Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > AirGraver Networking - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 06-05-2021, 08:54 AM
Steel

Default Compressor Noise Levels

My current air compressor is a Dewalt nail gun NL type compressor. I just measured the dB level with a phone app and it runs at 74 dB on the cement floor of my shop. It is fairly large. I am thinking of buying a smaller model 1P 1060s or P from California Air that claims 56 dB. Will this be a real improvement? I can't tell as I am deaf, but others I live with hope it will be. Thanks...Rob
Old 06-05-2021, 10:44 AM
Gold

Default Re: Compressor Noise Levels

Here's a review I posted on Amazon back in 2018. I think the 1060S will be an improvement over what you have now. Although I was disappointed with the noise level, it has a "dull" sound which makes it less offensive. If it wasn't described as ultra-quiet, I may have been more accepting of its noise level.

"I purchased the California Air Tools 2010A to replace a SilentAire SuperSilent 20A compressor. The 20A is a very nice, quiet compressor, but I was concerned about introducing oil into the air hose even though it has a couple of in-line filters. The noise level of the 2010A surprised me, i.e., it is much louder than I expected. Aside from the noise level, I'm satisfied with it. Anyway, I subsequently purchased a California Air Tools 1P1060S to see if it met my noise level expectations. Although, it is quieter than the 2010A, I still consider it too noisy.
I took some measurements using a sound meter app on my cell phone. Measurements were taken with the phone three feet away from the compressor. I think California Air Tools takes measurements at a greater distance, but I don't know what distance they use.
- 20A spec is 30 dB. I measured 33 dB
- 1P1060S spec is 56 dB. I measured 61 dB
- 2010A spec is 60 dB. I measured 70 dB
- Sears Craftsman 1.5 hp measured 71 dB"

Last edited by bildio; 06-06-2021 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:30 AM
Steel

Sounds like we live with it nd ise the money to order some additional templates from Steve. Thanks...Rob
Old 06-05-2021, 11:45 AM
Steel

I use a SilAir 50/24 and that compressor is around 40db. Compared to other compressors it is very quiet. If it runs it is possible to talk to each other without much effort. Persons in a room next to you should not be bothered by the sound it makes. My airgraver is louder than the running compressor, thats for sure.

In my homeoffice workshop i have a SilAir 20A and that compressor is just a silent swirling sound as long as it runs. Not much more than the noise a running fridge does. And it delivers enough preassure to work with the airgraver.
Old 06-06-2021, 03:25 AM
Platinum

I run a jun air and a panther (they are the same guy). More or less the sound of a fridge
Old 06-08-2021, 02:05 PM
Gold

I bought one of the Two gallon Fortress brand compressors from Harbor Freight, Yeah, I know...
Anyway it is pretty damn quiet. Very comfortable noise level.
Even in a small upstairs room it isn't audible downstairs.

On sale it was $139 I believe. Hopefully it will last for a while. They supposedly have a good reputation.

While it isn't big enough to run a rotary tool, for a Classic it works great.

Last edited by MoldyJim; 06-09-2021 at 01:46 PM. Reason: ! gallon should be two gallon.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:15 AM
Steel

Now that I have all the leaks closed, my compressor doesn't come on very often. Still the same noise level, just no as frequently. Down the road I will buy an engraving comressor because I need the one I currently use for other purposes and it is big for the bench that I have built.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:35 AM
Steel

Hulk makes quiet compressors. Their not as expensive as most of the super quiet compressors averaging between 3 and 4 hundred. One of theirs runs at 37db with the average being 40db. I have a small one in my store and it's pretty quiet.