Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 12-12-2006, 06:45 PM
Platinum

Talking Introduction

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Gail Meyer. I am not an engraver, yet, but I hope to be one someday. Engraving is something I have wanted to learn for at least 20 years. Until recently I had neither the time nor money to pursue it beyond reading some of what was available, and researching available tools and systems. One day I had one of those "well, Gail, if you are ever gonna do it, ya better get in gear or you will wind up just being an iffer not an iser.
I spent this afternoon experimenting (yes, playing) with my new Lindsay Airgraver. This Summer I may be able to take a basics course from Mr. Cover. Time is still a small problem but I'm workin' on that too. Wheeeee, I am on my way!
I will probably be more of a lurker here than a contributor, but I wanted you all to know I am all ears and hungry to learn.
Thanks to all for being here. Gail

Old 12-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Gold

Default Re: Introduction

Hi Gail

Good for you!!!! You go for it..............you've taken the first steps and they are always the hardest.

Lurk as much as you want and ask as many questions as you need. We all have to start somewhere.

Best wishes
Andrew Biggs
Old 12-13-2006, 06:58 AM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to Ray Cover Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Cover

Hi Gail,

Welcome aboard.

Ray

http://learningtoengrave.com/
Old 12-13-2006, 08:02 AM
Steel

Send a message via AIM to Randy

Hi Gail. I am not far ahead of you, so don't feel like the only "beginner" here. I have a lot of questions as I gain momentum. Hopefully you'll find your time here helpful. I certainly do.
-Randy
Old 12-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Gold

I too welcome you to this board. As stated, feel free to ask for help and to be sure, you will receive many answers to your questions. There are many of us here with many years experience ( I have been a firearm engraver for 48 years) that can short cut many problems you may encounter. The best advice I can offer is to practice, practice, practice the basic cuts first, learn how to draw and lay out your scroll to accomidate the lines of the particular piece you are to engrave. And, of course, ask questions. Of there is a competent engraver in your area, give him a call & ask if you might stop by for a short visit to ask for guidence. You can learn alot in a few minutes by just watching. Good luck, Ken
Old 12-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Gold

Send a message via MSN to Harold

Hello and Welcome !
Old 12-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Gold

Welcome aboard, Gail.
Ken gave you some good advise and he has a record of advancing some great engravers.
You will never regret the time you spend in Ray's class.
It will give you a great foundation to build on.
You don't need to just lurk. Sing out if the rest of us can be of help.
We all love engraving and the free exchange of information.
Best of luck in your new adventure.

John B.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Platinum

Welcome Gail
Jump in and enjoy the class is a good idea. Great bunch of folk here.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:58 PM
Gold

Hello friend ...:D Youve come to the rite place.... Jim
Old 12-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Steel

Hello Gail and welcome
i look forword to seeing some of your work !
its allways nice to post pic's of what we are working on, and its allways nice to look at others works .
Old 12-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Platinum

Say Gail, now that you have the tool - and you don't know anything - what do you think of "just cutting" with it! Is it hard, easy, something in between? Is it intuitive or confusing? Now, this is about the tool, not your ability to make good looking scrolls.

Also, I took a course from Montgromery School - it was correspondence, with some mailings (so he could see the actual work). While waiting, I suggest that route. There are also a ton of books out there (almost all of them old) but still valuable.

Please take a few hours and search out the other posts in this area - there are bunches of them dealing with "new" questions and techniques. Just copying some of the pics and pasting into word and then printing them and cutting them would be a great help to you. You only want to start on the simpler designs though. But you are a DOER not a DREAMER so welcome to the DOER'S society!! The FEW the PROUD the ENGRAVER'S!!
Old 12-18-2006, 06:26 PM
Platinum

Thank you all for the welcome!
Things I have recently learned, or re-learned:
1. Preparation of the metal is always important, whether fabricating jewelry, or learning to make a series of lines on a practice plate.
2. Its only a tool, an aid, a means to an end....jump in and use it. One can learn more maybe from mistakes than from worrying if you are 'doing it right'.
3. Control of your thinking is just as important as control of your hands.
I have taken pieces from the ' scrap metal' box, and played at engraving something in 'real time'...even though it is eventually headed to the refiners. That was real time fun.
A change in where the airline attaches to the graver made a big difference for me but the airgraver itself is a wonderful product of Steve's ingenuity, and I thank him. Behind sight, I am thinking that the Palm Graver might have been a better choice in eliminating the foot factor from the equation, but needless to say, the more I practice the more things will come without thinking so that I can concentrate on the art part of it all. Yes indeed, I am surely enjoying this new venture! Thanks again to you all. Gail