Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 05-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Steel

Default New to the forum

My name is B.Ervin, I live in Missoula Mt. Got Back ground in jewelry repair, Been getting into knives lately. Been familure with this site for sometime. I believe there is alot of good info here. I've had a Lindsay classic for a couple years now. I think it's an awsome tool. The only problem, I've been having is the amount of time I'm able to engrave at any one time. Had a low back injury that I just haven't been able to best. So I haven't been able to build up the gusto and develope experiance as fast as I would like , So I have been a ghost to this site for a couple years. I just gotta tell ya, Had to buy a pantograph (BLASTPHMY! I KNOW) I've found It very useful for the time being To engrave jewelry and rings. So in the meantime I'll Just practice practice practice.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Platinum

Default Re: New to the forum

There's a thread on here about a nifty set up for engraving - basically a highly adjustable work station that's wheelchair (or whatever chair) friendly.

Or, if it's just sitting that's the problem perhaps you could use a stand-up bench?

Then again with most bad back problems it's not sitting or standing - it's holding any position for too long. In that case I'd go with a stand up bench and a high chair - that would let you alternate between sitting and standing as appropriate / needed.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Platinum

Welcome Mr Ervin

Sorry to hear of your back injury. I to have had a bad back for many years, however after two surgery's and lots of time, I can get by. I don't think it ever goes away though. I am a beginner with thirty five years experience. I just ordered a Palm control, can hardly wait. Again glad to see you on the forum.

Kenneth Crutcher
Old 05-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Platinum

Ha!

Found that thread on the stand. click here to get the information on it.

ddushane has been very happy with his - especially after he made a few tweaks to his setup.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Steel

Thanks for the thread and advice. I too find it difficult to hold a position for too long. So for now I'll be as well thought out and prepared as possible to get the most from my session. Just glad to be doing it.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Platinum

I'm lucky in that none of my problem parts are in my back.

Right knee is... well let's just say I'm going to have to get that fixed one of these days but the longer I wait the better job they can do and it still works well enough for now.

Knees and backs both have the wonderful thing about them: once you screw them up, they won't heal right if you don't use them. But if you use them too much or too little then they won't heal right either.

But how much fun would life be without a few challenges, right?

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album