Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Copper

Default New guy - trying to find PC controlled engraver

Hello.

I am a fellow in Wellingborough UK, trying to work out a little about the different angraving machines about - and trying to get some information about the sort that I need to be looking at for my application.

In short, I am wanting something to be able to mark-up little plates/tags which are going to be made from anodized aluminium. Basically a dog-tag design and with probably two or three lines of information.

If the project works well, I will need to produce a good number (for me) of these (several dozen a day). As such, although a hand-held engraver and a stencil was great for prototypes, I really want something a little easier/faster for higher use.

I tried to post in the right section, but I couldn't see a generic "PC controlled engraver" or such like.

I am VERY happy with second hand - or economically priced new. I just want to be able to type two or three lines of text onto a PC and then "Print" it to the little machine which then engraves a dog-tag for me. I have a horrible feeling things will not be that simple - but if they are great.

If someone could please point me in the direction of the sort of thing I need it would be really helpful - also any names of good second hand gear which I might be advised to keep an eye out for.

I have no real preference for a "grinding type" engraver or a small laser powered engraver which (I think) are supposed to work well on anodized aluminium and make less noise too.

My knowledge at the moment is REALLY basic - as I am sure you will have realised - and frustratingly, google has not really helped me much - with the single exception of finding this forum.

Kind Regards

Guy

ps: I did try to use "PC" as a tag, but it reckons two letters is too short - which might be why I cannot find anything about PC when I search
Old 02-16-2011, 03:19 AM
Platinum

Default Re: New guy - trying to find PC controlled engraver

Well, this isn't going to be entirely useful, but it'll hopefully help obliquely...

'Round here, the abbreviation PC is used for the Palm Control rather more than Personal Computer - the Palm Control being the controller for Steve's Airgraver. Not quite the sort of beasty you're after, from your description - and it'll take someone who has more experience in that area to comment on what's good. I know the systems are out there - Gravograph do one, for example - but that's about all.

As for too-short searches, this is a common setting for vBulletin - short words are matched more frequently and therefore increase the load on the server. There is a workaround though - use someone else's search engine. http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pc+...avingforum.com
Old 02-16-2011, 04:42 AM
Gold

I have a Umarq Gem RX-4. The current model is the RX-5. I think it will do what you want. Check out the Umarq products.

http://www.u-marq.com/
Old 02-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Copper

Thanks for the helpful info from both of you.

I will have a look at the links.

Many thanks

Guy
Old 02-17-2011, 02:04 AM
Platinum

Hi Guy,

The laser engraver is a great option but may be out of your price range. If so, check out pantograph engravers. They drag a needle across the surface of your item guided by letter templates - this creates the "engraving". Hermes is one brand that you could look for.

Take care,
Roger
Old 02-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Copper

Thanks Roger, I will have a look and see what I can find about them.

I am sure they would be better than what I have been using (vice, stencil glorified dremel) but was hoping to find something where doing perhaps 20 or 30 would be an hours work and not half a days work.

It is frustrating but about a year ago, I must have struck lucky with a google search term as I found a little unit that was I guess about an 8 inch cube sized unit - which was a basic laser engraver for small items.

I recall a lot of people being quite critical because it was limited in size and speed - but from what I remember, if all it was needed for was to engrave small tags, most folks seemed to think it was ok.

I have trawled through all my history but cannot find it - and cannot recall the make / model other than (I think) it has an "X" and possibly 75 in the title - eg: Model X75etc

I will keep hunting and in the meantime, will have a look for a pantograph system too.

Kind Regards

Mark
Old 02-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Platinum

There's the EpiLog Laser system - they're similar to what you describe but they don't have anything that small. http://www.epiloglaser.com

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 02-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Copper

Thanks, I will have a look and see what they do - it doesn't HAVE to be small - if a reliable second-hand one is for sale at a price I can afford, then no size concern at all. It is just that I only NEED a small area - anything else is a happy bonus

Thanks for the link, I will see what they are like.

I have spotted some 20w CO2 lasers cutter/engravers on Ebay for about £700 including carriage. Seem suspiciously cheap for the size/power - but interesting nonethless.