Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Steel

Default New Guy

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am a knife maker and am very interested in learning engraving to add to my knife making. I am slowly aquiring tools and practicing as often as time allows. I would like to give a special thank you to all the pros out there for sharing their information and keeping the art of engraving alive.

I currently own Steve's Palm Graver, and several of Steve's engraver templates. I have been working at my knife bench and see a need to develop an engraving bench. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the correct height of the vise. I know there will be some tweaking, but a starting point would be great. As I do not have a microscope yet, I need to consider the height when I finally get to own a scope. Thanks again for all of the help.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Platinum

Default Re: New Guy

Welcome, I bought a couple 6' tables from Sam's club and they work out great, you will need some way to set your vise with a drill press or some other way to adjust the height
of the vise...
There's allot info on the forum as what we use just search...
Jerry
Old 02-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Platinum

Distilling down everything I've read it seems to be: whatever is comfortable for you.

If you get into engraving you're going to be sitting at that bench working for hours at a time so if something's a little too high or low you will feel it. Likewise if your setup requires you to be in any sort of contortion you will (eventually) feel that too.

Since you don't have a scope yet you'll want the top of your vise up quite a bit higher so you can work with the least amount of stooping over. You may even want to work standing up (since you've got a Palm Graver and don't have to worry about working a foot pedal).

When you get your scope the advice I've retained is: Set your chair so you're sitting comfortably and ergonomically correctly - including having your foot on the foot pedal if you have one.

Now set your scope so the eyepieces are right in front of you so there's no strain in looking through them for as long as you like.

Now bring your vise up to where it needs to be to see it.

In theory you're now all properly positioned. In realilty you'll probably tweak things a few times before you find the perfect setup.

Good luck and be sure to show us some of your work!

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 02-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Platinum

Welcome aboard the board Matson. There's everything you need to learn right here and I guarantee you'll have a few laughs and some fun while yer at it!!

There are a lotta photos posted by other members of their shops in these threads. Really cool to see how others have got their gear set up.

I use an old steel "L" shaped office desk with the computer monitor and drawing space on the right and vise and engraving gear on the left. "Engrave, a quick pivot to the right and then a forum post."

Chris
Old 02-24-2009, 02:45 AM
Platinum

Welcome on the forum
Old 02-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Gold

How about some pictures of your knives ? Welcome to this forum, you'll find a bunch of talented & helpful guys here.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Steel

Thanks to all of you for the info. Since this post, I have aquired my scope and am setting up shop now. I will post with my set up on my vise. I posted a request on the transfer process and am waiting for help in getting a decent transfer. I will post my first practice plate if you guys promise not to hurt yourselves laughing. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Platinum

Matson, we like to see new peoples work and how it advances. Any questions always feel free to ask.
Carl Bleile
southwest, Ohio