Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 07-28-2011, 03:48 AM
Copper

Default Watch Fix

Looking at the cost involved in watch repair there are times when we wonder: Can I fix my watch ? The obvious answer is yes. If your watch has stopped it can majorly be because of an old battery. Though it may seem to you like a simple task but, often it is not. Replace the battery of the same size without touching anything inside the watch casing. If at any point you feel doubtful it is a wise idea to have your battery changed by a qualified watchmaker.

Cleaning the dirt that will habitually build up in tucked away areas of the watch, i.e. under the lugs, between links of the bracelet etc. can be a tough process and many people choose to take their watch to a jeweler to have it cleaned. If you choose to do it yourself there are a few things to be watchful of. First is to use substances that will not scratch or otherwise damage your watch. Different metals and crystals need different care. Stainless steel is pretty much bullet proof however if it is polished or has matt brushed effects on it etc, you will need to use a gentle cloth or cotton buds to clean scratch able surfaces. For gold and other precious metals it is certainly advisable to have the watch professionally cleaned, however it is possible to buy non abrasive polishes and cloths specifically made for this purpose. For other intricate repair contact a professional watchmaker and do not try to fix the problem yourself.