Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > AirGraver Networking - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 10-20-2019, 03:53 PM
Steel

Default Help!!!

After many prac plates and classes I have decided to engrave the bolster of one of my Mtech knives and keep breaking the tool tip OR the tool just skates across the surface. I have a artisan handpiece set up and using a 105 deg tool. where to go from here. Im figurig the knife bolster is harder than the steel prac plates I have from Lindsey.

thanks in advance!
Old 10-21-2019, 04:31 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Help!!!

Dubbing the point of the graver can help. It consists of either holding the graver almost vertical on a fine stone and very lightly flattening the point, or swiping the heel very lightly across a stone while rotating left and right to slightly round the sharp bottom of the heel...or doing both for really hard metal.

Also make sure the bolster (knife) is solidly mounted so there is no vibration which will destroy points rapidly.

Guns, guitars and old cars
Old 11-11-2019, 02:13 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Help!!!

Sounds like stainless of some type. If you are using HSS it may not work easily or at all. Try Carbide or another type of harder graver. The advice given is good to heed Sam knows many tricks, but with a standard graver it may not be enough.
Some Stainless is near impossible to cut but a fair amount used in knives will. Check the stainless with a magnet, if it is magnetic the chance of it being engravable are pretty good. If not you have a big job ahead.
Use the same process as Sam outlined as stated try a greater attack angle.
Remember the brand of knife it could save grief later.