Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Tutorials and Contests - Hand Engraving Forum > Tutorial Contest Archive
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 07-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Platinum

Default 1st Tutorial Contest

Hi folks--

Welcome to a new contest forum! I'll get to the proposed contest rules/deadlines/fabulous prizes in a moment, but if you're interested let me introduce myself first.

My name is Kaitlin Lindsay, I'm Steve's daughter home from college for the summer and also working for the business for pocket money. Up until now that just meant filling out invoices and assembling parts of AirGravers, but since we're swamped I've also been assigned to watch this corner of the forum. Lucky you guys. :P

On to the important stuff!

Contest Rules
As per the suggestions compiled in this thread by gravertom and others, contestants should complete an original piece of engraving from start to finish, posting photos and comments illustrating that process. The more descriptive you can be in your pictures and writing, the better.

HOW TO ENTER: Just start a new thread in this forum with a descriptive title like "John's contest submission" and reply to it with subsequent WIP photos and commentary. This is not a critique! Only the artist may reply to his or her own thread until winners are announced at the end of the contest.

PRIZES: There will be one winner in each of three categories: Most Improved, Most Informative, and Most Outstanding submission. Let me borrow gravertom's descriptions since he's already taken the time to type it out. Ty gravertom!
Quote:
1 Most improved engraver.
Contestants in this category must submit two projects. The degree of improvement will be judged by the panel of judges, improvement in design as well as execution will be evaluated. The judges will have discretion to determine if an individual's first submission is not representative of their current ability level.

2. Most informative Tutorial-
This category rewards the single project that is most helpful from an educational standpoint. The sketches, photos, and commentary accompanying the project that are most helpful to all of the forums' engraving community will be judged the winner.

3. Most outstanding engraving project-
This category will reward the outstanding engraving presented during the time period of the contest. The other rules apply, with respect to the submission of sketches and photos. The judging will be based only on the quality and originality of the work. The project must be started after the beginning of the contest, and fully completed by the end date.
Each contestant may only win one category, and all three winners will receive $700 towards a new Classic AirGraver, a Classic PalmControl or a PalmControl upgrade.

JUDGES: are TBD.

DEADLINES: the contest is open now! Photos of completed projects must be posted by midnight (central time) Friday, September 12th.

OTHER NOTES: *All submission threads are subject to the EngravingForum.com Rules & Policies. duh.
*Multiple submissions are allowed and encouraged! Only engravers posting two or more submissions can win the "Most Improved" category.
*There are no requirements for the canvas you choose to engrave on. Keep in mind that our judges are only human and may take that choice into consideration when judging the "Most Improved" and "Most Outstanding" categories, however.
*Although other users may not reply to submission threads here, I will re-post submission threads for comments, help, critiques, heckling, etc. on the general discussion forums. If you would prefer not to have your submission re-posted, please contact me either by replying to this thread, on the submission itself, or through private message.
*All projects submitted must be started after the beginning of the contest and ended before midnight (central time) September 12.
*These rules aren't set in stone! If you have a question, comment, or suggestion, please let me know and I'll do my best to answer. Or go pester Dad until he answers. Whichever seems more efficient

Kaitlin
Old 07-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer
Default Re: Welcome

Hi Kaitlin,

Now there is a good contest!
That should boost the learning curve for everyone but especially for beginners! I will surely try to think of something nice to engrave but I am really looking forward to the post's of others (beginners or not)!

Must be the way the Moon is standing in the sky's but on Sam's forum a contest for tutorials is at hand!
This must provide both fora with a lot of new and perfect information!

But do I understand that no comments from others can be placed until the contest is done? That could be a pity and loss of "on the mark" remarks.

Never the less and eaven without price's , great concept!
I hope to find the time to contribute.

Daniel
Old 07-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Houwer
Hi Kaitlin,
Hi Daniel
Quote:
But do I understand that no comments from others can be placed until the contest is done? That could be a pity and loss of "on the mark" remarks.
That's correct, we'd like to keep the submission threads clean and easy to follow throughout the (hopefully) multiple follow-up replies by the artist as his work progresses. However, I don't see anything wrong with a participant re-posting his pictures on the general forum open for critique and comments. I've added that disclaimer to my original post, good catch.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Platinum

Sorry C.J., but I hope this contest also brings a flood of posts.

I'm looking forward to watching this one! :painting:

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 07-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Gold

Default Re: Tutorial Contest ~ $1500 in prizes ~ Welcome

Hi Kaitlin,
Just to make sure I have it right... if one is going to try for the most improved and 2 submissions are required for this category, is one submission to be at the beginning of the contest and the other at the end of the contest in order to judge how much improvement that person has made? Or, do you mean at least 2 submissions by the end of the contest? I'm not too clear on this.
Thanks,
Gene
Old 07-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Platinum

Six weeks is unreasonable .... especially with a work load. A good tutorial can be done in six days but both "improvement" and (particularly) the "outstanding project" categories require creativity and originality .... something that doesn't mix well with deadlines.

This is a great opportunity to begin a project I have in mind but there's no way I'm gonna rush it.

I do hope the competition remains relatively even because I would like to see the new guys benefit the most.

----

Hey Steve, you crack me up buddy!!!
Old 07-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Gold

I won't be entering the contest........

BUT...I will be doing a few pretty Kool pieces to go on display at the "W J Clinton Presidential Library" from Sept till Feb.
Possibly a complete S&S polished motor, if it gets to me in time

So I'll try to post some progress pics, and useless verbage, as I go.."IF" time permits.........

Good LUCK to all who enter this contest....I'm definatly looking forward to watching, & enjoying........

Steve.....
Nothing to be sorry about.....
But I figgered you would enter this one for sure....with your new airgraver

Have FUN Kiddzzzz......

CJs Motorcycle Engraving Class
CJs BLOG
& CJs ENGRAVING
Old 07-03-2008, 12:01 AM
Platinum

Quote:
if one is going to try for the most improved and 2 submissions are required for this category, is one submission to be at the beginning of the contest and the other at the end of the contest in order to judge how much improvement that person has made? Or, do you mean at least 2 submissions by the end of the contest?
Gene-- the "Most Improved" category does imply some time interval between projects, but as long as there are two projects posted by the end of the contest we won't be too strict about what that time interval is. Starting a second project while still working on the first, for example, I think is perfectly fair. What we're looking for is that you learn something from the early projects and are able to apply those lessons to the later ones.

Keep in mind also that everyone competing with multiple submissions will be under the same time constraints, so we ought to end up with a level playing field.

Quote:
Six weeks is unreasonable .... especially with a work load. A good tutorial can be done in six days but both "improvement" and (particularly) the "outstanding project" categories require creativity and originality .... something that doesn't mix well with deadlines.
WVEngraver-- I asked Dad about extending the contest deadline, and he's flexible. What do you guys think would be a reasonable timeframe?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:22 AM
Platinum

Hi Kaitlin, I hope your father goes well you pay for your work ;-)
For the time, I believe that if you let 1 month to an engraver for a job, he will make a 1 month and if you let him 1 year, he will do in 1 year but you will not have the same result.
On August 15, it seems to me good because it requires that setting a deadline
Old 07-03-2008, 02:24 AM
Gold

Quote:
2. Most informative Tutorial-
This category rewards the single project that is most helpful from an educational standpoint. The sketches, photos, and commentary accompanying the project that are most helpful to all of the forums' engraving community will be judged the winner.
Does this also include non-engraved tutorials. Some individuals are doing other things with their engravers, from reprousee work, to setting stones...
Old 07-03-2008, 07:56 AM
Platinum

Might I suggest that for 'Most Improved' your first submission can be something you've recently done, rather than requiring you to start a new project just for your 'baseline'?

I'd also vote for allowing 'related' tutorials, including say, business issues (working eBay, setting prices), photography, fixtures, all those handy things.

C.J. - Nope. I figure I've won the top prize and it's only fair to stay on the sidelines for a while. My new AirGraver probably will help me improve faster - being able to 'sneak' in some engraving time at lunch is a big advantage.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 07-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD
Might I suggest that for 'Most Improved' your first submission can be something you've recently done, rather than requiring you to start a new project just for your 'baseline'?

I'd also vote for allowing 'related' tutorials, including say, business issues (working eBay, setting prices), photography, fixtures, all those handy things.
I would rather see the deadline extended than to allow "pre existing work" to be a factor. My thought is to see some of the very beginners show us where they are, and see how far they can go in a short time. Also, a more experienced engraver can show their current baseline, and push themselves over the next month and a half to reach a new plataeu. That is a way to win this category also. If someone starts with a beginner type bulino skill set, and really kicks it up several nothces during the contest, that would be great!

As far as other topics for the tutorials, My opinion is that it should involve some cutting or chasing or something related to the use of Steve's tools.

Kaitlin, Welcome aboard!

Glad my ramblings could help.

take care,

Tom
Old 07-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Platinum

CJ,

Looking forward to seeing that engine. Hope you post the pictures.

------------

Kaitlin,

Thank-you for pestering your Dad ... hehehe!!

Maybe staggering these contests would work....it would also give the judges more breathing space. 6 weeks for the tutorial, 8 or 10 weeks for the improvement with multiple submissions at predetermined dates before the deadline and 12 weeks for the outstanding submission.

Just a suggestion and many thanks for responding!!!

Chris
Old 07-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Platinum

PatP, SVD, and gravertom--
Although there is nothing specific preventing one from entering a related/non-engraving tutorial (other than the general forum policies, of course) keep in mind that the best tutorials will be those that are applicable to the community as a whole. Some members are professionals, some are amateurs, some are hobbyists. Writing a tutorial on Ebay or photography may only appeal to a certain niche. Therefore your best bet, imo, would be to stick with the common denominator--actual engraving.

SVD and gravertom--
In the interest of equality, I do think it would be best that all entries, even "baseline" projects for the Most Improved category, to have been started after the contest began. This is not just to give the beginning-beginners a fair shot, but also to give the judges a consistent format to judge. Improvement is not necessarily a more polished product, but could conceivably be an improvement somewhere in your process. Maybe one was able to churn out something of equal quality in half the time, or even attempted the exact same project a second time with a different method. In order to see your improvement, everyone would want to see your concept, your thought process, even in the first piece.

Chris--
A possible problem with staggering the deadlines is that a person could, in theory, be in the running for more than one category. Ending a project in time for the Most Informative deadline, only to find that it would have won Most Outstanding had you put the extra weeks in, I think would not be a happy situation :(

On that note, however, Dad points out that if we'd like to extend the deadline, that it only makes sense to reward the winners proportionally for the extra work put in. If we make the contest 8 weeks (deadline on Aug. 29th), winners will receive $600 towards a Classic/PalmControl/Upgrade to PC, and if we'd like 10 weeks (Sept. 12th) prizes will be $700. 8 or 10 weeks sound good? Or stay at 6 weeks and $500?
Old 07-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Platinum

Kaitlin, What are you studying in college? Be careful, your Dad may hire you as business manager! Then you will never escape us!!

:willy_nilly: :smilie5:

Anyway, Your dad is already generous enough. Any deadline time is fine with me. i would rather not see him up the prize value myself, but it is up to him...

Thanks again,

Tom
Old 07-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Gold

I personally would like to make an attempt at the 'Most Improved' category. Since multiple submissions will be required for this category I would vote in favor of a 10 week time frame. Quality of multiple submissions would be the goal. That said, I will go with whatever the majority decides.
Gene
Old 07-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Platinum

I am going to throw my two cents worth in here just for grins.

Since this forum is dedicated to Lindsay tools and the engraving accomplished with them I would think that the contest should evolve around a project or projects accomplished specifically with Lindsay Engraving equipment. Perhaps one contest for those who use the Classic with foot pedal and one for Palm users since both tools have their own characteristics.

I would add that the final submission be a "salable item" with a market value sufficient to warrent the prize. IE no practice plates or low end items.

The documentation process should be complete, Both verbally and image wise as this would also be a great exercise for those who wish to get seriously involved in the engraving world. In short it should be a portfolio piece. Limited to pure talent and standard tools and techniques which are available to all.

Now with that in mind, watchout.

Steve
Old 07-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Platinum

Good input Steve.
take care,

Tom
Old 07-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Steel

Send a message via Skype™ to vilts

I think, in the light of 'Most Improved' category - the more time we have, the better. So I'm with Gene and vote 10 weeks of timeframe. 10 or 8 weeks should give enough time to do multiple projects in that time and give more chance to improve. Of course guys who've been engraving for 30 years wouldn't improve much in that time, but that's the idea, right.

Steve E. By 'market value sufficient to warrent the prize' you mean that my engraving should be worth as much as the prize is, eg $500? I think to reach that price level for just my engraving I'd have to work several more years . Right now even the engraved knives I make aren't worth that much. Or maybe I just misunderstood.

Viljo
Old 07-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Platinum

Quote:
Kaitlin, What are you studying in college? Be careful, your Dad may hire you as business manager! Then you will never escape us!!
oh noes! There's no escape! :O

My major is a mouthful-- Biological/Pre-Medical Illustration, bpmi for short. I want to be a medical illustrator someday, draw pictures of body parts for doctor's textbooks and medical reports, that sort of thing. It takes a special certification and a couple years in med school.

Quote:
I personally would like to make an attempt at the 'Most Improved' category.
Sounds great, Gene. Remember that you don't have to choose to compete in one category or another, though; everybody's automatically eligible for all three.

Quote:
Since this forum is dedicated to Lindsay tools and the engraving accomplished with them I would think that the contest should evolve around a project or projects accomplished specifically with Lindsay Engraving equipment.
You're onto something here, Steve E.
I don't think it's necessary to have a specific rule about this, however.... it'd be tough to enforce when all we've got to go by are pictures of the engraving, not the tool used. Just be sure to follow the forum policies and it'll be fine. I imagine the judges may be swayed by photos that happen to show Lindsay equipment, however.

Quote:
I would add that the final submission be a "salable item" with a market value sufficient to warrent the prize. IE no practice plates or low end items.
The judges may take the value of the item into account while choosing winners, so this is another solid tip for folks looking to win Most Outstanding. In the interest of the beginners, however, there are no requirements for what canvas one chooses to engrave on.

Quote:
The documentation process should be complete, Both verbally and image wise
Absolutely! I envision the best submissions to also be the most complete and organized.

It looks like the general consensus at this point is to extend the contest deadline past 6 weeks. Let's give it at least the rest of the weekend to fish for some more opinions before deciding between 8 and 10.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Platinum

Kaitlin,

Thank-you for answering my questions.

Chris
Old 07-05-2008, 06:52 AM
Platinum

Hi Kaitlin,

That sounds like a demanding but cool major. Good to see the artistic talents carry on into another generation in your family.

happy belated 4th!

Tom
Old 07-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Platinum

You're welcome, Chris, I hope that made sense.

Happy 4th, Tom :D The major is great... this semester I got to go straight from figure drawing--usually covered in charcoal dust, -- to botany lecture to learn about how to tell sedges from rushes. It was awesome.

Regarding the contest: On reflection, in order to encourage feedback on these submission threads, I'm going to copy-paste each one onto the general forums. That way anyone who wants to comment on the submissions may do so over there, without hassling the contestant to post twice each update. Contestants, if you'd prefer I *not* post your submission for feedback, send me a private message or reply to this thread.

Keep giving me opinions for the deadline change! tyvm.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:28 AM
Steel

Hi Kaitlin

When I recieve my airgraver from you dad I will want to have a bit play and practice with it, see how i can improve on earlier work ( just posted in the gallery section paul66 ).
I am thinking of posting my new airgraver practice in this in this contest.
My Question. Should I start a seperate thread for each idea and its progression (thinking of two ideas at the moment ) or keep it all in one post, where it may look a bit messy

Paul
Old 07-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Platinum

Hi Paul-- one thread per idea would be best. I want lots of threads! :D

Kaitlin
Old 07-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Copper

Default Re: Tutorial Contest ~ $2100 in prizes ~ Welcome

so im guessing that this will also be hosted on Youtube.com.... or at least i recommend it.
Whats a better tutorial than a video ?
(in this case anyways since we wont be seein eachother)
Old 07-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Platinum

Daniel-- Although not originally what was envisioned, if we have any particularly computer-savvy contestants I don't see anything wrong with choosing to include embedded videos as part of a submission. Keeping in mind the fourth numbered forum policy, however ("We want to build an inclusive archive of engraving help information. Toward that end, if possible please include your suggestions directly in your posts rather than providing links or references to other online sources, which can often become unavailable."), it would also be a good idea to provide a text description/transcript of any videos you share. And just to emphasize, videos are totally optional-- still pictures and text alone are just fine, too.

It looks like the majority would like to extend the contest deadline, so we've officially changed the date to Friday, September 12th, 10 weeks from the start of the contest. In addition, winners will now receive $700 towards a new Classic AirGraver, a Classic PalmControl or a PalmControl upgrade! Good luck!
Old 07-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Platinum

Hi, I have a question. I'd like to submit a scrimshaw tutorial but I want to make sure it won't get thrown out because.... I started the preliminary work (sketch, layout) before the contest started. But I'm just starting the actual scrim itself now. Is that okay?

Thanks!

Katherine
Old 07-20-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatherinePlumer
Hi, I have a question. I'd like to submit a scrimshaw tutorial but I want to make sure it won't get thrown out because.... I started the preliminary work (sketch, layout) before the contest started. But I'm just starting the actual scrim itself now. Is that okay?

Thanks!

Katherine
I don't see that as being a problem. I think that rule was geared more toward the "most Improved Engraving" contest so there would be a benchmark set for each engraver's skill level at the time to have something on record to compare with when the contest ends. Let er' rip tater chip.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatherinePlumer

Thanks!

Katherine

Katherine-- That's fine, just be sure to include photos of your sketches and other preliminary work so we can see the process in its entirety.

Also, Dad says thank you for the apricot jam, he's finished the first jar and is working on the second. Let us know when the other trees are ripe. :D
Old 07-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Platinum

Kaitlin I started my submission thread on the main forum:
David Gruber Contest Submission
Do I move it over here? also how do I upload more photos it says that I'm over my limlt?

Thanks David
Thomas
Jefferson
Old 07-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Platinum

Hi David, I left your thread over on the main forum as is, just changed the title to "submission discussion." Then I made a new thread on this forum for the actual submission and quoted the posts you've already made. It's right here. Feel free to reply to either (or both!) with further updates; I'll copy-paste whatever's missing from one thread to the other.

Try following the steps listed here to post pictures. That ought to solve the trouble with your attached files.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Platinum

Hey guys,
Just wanted to remind everyone that we'd like to keep the threads in this forum clean and easily readable for judging. If you have a comment or suggestion regarding a contest submission, please post a reply in its respective ---Contest Submission Discussion--- thread over on the general forums.

Look at the very top of a submission for a sentence that looks like this:

(If you would like to comment on this submission, you may do so by posting a reply in this thread. Thanks! Kaitlin)

and click on the link "this thread" to go directly to the appropiate discussion.

Thank you much!
Kaitlin
Old 09-15-2008, 02:49 AM
Steel

Default Re: 1st Tutorial Contest ~ $2100 in prizes ~ Welcome

Hola a todos siento el no saver bien el idioma que es algo importante para tener un buen contacto.
Me llamo Dimas Sanchez soy de Valladolid (Espaņa) tengo 22 aņos de esperiencia como grabador pero no utilizo neumaticos con lo que estoy interesado en aprender como se maneja y que posivilidades tiene el engraver
desde luego un buen tutorial seria fantastico.
para no perderme en comentarios del foro y tener que traducir todo si podeis pongo una seccion en Spanis donde podeis colgar solo los tutoriales.
muchas gracias un saludo.
www.dimassm.es
Old 09-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Default Re: 1st Tutorial Contest ~ $2100 in prizes ~ Welcome

Hi Dimas, Try this link. It will translate the whole site and tutorials to Spanish:
http://translate.google.com/translat...-8&sl=en&tl=es

Steve
EngravingArtist.com