Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 06-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Copper

Default J.M. Bergling Engraved Copper Plate

I acquired a engraved copper plate that appears to be signed by J. M. Bergling. I've done some research on him, and as you all probably know, he was quite a prolific engraver and author.

What I would like to know if this is an engraving that he actually did himself? It also appears to be something that would be engraved for one of his books.

This is the paper it was wrapped in,
Old 06-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Gold

Default Re: J.M. Bergling Engraved Copper Plate

I have three of his books, two on lettering, and do not see this in any of them. The books are about 8x11. Is your plate book size? Your plate - paper seems to be a sample paper to help the customer and engraver decide how they want their item engraved. It is very beautiful. How about telling us more about what you know about it? Kevin.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Platinum

Outstanding.

Bergling's books were revised and reprinted almost yearly. "Art Monograms and Lettering" was first copyrighted in 1908 and revised to 1918 (that I am aware).

Your plates and prints could be from any of one of the revisions.

The books re-printed by Gem City College Press are incomplete and are missing a lot of the original content.

Great historical find and a wonderful treasure.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Copper

It measures 8 1/4" x 6 1/4". I found it in a collection of old books and magazines I have, it was wrapped in the paper with the sample impression. Other than that I have no other information about it.

I've examined it under a loop and I can see that it is hand engraved.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Platinum

Zarro,

Are you an engraver? A jeweler? If not, do you have any connection to engraving? If you wish to sell that plate I'm sure there are several people on this forum who would have more interest in it than any non-engraver.

CRB
Old 06-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Copper

I'm not an engraver but I do work metal, from jewelry to sculpture. I've examined the entire plate with a loop and I am hard pressed to find any hesitation in the engravings. I am away intrigued by a steady hand that can produce the type of work this plate shows. It's not only natural talent and experience but also a fearless use of engraving tools that inspires anyone with an eye for detail and a love of what can be done with metal.

I was going to mount and frame the plate and sample print so I wasn't really considering selling it at this time. Wouldn't have any idea of its value either.

But I was hoping to find out more about where the plate was used and (Chris Malouf) suggests that it was used in one of Bergling's earlier books.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Steel

Zarro: Its J.M. Bergling 's style and layout. Its priceless john