Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 05-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Copper

Default hey from las vegas!

hello all! my name is cornfed,and i am from las vegas nevada. i am a professional tattoo artist for the past 20 years now,and have dabbled a bit in scrimshaw for the past few years. i recently found this forum,while doing a search on how to do color scrimshaw.i must admit,it is an intimidating concept to me so far,butas i look through these forums,and see the beautful work done by the peopel here,i gain a little more confidence!

i'd like to share some of the scrim i had done,and would appreciate any critique positive or negative you'd like to share. i understand that the subject matter may not be liked by some,but i am afterall a tattoo artist . i dont see too many things scrimmed with the stuff i like to do.

thank you for looking,and for helping me on my way to better technique and end results! all the best,and god bless! -fed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00145.jpg (146.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00150.jpg (92.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg blackschrim1.jpg (51.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg blackschrim4.jpg (48.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg skulls3.jpg (53.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg tukscrim3.jpg (16.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg skulls1.jpg (55.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 05-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Platinum

Default Re: hey from las vegas!

cornfed!
Looks like you should'nt have any problem with color scrimshaw neither, nice work!
Quite Giger-stylish:-)
Old 05-16-2010, 10:37 PM
Gold

Welcome to the Forum Cornfed!!
Although as you say your subject matter may not appeal to some, your execution is quite well. You do some very nice work and will find yourself in good company here. Talent flourishes in the Scrimshaw arena and the Forum is a Great place to find it.

Best wishes to you on your quest for colored Scrimshaw. Others will be along shortly to share there wisdom.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Platinum

Default Re: hey from las Vegas!

Your work is great. The detail is outstanding and it is easy to see that you have a good deal of artistic talent. You will find on this and the igraver forum and the knifenetwork -fine embellishment forum that there are many who practice the art of scrim. Color scrim is very popular but the black and white is great as well. Do you work in pointillism or lines or a combination of both? It won't be long until someone talks you into giving bulino style engraving a try or perhaps a bit of nickel carving. The art crosses a wide spectrum of methods. As to your subject mater for these pieces-you will find a great many artist her and musicians and western artists but you will find that there is a fare number of old bikers as well-myself included. You will find several who do motorcycle engraving in its various forms. Welcome and look forward to seeing more of your work.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Copper

thank you so much for the kind words,warm welcome,and wisdom!

i work with a combo of lines and stippling,i use a pin vise,and a sewing needle. to ink my work,i use windsor newton black oil paint.useing qtips and kleenex to wipe away the excess paint.

i have'nt many pieces under my belt yet,and i plan on continuing to learn scrim.
i have thought about bullino,but as of yet have'nt tried it. i only have a small area at my tattoo shop in which to work,and a combination of optivisor and reading glasses for magnification. i would eventually,like to purchase a ball vise,and a microscope to work with,i am sure they would make it all so much easier and steadier for me. also,i'd like to learn more about the grs engravers as they are applied to scrimshaw.

again,i thank you for the warm welcome and look forwatrd to learning and sharing more!
all the best! -fed
Old 05-21-2010, 06:25 AM
Platinum

Hello I'm Panja from Thailand. Very nice scrimshaw.