Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 12-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Copper

Cool new Coin Carver from washington

Hi Everybody! well, it was well more than due time for me to join this engraving forum. ive been carving "hobo nickels" for the past year. basically
altering the face of the native american, or putting an entirely new image on the coin.
i intend to thoroughly examine this site and try to absorb all the information i can possibly use.

to be honest, i have no idea how to engrave! my process to create the images on my coins is more of a "chasing" process. i get unique results using the chasing method, but my way cannot even come close to the carvings of
the people that have mastered the use of their gravers.

anybody that has not heard of carved coins or "hobo nickels"
should check out : http://www.hobonickels.org/

or see my personal archive of carved coins at:
http://s662.photobucket.com/albums/uu342/erictruitt/
Old 12-07-2009, 01:32 AM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer
Default Re: new Coin Carver from washington

Hi Eric,
That is some amazing collection you build up
All just by chasing? Truly amazing. Thanks for showing.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:24 AM
Steel

Hello Eric
very nice job on your coins!
what part of Washington are you from?
Im in Post falls Just across the border in Idaho
Dave
Old 12-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Copper

I live up past Colville. looks like im gonna be moving over to the other side of the cascades though, closer to Mt. Rainier.
im gonna miss our area, all the rural forest areas, old mines, rivers, etc..
around mt. rainier has a good mix of qualities though, get to live in the woods and still have access to the assets of a city (sea-tac).

its all chasing ,and scraping, and using a chipping chisel to take little chips of metal out of the recesses. im trying to assemble some pictures of my tools and processes. so maybe some of you guys will see what im doing, and offer up some tips for improvements. alot of my successes have been acidental and slow coming, and others only because somebody came along and taught me something.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Copper

So, this is what im working with. ive made these chisels from drill bits & shaped them to various geometries,and always trying to figure out new shapes to make for texturing etc.
then , i made this little anvil from a chunk of steel, and then made a copper cradle to put the nickel into. it is so important to have the little cradle because alot of the work involves angling my chisel 45* to chip out the background.
ok so i know this is totally ghetto, and i intend to get one of those engravers vises in the future. this works for now. one problem with not having it clamped is that any 45* chiseling that is close to the edge generally causes the coin to twist in the cradle, and so its like a battle of wits between the coin and i, and im losing...
but this is it basically. i had a tough time getting images of the tips, but primarily i have 2 size flat tips for smoothing things out, and 3 thicknesses of liners. and 3 points of diferent radii. and a scraping tool, a crescent texturing tool, triangular texturing, annd teardrop texturing.
oh yeah and m most important tool looks like the liners but is more sharp at the tip with only the slightest radiused edge, it is what i use to do the stock removal, i have 2 of these, one is vary narrow .063" for tight areas, and the other larger .125" . for chipping out larger areas.
obviously cant wait to learn to use a graver!!! LOL !!
Peace!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0139.JPG (185.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0142.JPG (193.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0144.JPG (189.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06328.jpg (56.4 KB, 55 views)
Old 12-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Platinum

Welcome to our Forum! Somehow I think you'll fit in here just fine, between re-facing coins and makin' yer own toolz 'n such.
Check out Steve's package with a push graver and template, then find Ron's (jim zim's) home made vise from a 4" caster and you will be hooked!
However, your coins look great just the way you do them
Gail
here is the search to use to make your own vise. jimzim is the genious that designed it! 'Jim Zim's Caster Vice'
Old 12-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Copper

Fine work. Nice collection.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Steel

Welcome and WOW, a great portfolio of coins. Nice tools too.

You are also just a hop and a skip from Chasing and Repousse technique - lot of the same tools & similar processes. If you don't do it already you might want to check it out online, explanation here...
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...d_repousse.htm

again - Welcome
Old 02-23-2010, 11:34 PM
Copper

the refacing coin stuff is pretting cool. I also checked out coin cutting and its all very interesting
Old 02-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Steel

Welcome to the group. there are several coin carvers on this forum, so you should fit right in. you're not left handed, are you?

Joe Paonessa
(America's greatest left handed hobo nickle carver)
Old 03-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Copper

Hey everyone, I am wanting to start engraving but an bran new to it. I went to school to be a machinist and am now going to school focusing on Jewelry. This quarter I am learning chasing and repoussé. I have picked up a couple of hammer hand peices that go on a Rio Grande flexshaft that I have been told can hold gravers. Is this the way to go or would you guys say starting out by hand is better? Also I live in Eastern Wa (moses Lake area) and all of the schools I have seen for engraving seem so far away. Any advise? thx
Old 04-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Copper

Hey Josh,
Steve offers an inexpensive way to get started: A hand powered graver handle kit. I am interested in this art myself but have yet to get started. Good luck. Bill
Old 06-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Steel

Welcome you will not find a better group of people for advice and support.

Also I live in Tacoma. I have done a few nickels my self. I am in the middle of one right now. If you ever want to get together and talk engraving and nickels let me know.