Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 12-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Copper

Thumbs up Aussies coming out of the woodwork...

G'day all,

I'm a budding knife customiser located in Australia's capital. I've been getting really into knife filework and have had some good reviews, but of course I have developed an interest in engraving in order to compliment my filework.

I was wondering if there are any other Aussies out there who can tell me where I can get a hold of a beginner graver set of some sort. Both the local hobby store and hardware store have failed me, so short of ordering online from overseas I'm not sure where to go next. I'm currently stuck trying to get results with a, dare I say it, dremel engraving tool

Any help would be appreciated
Old 12-31-2009, 07:01 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Aussies coming out of the woodwork...

G'day to you Soulsmith,

You've found the right place to get help with tools from a basic set throught to the most advanced. I'm sure I won't be the only one to advise on Steve Lindsay's tools and their benefits.

It is probably just as well that you have had no luck so far as many of the traditional tools require an ability to sharpen well and consistantly well. If you check out this website you will find a basic set including sharpening templates that will give consistant results. When you decide to move onto Steve's power assisted hand pieces the graver blanks will also fit in these as well. It is a system where all items are complimentary.

We don't have an agent for his tools in Oz so you will have to order direct from him but if you check out "Airgraver Networking" in the main menu of the forum you may even find someone close to your location to try some tools out.

If you do decide to go local and try the older style gravers and handpieces you would have some success at jewellers supply houses in Sydney and Melbourne

Good luck and keep asking questions,
Roger

Last edited by Roger B2; 12-31-2009 at 07:04 AM. Reason: PS