Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 10-27-2008, 05:11 AM
Gold

Default Greetings from the Far East

I've been lurking around for a couple of months, so I thought I should finally introduce myself. I'm an American that's been living in Japan off and on for about 25 years. I'm a complete beginner at engraving with no background in Art of anykind. But, I have a great love for anything well made, particularly if it incorporates wood, ivory, or metal.

My only experience that is even remotely related is working as a mechanic and welder in Alaska 30+ years ago before I got into my current field of Engineering / Business Management.

I hand-made my first knife this summer with a little forging instruction from some of the friendly folks in the Japan Knifemakers Guild (JKG). That got me started looking harder at the wonderful knifes on display on the web, which of course led me to all the wonderful engraver's work.

Needless to say, I caught the bug and made myself a promise that I am going to learn engraving. I decided to dive in deep, and after a lot of research I bought a PC AirGraver. I just started to experiment with it last week and haven't done anything I wouldn't die of embarassement to show in public yet :smilie5: , but the quality and ease of use of the PC has already surpassed my expectations. Steve, you make a fine product. Thanks!

I work full-time and fairly long hours, so I typically only get to play a couple hours a week. So, progress will likely be a little slow, but I've finally found an outlet for whatever artistic ability I may (or may not) have and I'm going to stick with it.

Thanks ahead of time to everyone for sharing your knowledge and experience with the rest of us wannabes!

In lieu of my first practice plate which is definitely not ready for prime time, here's my first knife:
Old 01-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer
Default Re: Greetings from the Far East

Hi Ddbltrbl,

Very late, but nice to have you on the forum.
Sorry to have missed the opportunity to have welcomed you when you posted your introduction. Must have been a bit of a cold shower not being noticed after posting this.
Can I ask what D stands for? the rest must be something like double trouble

Greetings,

Daniel
Old 01-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Gold

Hi Ddbltrbl,

Welcome to the Best Forum on the web. I really like your kinfe, very impressive for a first. Keep up the Good Work.

Cheers,
JT
Old 01-19-2009, 03:00 AM
Gold

Thanks Daniel! Everyone has been so helpful and friendly on this forum that I really didn't notice. But, it was nice to hear from you! I've really been impressed with your drive and the scope of your efforts. You jump right in and try new things, and seem just as comfortable with a forge as with setting gems. Expecting to see some great treasures come out of your shop in the future!
The Ddbltrbl handle comes from a nick name a friend gave me in an on-line game years ago that has just stuck with me. I'm a big Stevie Ray Vaughn Fan to begin with (and frustrated guitarist wannabe -- wish I was goin to Reno with Rod), and I always seem to get into more trouble than I can get out of. :innocent:
The double D was just because 8 letters were required and it went along with the name.

JT,
I couldn't agree more about this being the best forum on the web! And, thanks for the kind praise! I was pretty proud of the knife considering I did it all with hand tools. I have 2 more in various stages of completion, but little time to spend on them, and a burning need to practice my drawing and play with my PC.:D