Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Tutorials and Contests - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 01-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Default New Sharpening Templates 105, 110, 120

Three new templates are ready for the sharpener. All three are in the configuration of the patented Uniform-Parallel Point™ shape.

I have provided paypal buttons here on the forum for them.

120 degree template: $22 plus $5 shipping

110 degree template: $22 plus $5 shipping

105 degree template: $22 plus $5 shipping

All three 105, 110 and 120 templates $66 plus $6 shipping

If you would like to order more than just the above templates (gravers, other templates, or etc..) use the order form page on the HandGravers.com site. These three templates aren't on the order form yet but you may type them in at the bottom of the page on the order form, along with whatever else you would like on the order form by checking the items off.

Links to the various graver sharpening pages and information
Uniform-Parallel Point™ information
Graver Sharpener Instructions
Graver Sharpener and addtional templates info

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++

Sharpener length gauge distances and resulting face/heel angles
The length gauge that comes with the sharpening fixture is 1-¼ long. It will produce a 45 degree face, 16.3 degree high heel. If you instead lock the graver in so it is protruding 1-5/8” it will make a 41 degree face with a 14 degree high heel. Setting the length to 7/8” will produce a 50 degree face with a 19.5 degree high heel. The measurement is from the shoulder on the sharpener. Check where the shipped length gauge measures from. That is the shoulder to measure from.

1.625" = 41 face, 14.0 high heel
1.250" = 45 face, 16.3 high heel
0.875" = 50 face, 19.5 high heel

Steve
EngravingArtist.com
Old 01-10-2009, 04:45 AM
Platinum

Default Re: New Sharpening Templates 105, 110, 120

Steve, was the first 3 templates 96, 115, 120 as was the Hamler tool???
Jerry
Old 01-10-2009, 08:23 AM
Gold

Jerry: I just looked at mine and yes they are 90, 115 and120. Steve about the flat. I could get the flat and make my 37 and 15 heel for bright cutting, right. All you do is change the adjust tube. Jack
Old 01-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Steel

while we're on this subject, what is the angle of the universal point?
Old 01-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Copper

Hi Steve
could you make a flat template with a subtle rounded heel for bright cutting?
Old 01-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Platinum

Steve

I assume these are all the 'normal' height? Need to make another roll case so I need to know if these are about the height of most of the templates or tall like the original 70 degree bulino or Roland's inlay template.

This time I'll draw up a pattern (terribly complex, being a rectangle with some smaller ones added on) and send you a copy for later use.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 01-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlseymour View Post
Steve, was the first 3 templates 96, 115, 120 as was the Hamler tool???
Jerry
Hi Jerry, Paul's templates labled Detailing, Universal and Calligraphy are the same angles as my templates labled with the same names. Both sets angles (without rounding off the numbers) are:
Detailing 96.30, Universal 116.68, Calligraphy 123.22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Jerry: I just looked at mine and yes they are 90, 115 and120. Steve about the flat. I could get the flat and make my 37 and 15 heel for bright cutting, right. All you do is change the adjust tube. Jack
Hi Jack, I wonder if Paul made some custom templates for you. If they are labeled with those angles written right on them, then they must be custom templates because the angles on the Detailing, Universal and Calligraphy templates didn't have the angles written on them. I know Paul made special templates on request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomentalgiant View Post
while we're on this subject, what is the angle of the universal point?
Hi James, It is 116.68

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalartz View Post
Hi Steve
could you make a flat template with a subtle rounded heel for bright cutting?
Do you mean by rounding.. ie.. raising and lowering the heel angle while placing the heel on to round it? If so, that would be tough to build into a template but you could roll your stone slightly toward you and away while placing the heel on using the flat/knife combo template.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD View Post
Steve

I assume these are all the 'normal' height? Need to make another roll case so I need to know if these are about the height of most of the templates or tall like the original 70 degree bulino or Roland's inlay template.

This time I'll draw up a pattern (terribly complex, being a rectangle with some smaller ones added on) and send you a copy for later use.
Hi SVD, Yes, these are "normal height". Okay, great if you can send a case pattern. Thank you!

Steve
EngravingArtist.com
Old 01-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Platinum

Steve!!! Wheres my new HERMAN Bulino point template??
Old 01-11-2009, 01:58 AM
Platinum

Steve,

I think a rounded heel can be produced with your sharpener by placing it, not on a glass plate, but on, say, a half inch thick base that has one edge rounded over. Use the template only on the flat plateau for normal heel, but by allowing the template to run off the plateau and sightly down the rounded edge, this gradually changes the heel angle and results in a rounded heel?

Rod
Old 01-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Gold

Steve: Yes, Paul made a custom template for me that measures in 1 degree sizes in both the heel and face angle. He said he only made 2 of these because of the trouble to make. Jack
Old 01-12-2009, 06:19 AM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Can someone help me with how to use the template for sharpening flats. Typical flats are much wider than the square gravers shown in the sharpening tutorial. (by the way the template and system works like a charm on a 1/8 square graver blank!) How do you use the tube? Do you have to reshape the tang of the flat graver to make the tube and template work?
Thanks,
Bill
Old 01-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Platinum

Bill

With Steve's templates you make flats out of regular 'square' gravers, thining them down from the sides until you reach the width you want. One I did for inlay I used my wire size guage to get to the right width.

It's definitely a bit tedious, but nicely flexible. I'd recommend making your first flat pretty wide, BTW, just to get a feel for doing it. If you later decide you don't need one that wide you can always make it thinner later.

And as I said, the wide end of the small template goes up, just in case I'm not the only one who makes that mistake the first time. :doh:

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 01-13-2009, 05:02 AM
Steel

Last edited by gringo bill; 01-13-2009 at 05:07 AM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 01-13-2009, 05:05 AM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD View Post
Bill

With Steve's templates you make flats out of regular 'square' gravers, thining them down from the sides until you reach the width you want. One I did for inlay I used my wire size guage to get to the right width.

It's definitely a bit tedious, but nicely flexible. I'd recommend making your first flat pretty wide, BTW, just to get a feel for doing it. If you later decide you don't need one that wide you can always make it thinner later.

And as I said, the wide end of the small template goes up, just in case I'm not the only one who makes that mistake the first time. :doh:
Steve, thanks for the reply!!! You confirmed what I suspected about making flats out of square gravers. So I will order some blanks and that should do the trick. No problem starting out with wider gravers and then thinning the face down if necessary.
Sorry for the duplicate post, I didn't see your response.
Thanks again,
Bill