Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 08-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Steel

Default Need recipes

I spend a great deal of time with the Boy Scouts and just got a new Dutch Oven to help them with the campout cooking.
Does anyone have any good recipes for Dutch Oven cuisine?
Thanks a bunch!
Brian
Old 08-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to Ray Cover Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Cover
Default Re: Need recipes

If you take a 9" aluminum pie pan and turn it upside down in the bottom it makes a good oven for baking biscuts. The pie pan holds the biscuts off the bottom so they don't burn on the bottom. When they are about half done flip the whole "cake" of biscuts over to brown the other side. Make a batch of gravy in your skillet and you got a nice camp breakfast.

This same technique works awesome for baking trout streamside. Wrap the clean trout in heavy foil with a few pats of butter, garlic, and season salt. Bake on top of the upsidedown pie pan. Here it helps to put a few hot coals on the lid to even out he heat inside. Not to many though this is more efficient than one would think.

The best chilli in the world is made in a dutch oven. Brown your meat in the bottom with some sliced onion as if you were doing it in a skillet. Add a can of tomato sauce and three cans of chilli beans and season to your liking. Let it simmer for a while and feed those boys.

Now you know why I can't sit as close to my engraving vise as I used to.

Got to go to bed now,

Ray

http://learningtoengrave.com/
Old 08-29-2006, 09:58 AM
Platinum

Ray,
I also Do Trout in the Eastern TVL. Area, But Please Buddy, Lay of the CARLIC and Hot Stuff, ( I have A Inherent Dislike to Anything Hot ("Indian Style!!) That is Our Local Guys Not Your Red Indians.) I Normally cover it in Butter,(That is the No Heart Decease Stuff!!) then I fill the inside with Sliced Onion and Tomotoes, with Pepper and Seasoning as Reqiured, Cover it in TINFOIL, and put it on the Barbecue Fire, (Braai out Here!!)
Hey MAN, What A Feast !!!!
ChrisB
Old 08-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to Ray Cover Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Cover

Come on Chris,

Garlic is good stuff.

Garlic is a fisherman's friend. There is something magic about it. I know from experience.

Do you know that if you eat enough garlic that misquitoes won't dare to bite, neither will most other bugs.

It also has an effect on fishermen. I can't tell you how many times I have entered a trout stream and had all the other fishermen mysteriously dissappear. Its nice to have a whole stream to myself. That doesn't happen when I don't eat enough garlic.

Tongue planted firmly in cheek,

Ray

http://learningtoengrave.com/
Old 08-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Gold

Hi Brian.
Enjoyed seeing you again in Kansas last weekend.
If you have cable, Direct TV or Dish network they have a channel RFD TV, the farm network, that has a program called "camp cooking" devoted to the Dutch oven.
RFD also has a magazine which I expect has some information on the subject.
One of my favorites is a simple and good desert.
Mix a box of Bisquick a little dry, spread it in the Dutch and pour in a large can of peaches in heavy syrup, juce and all.
Stir the peaches, juce and Bisquick together and let-er-rip.
Makes a great peach cobbler for a hungry bunch.
Have fun with the Scouts and thank both you and Ray for all your time and efforts to show the next generation the right path.
Best regards, John.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:42 PM
Gold

OK Guys
Here are some recipes that’ll blow your socks off…….

Trout 1: Throw trout in fire embers. No wrapping, stuffing or anything. In a few minutes skin turns black and that’s when it’s ready. Pull out of fire and eat with fingers with plenty of salt and butter with some wild herbs thrown in.

A variation of this is to wrap in wet newspaper and throw in fire (you can do this in the oven as well). When paper dries out and starts to burn the trout is cooked. Pull out of fire and when you peel off the paper it pulls the skin with it. Eat with lashings of salt and knobs of lemon butter. For some reason it tastes better when you use your fingers to eat it with.

Trout 2: Fillet trout. Lay out on plate. Pour a few teaspoons of rum over fillets and place a teaspoon of brown sugar on each piece. Cover and leave for a few hours. To cook, just simply smoke fillets for about 10 minutes. Serve on lettuce leaf with a few sprigs of fresh parsley. Great entrée.

You can use a Dutch Oven for smoking by putting a tray/grill at the bottom to lift the trout up. Sprinkle bottom of oven with whatever wood you guys use for smoking (we use manuka) Place over fire for a few minutes till cooked and smoked.

Trout 3: Fillet trout. Place in frying pan or Dutch oven. Cover trout with beer (a nice malt one about ¼ to ½ a can or small bottle then drink the rest!!!!) simmer until cooked, usually about 5 -10 minutes.

Dutch oven 1: Any casserole or stew cooks really well. Any wild meat, bird, rabbit, pig or venison combined with mushrooms and onions. If a little thin and needs bulking out use potatoes as a natural thickener. If using venison try throwing a couple of rashes of bacon in about 5-10 minutes before serving. Any sooner boils out the flavour.

Dutch oven 2: Whole roasts or chicken can successfully done by combining a stand up tray at the bottom of the oven (the cast iron one works well) to keep the meat off the bottom of the Dutch oven which keeps it from burning. Just put the tray at the bottom of the oven then put a small amount of water in and put the meat on top with liberal amounts of salt sprinkled over the top. Cook slowly for an hour or two depending on how big the roast is. If you’re really daring you can impregnate the meat with herbs and garlic simply by jabbing the roast with a knife and stuffing the garlic down the hole. Do it all over and the taste goes all through the meat.

Wild rabbit…………this is a must try recipe!!!!!
Once rabbit is clean and dressed, cut back legs off. Sort of like a rabbit drum stick. Gently simmer in water till cooked. Roll legs in flour then in beaten egg then in bread crumbs (messy as hell but worth it) Then fry gently till golden brown. Better than Kentucky Fried Chicken.

The most important thing with a Dutch oven as with any cast iron cookware is to season it properly. Wash to get any oils out. Lightly rub over with cooking oil and place in oven or fire to heat so that the iron absorbs the oil. Repeat this several times if necessary. This builds up an almost non-stick layer and makes the iron go black. When cleaning and washing don’t use anything abrasive just soapy water and a cloth. When clean lightly rub with oil and heat as above so the oven doesn’t rust. With age they just get better and better.

Cheers
Andrew Biggs

Last edited by Andrew Biggs; 08-29-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:05 PM
Steel

Thanks for the recipes. Never thought about cooking fish in one and I'll bet the chili is first rate!
Hey John Barraclough...it was great to be with you again in Kansas. Thanks for the cobbler tip. Sounds easy enough for a hack like me to put together.
Keep 'em coming!
Brian
Old 08-29-2006, 10:34 PM
Gold

Hey Brian

Here's one I forgot to mention............

You can also make bread in them and scones. Same recipies as conventional ovens but make sure you put the dough on the tray at the bottom so you don't burn their bums.

Cheers
Andrew
Old 08-31-2006, 09:32 AM
Platinum

O.K. Guys,
I don,t Know Why I still Post Here At This LATE time, I have A SHOW Tommorow, But Hech its FUN to Chat To Ya All. :D

Andrew I like Your Recipy 2# With Rum, I have Done It, In The Twilight Zone,
Myaby Tasted To Much RUM? :D

Where Do Ya All Come With The Ducth Oven Story, My Grandma Used To Cook Everything in Her Earthin Oven Outside At The Farm, AND I'm NOT Dutch !!
But A True Blood "Boerdjie" Look That Up in Your Dictionaries.!! :D

But Guys, Really Enjoy the Outdoors, We Don't Know How Long It Will Be With Us. !!!!

Alright, To Bed Now, a Big Two Days Ahead.

ChrisB.