsistent angles. this alone causes alot of my troubles

Well thats my progress so far, for now I will be practicing ( Push graver ) in brass or copper plates for now (can only dream of a classic at the moment )

Until next time Paul
Old 06-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Hello from Australia

Welcome Paul
I hope you post some picture nearly
Old 06-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Platinum

Welcome to the forum! :waving:

Getting a sharpening system (pretty much any system) will make a major improvement in your engraving efforts. A clean, consistent point will mean that it does the same thing every time (meaning the problems are all yours. :p)

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 06-04-2008, 03:16 AM
Platinum

Hi Paul,
I purchased the Powerhone a couple of years ago and quickly got the extra mount to be able to sharpen a multitude of angles. You need to take care that the angles on this device don't slip. I have since bought the set of 5 templates that Steve produces which allows for a number of "V" shaped angles from 125 degrees to knife edge. Sharpening is time consuming even on the Powerhone and if I had my time again would opt for the high speed system (something to put on the Christmas list).

By the by, I had a shop down in Casterton up until 10 years ago when we moved to Adelaide. Will try to look you up next time 'm in the Wimmera (not very often lately).
Regards,
Roger
Old 06-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Platinum

Roger B.

Keep a eye out for a faceting machine to grind points. I have a thread on sharping using a faceting machine.

Check it out and see if you can find a used one. Australia makes one of the best faceting machines in the world..

airamp
Old 06-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Platinum

Thanks Airamp, I'll look out for it

Roger
Old 06-05-2008, 06:47 AM
Steel

Thanks for the welcome

Roger B, hope one day we do meet up be nice to see an actual engraver

Airamp, I started another thread just on this topic under tools and technical. I will keep an eye out for a faceting machine

Paul
Old 06-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Platinum

Wink Re: Hello from Australia

Welcome Paul. I would like to see you post some of your work too. for shapening check out the posts on shapening machines, one or more people are using a drill press to sharpen. Good luck.

Neil:yesnod: