Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > AirGraver Networking - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 01-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Steel

Default Engraving in Honolulu

I am a full time network engineer who happens to engrave using Steve's fantastic Classic AirGraver with foot pedal controller. I have demonstrated the tool many times to friends and clients. Give me a shout here and I would more than happy to get together give a quick lesson and demonstration of hand engraving either by push or air power methods!
wayne
Old 01-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Steel

Default Re: Engraving in Honolulu

Hi Wayne....... I first fell in love with engraving while living in HI. Already making jewelry, when I saw the Hawaiian Heirloom jewelry , I had to learn engraving. I took a six week course over in Kaneohe. The instructor has since moved to Las Vegas. I'm now stuck in South Carolina with hopes of returning to Hawaii . Aloha Doug
Old 01-09-2009, 11:53 PM
Steel

Hi Doug,
I was fortunate to learn from one of the engravers who started out in downtown Honolulu in the early 1930's. He showed me the original form which I only do today. This style which incorporates fine english scroll background and coin edging, takes a lot of time as compared to the course flower work done in today's styles.
Thanks for responding. Please contact me whenever you find yourself in Honolulu.
wayne
Old 01-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Steel

I'm familiar with that style. I often found myself down at ther Royal Hawaiian Shopping center watching the engravers work , hoping to learn something. Phillip Rickard as I recall . I hear he has really been successfull . I'm so gratefull for sites like this one . I've learned so much and seeing the works of art here makes me want to continue learning and practicing. Aloha
Old 01-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Steel

Here is my website which I barely keep up.
http://wayne.carvalho.com
Are you keeping up with what you learned from Mr. Rickard?
wayne
Old 01-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Steel

Here is a typical original style bracelet that families would commission upon the birth of their children. The child's Hawaiian name would be enameled on the bracelet along with any family symbols skirting both ends of the name. Old English lettering is traditional carried over from the English influence. Note that Hawaiian names can be very long, usually consisting of a phrase inspired by events or impressions witnessed at the birth.
enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010030.jpg (11.0 KB, 81 views)
Old 01-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Steel

Aloha!

Just wanted to jump in here - I used to live in Hawaii. I've been meaning to say Aloha to HiloBoy also, since I lived in Hilo for six months. But still haven't.

I so miss the food (plate lunches and the luau's)!!!

I admired the Hawaiian Heirloom jewelry while I was there - it was a Heirloom ring that sparked a conversation with my (now) wife. Who knew I'd be engraving fifteen years latter.

Glad your on the forum Wayne. Post photos of your engravings; I'd love to see some Hawaiian influence. (link to your site ain't working for me?)

And Delder - what'ya mean "stuck" in S.C.? (my wife is from S.C. )
Old 01-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Steel

If I could go back there tomorrow morning , I would be packing right now. SC is nice but No place like Hawaii . Lucky you live Hawaii Wayne. I'm making a few Heirloom pieces here. They don't seem to have the appeal here on the mainland like they do in the Islands.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:56 AM
Steel

Opps my web page URL has one too many dots.

http://waynecarvalho.com
Thanks Daren!

I really should mention that my Classic has allowed me to continue engraving. My carpal tunnel, from pushing too many mice around, started getting in the way of pushing through 14K. Steve's fantastic tool makes my cuts feel l on the like slicing through butter.:whoo:

Digging into 14K to enamel old english lettering tough on the wrist with all to wriggling....

Thanks Delder, It is a great place to call home.:yesnod:
Old 01-18-2009, 07:52 AM
Gold

Great web site. I like the book that opens from page to page. What gage metal do you use on the bracelets? Jack
Old 01-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Steel

Aloha,
Wayne,like your work alot nice to see some other engravers from Hawaii. not to many of us. or maybe they are not on the forums anyway.. Daran, aloha my friend. say i'll have a plate lunch just for you what do you want me to eat..i'll let you know how it was laters.....Hiloboy
Old 01-19-2009, 02:39 AM
Steel

Hi Jack!
Thanks for the web site compliment. I buy my 14K material as flat wire with the cross sectional dimension of 10mm by 1 mm. 10 mm to 8 mm wide has been the normal for these types of bangles. Much thicker than most contemporary Hawaiian bracelets which use half dome wire.

wayne
Old 01-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Steel

Great site Wayne ..... and Your work is beautiful!
Old 01-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Steel

Hi HiloBoy!
Glad to see you are here on this site as well. Do you use a Lindsey tool? And what for? I have an uncle in Hilo..
I've do mostly bracelets on commission. I dabble in engraving lettering on dinnerware, like serving spoons.
Aloha! wayne
Old 01-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I am a full time network engineer who happens to engrave using Steve's fantastic Classic AirGraver with foot pedal controller. I have demonstrated the tool many times to friends and clients. Give me a shout here and I would more than happy to get together give a quick lesson and demonstration of hand engraving either by push or air power methods!
wayne
I'm not an engraver nor have any experience in engraving, but I live in Kaneohe Bay.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Hi HiloBoy!
Glad to see you are here on this site as well. Do you use a Lindsey tool? And what for? I have an uncle in Hilo..
I've do mostly bracelets on commission. I dabble in engraving lettering on dinnerware, like serving spoons.
Aloha! wayne
I use both the Lindsey Classic and chasing tool for most of my work.I do engraving on motorcycle parts, Jewelry and belt buckle work.. lots of work on urns for mortuarys around the islands lots of lettering and family mon type work..i also do scrimshaw type work..about a year ago i added leather carving to go along with my cycle and belt buckle work. its been doing vary will.. laters my friend Curt(hiloboy)
Old 01-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Steel

Hi DangerDan,
I live in Kaimuki. Let me know if I can help you in any way, over looking Diamondhead and Waikiki...:waving:
wayne
Old 03-17-2009, 11:10 PM
Copper

Hello Wayne,
I am a new engraver and I will be in Honolulu the last week of may and early june. I would appreciate it very much if I could get together with you for a quick lesson. Nice work by the way... Aloha

Jeremy
Old 03-21-2009, 04:28 AM
Steel

Hi Jeremy, absolutely, I forward to meeting up.
What kind of engraving are you presently doing? What tools do you use?
wayne
Old 03-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Copper

Presently I am just practicing on a wide variety of metals and focusing on improving my technique before I lay a graver on anything. I am mostly working with hammer and push graver right now and I am about half way done fabricating my engraving vice. I got to play around with a grs engraver once but the airgraver seems much simpler to me so it will be fun to compare the two. I really like the work you're doing with the Hawaiian heirloom jewelry. My wife is from Hawaii and I would like to make her a bracelet some time as we just had a baby girl.

Thank you so much, aloha

Jeremy
Old 03-23-2009, 01:45 AM
Steel

Congratulations, Jeremy!

You can contact me directly through my website email (wc@waynecarvalho.com). I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. I have not fully documented my work on the website, yet, so ask me anything.e

I originally engraved on the bracelets by push. It takes a toll on your wrist and shoulders as well you may be finding out. Now, I use the Airgraver and what a world of a difference it has made. I think you are doing it right by mastering the hand push and hammering methods first.

Work on scrolls. too.
Aloha!
Old 07-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Platinum

oooh, im gonna be in Hawaii in October.
what part of the island are you at?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:19 PM
Steel

Talking Re: Engraving in Honolulu

Hi,
I am in Kaimuki
Old 07-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Platinum

how far is that from Oahu? (Where ill be staying)

do you have a store there?
Old 07-15-2009, 11:02 PM
Steel

If you are on Oahu, you most likely will be staying in Waikiki. I am located a couple miles from Waikiki. You are welcome to keep me posted of your visit. If you are interested in seeing the Lindsey classic, we can meet and talk engraving.
Keep in touch via my direct email. wc@waynecarvalho.com
wayne
Old 07-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Platinum

!! Pmd