Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 04-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Copper

Default Hiya

Hi, my name is Zack, I come from the land of New Jersey. I have had some basic instruction of hand engraving from my time at the New Approach School for jewelry several years back. I am just now re-picking up my gravers to restart my learning curve on this.

I haven't really had the money to purchase all the right equipment (IE need to pick up a block or some such, probably a pitch bowl) to have at it right away. I am going to be taking my first attempt at engraving a ring hopefully this weekend. I have been "wasting" a lot of scrap copper practicing on crude ring blanks I've made.

I would one day want to get a real block, and have been considering the small block from GRS for portability and the sheer lack of space it takes up. As I have no real solid place just to do work right yet. Most of it is all at the kitchen table currently.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Gold

Default Re: Hiya

welcome. where in New Jersey are you? I am in Philadephia, four minutes from the I95 Girard exit.
I have three extra blocks to sell, priced $50 to $180. Hopefully you could pick up and save shipping.
Kevin Scott
Old 04-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Copper

I live in Morris County near 287, probably about 1.5-2hours from you. I'd definitely be interested in at least hearing more about the blocks. IE what type and if any accessories (pins and ring holders) would come with them.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Platinum

ZV. Grab a used block. would be worth a couple hour drive on a nice day to save hundreds of dollars. You can make all the pins and holding appliances out of hard wood if you have to. I use my block that I started with over 40 years ago. chickenscratcher
Old 04-15-2011, 05:31 AM
Gold

Zack, I will post some pictures of my extra vises. Meantime, check Ebay. There are three vises on now that are at low prices. I have tried to price mine at the low end of what they would bring on Ebay. One of mine is like the one without top jaws. That one I figure at $85. The $50 one is a ball like a cannnon ball, with a large slot cut out with two side screws to hold work. Does not spin-rotate. Can be used with a turntable to rotate. Or maybe suitable for hammer and chisel. The third is probably from the 1950-60's? About 14 lbs. Has jaws etc, lock pin, pretty much the same as a modern ball with any special features like centering. Have a pin-work holding set for it for an extra $20. This one is the same as the ball vise I use and am very happy with it.
Also have a complete drill press sharpening system with arbor, coarse stone for roughing out steel gravers, and a rigged up splash system. A low cost small Harbor Freight drill press. But works fine for sharpening. cost $55. Don't need now since I got a power hone that has varible and higher speeds.
Probably have other stuff to sell at a reasonable price. Including a ring holder.
I can show you what I have been doing. Can't make you a great engraver, but can show you some things not to buy, and how to not waste time like I have.
The drill press is almost as important as a ball vise if you don't have a good way to rough out gravers.
So, "Come On Down". Kevin Scott

Last edited by Kevin; 04-15-2011 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Forgot ring holder
Old 04-15-2011, 05:37 AM
Gold

Also Zack, Maybe you should not be practicing on rings until you can work well on flat surfaces. Curved surfaces are 10 times harder to do. Kevin Scott
Old 04-15-2011, 06:41 AM
Copper

Well I've been practicing only on curved surfaces in copper making it into ring blanks to work on. The only problem with working on a flat surface for me right now is no way to physically hold it steady. Rings I have a benchmate that I can work on. But that doesn't do well for holding plates or anything similar (had the benchmate for a bout 4 years now and love it)
Old 04-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Gold

[Zack, here is what I have for sale. the drill press has a 6'' grinding stone. The vise without the upper jaws needs to be cleaned up but functions fine. Not as ugly as the picture shows. there is no means to lock the rotation. The vise with the jaws for pins comes with a doughnut that works well, though might not be a genuine engraver ball doughnut. let me know if you are interested.ATTACH]7433[/ATTACH]

IMG_5456.jpg

Kevin Scott
IMG_5457.jpg

IMG_5458.jpg

IMG_5454.jpg

IMG_5459.jpg

IMG_5460.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5453.jpg (66.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Copper

I am going to have to pass right now, As I just had a pitch bowl and package of pitch ordered or me as a congratulation present at being accepted into an art school for metal and jewelry. So I need to save my money to afford it now.