Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Steel

Default wheeling

Awl Right! a fellow off-roader! So what kinda stuff do you go out in? Heavy rock, hard trails (as in "green" or "black"), sand, mud, or it gets dirty sitting? Any other off road mods or is it really a street ride?

Hey, Danny,

Before the solid axle swap I was doing mostly moderate and some difficult rated on 31" tires. I kept breaking stuff. Went through three transfer cases, two transmissions, one burnt clutch, broken engine mounts, transmission mounts and a front differential. Daihatsu USA pulled out so I was having a hard time getting parts. The salvage yards don't seem to have many parts either so I went to Toyota parts. I haven't done a whole lot since putting in all Toyota running gear. It does do all the difficult trails no problem and I was told it would do some of the extreme trails (Penrose Colo.) around here. I haven't done any of the extreme trails as I don't want to break anything. I hate mud! Costs too much at the car wash to get it clean. Even then I would hear large chunks of dried mud falling off the truck for months to come while driving. The trails around here are rated Easy, Moderate, Difficult and Extreme and a number rating. I don't know about the green and black trail ratings.

The truck has a Warn 9000 winch, spring over in the rear, Range Rover radius arms in the front as a three link with custom track bar, Fox nitrogen racing shocks on the front with no springs...just the AirShox. Um, 5.71:1 ring and pinions, Toyota axles with a Trutrac in the rear, Toyota Tacoma 2.7L engine with headers, K&N and Nology HotWires (capacitive discharge), custom snorkel, three inch exhaust with flow through muffler, custom solid engine mounts, custom cross member/ transmission mount, Toyota five speed, dual transfer cases with a twin stick in the rear case, One ton rated drive shafts, 1 1/4" DOM steering linkage with 3/4" Heim joints, roll cage in the back, rock sliders, custom 3/16" thick bumpers front and rear, the rear bumper has a swing out tire carrier and HighLift mount, 3/4" shackle recovery points...two in front and one in the rear, 35" tires, tach, guages and custom steering wheel, hard top and soft top and probably more stuff that I can't think of right now.

I have some Longfield super axles and two ARB's that arent in yet.

It is my only daily driver. I got tired of feeling like I was beat up and sore the day after trail riding. Now I only use it to get to the high mountain lakes and spring creeks for fly fishing. If I am going to feel beat up I want to get some fishing and camping in.

What's your rig...tell me about it and where you wheel.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Platinum

Default Re: wheeling

Man, that's a ride I'd read about in the off road mag's! Learned a lot have you?! :>)

Mines an '04 Wrangler Sport with 4" Procomp lift with procomp wheels & 31.5's tires. It also has an air-raid intake. Basic stock rig with a little extra. I also have a swing out tire carrier, and recently put on a rack. Since I only have a Harley and a Jeep, I needed the carrying area of the rack. Otherwise, I wouldn't have put the rack on. I just got 7" flares for the fenders, as the stocks let too much water, mud, rock sling up on the car.

I belong to SBNFA-OHV-V (San Bernardino National Forest - Off Highway Vehicle - Volunteers (whew!)). We are the eyes, ears, and muscle of the 2 "real" officers of the entire national forest in the area. The area is BIG BEAR - LAKE ARROWHEAD - LYTLE CREEK - MILL CREEK - SAN JACINTO, CA.

We patrol the trails. Clean up trash, call in (and support) fires, fix trails, close off illegal trails, educate the public, find (and report) illegal operations (marijuana fields etc). Someones usually going out 2-3 times a month.

This month 16-17-18-19 at Calico Ghost Town (by Barstow, Ca) there is going to be a Civil War Re-enactment AND Calico Clean Up - with over 600 people already signed up for the clean-up only! The OHV group is providing HAM and other radio communications for the whole thing. You're more than welcome to come on out. You can share my tent, if you can make it. It has 4 rooms.

Basically I like to go out and have fun and then COME BACK and NOT fix anything. I know its inevetible, but I'm putting it off as long as possible. The low range and my MT's really get me in and out of places "smoother" tires would cause trouble. I figure if I put on ARB's, because I will need them, then I need to put on a winch. If I "might" need both, then I'm going in harm's way! So - NO! I'll take it easier.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Danny and Kent, Check this out.. Do-it-yourself truck lift! I wonder if this guy is still alive. Looks like he is welding next to or on the gas tank to boot.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Platinum

hahaha
At least he has 2 2x4's - just in case!!
I wonder what his body would look like if the 2x4's slip?

I read where one guy put a known bad jack stand under his car and worked on it - it failed and the car sat on him till he died - found hours later. How do we know he had a bad jack - because it did it to him before!

You guys should check out DARWIN AWARDS its a "real life" hoot (no "stories" allowed).