Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 04-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Copper

Default Hi from Plymouth MA

I'm new to engraving but have been working with metal and drawing most of my life. I'm a professional artist in a couple of mediums, one of them being metal and want to start engraving. This forum looks like the right place to get going - I'm saving up for an Airgraver but am looking for something to sink my teeth into for starters - any recommendations for literature on tools, sharpening, graver sizes etc?

I'm really looking forward to being part of this community and learning from you all...

check out my website for some of my work:

http://www.earthheavy.com

thanks!

-jase
Old 04-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Hi from Plymouth MA

Welcome to the forum!

Nice looking work on your site!

Steve recently added a Starter's kit to the 'Engraving tools' link at the top of the page. You get a hand-push handle, a pre-sharpened graver, a diamond hone and the template for re-sharpening that graver. It's enough to give you a feel for the art without spending too much money. If you find it doesn't suit you you're not out a whole lot and if you do like it you haven't really wasted any money because you'll continue to use everything in that starter's kit. Well, you'll probably wind up with the full sharpener set which means you'll have an extra stone but it's not like that's a real problem.

The standard books that you'll want to get are James Meek's The Art of Engraving and Ron Smith's pair of books on Scroll Design. While Mr. Meeks is no longer with us, Ron is a member of this very forum so if you have questions you can ask the man himself.

Number one resource for you to check are these forums. As others have said "Back up to the start of the forum and read your way to the front."

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 04-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Copper

Thanks much SVD - I just bought Meek's book but can only find one of Ron Smith's books, is there a resource that has both?

Contenti has a couple of others that I was looking at...I'll have to grab them...

thanks again!

-jase
Old 04-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Platinum

Hi Jase,

Good to have you here ... since Steve has pretty much covered all the bases, I'll reminisce a bit.

I grew up in Boston. Lived in Brockton for a few years or as they say - "did time in Brockton" . Just ain't many places a single guy can afford to buy a house. Used to ride to Handelbar Harry's almost every weekend back in the last century. Lots o' fun!

Nice website. "Wicked pissah kid" - now that's something I haven't heard in awhile!!!

Sure do miss the food too.

Chris (just a "damn Yankee" hidin' out in West Virginia )
Old 04-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Copper

Oh god, Brockton - Man, I have a few clients from there - not much has changed - I used to go see shows at the club 390 in the late 80's early 90's- always a wicked pissah time dude guy!!

Thanks for the reply...good to know ya...

-jase
Old 04-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Platinum

Those tattoo guns would look great with some engraves scrollwork!