Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 07-22-2009, 04:09 AM
Copper

Default What three words in the english language start with Dw

I couldnt think of a good title so i decided i would give you a question to expand your knowledge because afterall knowledge is power, Or so it has been said.
Moving on this thread is really just to introduce myself, very nice to meet you i am Gabriel.
For a long time i have been enthralled by the art of engraving i am an artist myself although i mainly use pencils. I would like to get a start in the world of hand engraving (for personal enjoyment).
I have a few questions i dont want to spend $2000 just yet on a palm control engraver, what are some reasonable tools to get me started and where can i buy them i live in sydeny so might have to have certain tools shipped.
Also i would like to know of some good starting books and anything else i need to know to take my first steps.

Yours sincerely

Gabriel
Old 07-22-2009, 07:33 AM
Platinum

Default Re: What three words in the english language start with Dw

To answer your questions
Dwarf, dwarves, dweeb - but there are a lot of other words in the dictionary, including dwang and the names Dwight and Dwayne.

On to the more important things,
Welcome to the forum!

For a great 'getting started' bit look at this thread that AirAmp did for a Tutorial Contest.

There's also this thread that's stickied at the top of the main forum.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 07-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Platinum

G'day Gabriel,

Words starting with "dw"??

This was one of the posers discussed around the poker table in an episode of "West Wing". SVD you got one of the words in dwarf but how about dwindle and dwell?

Gabriel - Are you in Sydney in Oz? If so you will find several suppliers of generic engraving tools in the city however as I have suggested to others who have put the same question I would look at the long term point of view. Getting some of Steve's push tools from this website will allow you to integrate your first purchases with things that will be purchased later on. Look on the order form page and you will see what I mean. Importantly the graver blanks will fit the sharpening templates which would not accomodate the generic gravers.

Also if you are in Sydney why not look at the possibility of enrolling in the TAFE course for engraving. Takes place on 1 night each week for a couple of hours - no idea who teaches it.

Have a good look around and keep asking questions - that's how we all learn.

Roger
Old 07-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Platinum

Gabriel,

Go to the top of this page and click on the word GLOSSARY in red or click the link under my signature. There are over 300 words and terms used by engravers worldwide along with over 400 photos to illustrate each word. I created this resource especially for people like you so that when you pose questions here you can use and understand the jargon.

Good luck,

CRB
Old 07-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Copper

Hello

Thank you all for your quick response. Roger B you are right this is from West Wing the words are dwarf dwindle and dwell, while there are many other words in the english language that start with dw these are the three found in a standard dictionary, others are slang or while they are real words not "standard".
I am in sydeny in Australia.
I am very intrested in this tafe course you are talking about and will contact my local tafe.
I will also have a look at lindsays products as i believe that it is best to spend a little more money straight of and buy quality because then it will last and in the long run save you.

Gabriel
Old 07-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Copper

P.s I juts check and NSW does have and engraving course but it is not currently offered so i cant do that which is most unfortunate