Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Steel

Send a message via Yahoo to dannymac4
Default From Weatherford, Texas

I do basic engraving and silver work for a local bit and spur maker, I use all his handy downs, graver max, silent compressor, all works good. I use a diamond honer to sharpen. I would like to learn more about gun engraving and more intricate work. Bright cut after bright cut and wiggle lines are ok but it gets old and you can only go so far with it.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Platinum

Default Re: From Weatherford, Texas

Welcome to the fourm, I think you will find gun and knife engraving very rewarding, it's a little tough to learn but is always interesting. there is a lot of info. here and if you have any questions just ask.
Carl Bleile
southwest,Ohio
Old 02-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Copper

Dannymac, I haven't been engraving long , I wish I were at the point of being bored with bright cutting, I'm still in the learning stages. Any tips you could share would be appreciated. I am a bit and spur maker and I live in Weatherford too.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Steel

Tool sharpening is pretty important, at first I liked to use gravers that where a little dull untill I got the hang of sharp tools, its like a knife thru butter with the sharp ones, so you have to have better hand control. Learning to turn the vice with the direction your cutting is important also, it makes lines a lot smoother. Spurs i found where a bit harder, since you arent engraving on a flat surface, I had to learn to do some bright cuts backwards because I couldnt get me graver in some tight spots. I would like to see your work.. maybe we could share some critiques. What equipment do you use?
Old 02-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Copper

Around here everything has a tight budget. I use nickle silver, will step up to sterling when the budget allows. I've always admired the work of Kelley and Spiller . My thinking is to use the people at the top of the list and work to them as a goal. I only work on custom orders ,I want to be good now,I don't have 20 years to get good.HA HAThanks for your tips. My bits and spurs business keeps new ideals flowing with every new order. Sometimes a little challenging .
Old 02-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Steel

Kerry kelley is the one that started me out, he gave me some practice plates sat down showed me how he does a bright cut, and then let me go for my own week crash course before he gave me some bits and conchos to do. Luckily I picked it right up. I want to learn how to do shading, background removal, and hammer. I really want to do gun engraving, that will take some time. I hear ya on the cost, this stuff is pricey!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Administrator

For a less expensive setup you may consider the Artisan hand piece with foot control, idle adjust without regulators. It is $774. This is the least expensive AirGraver setup but frankly, comparison-wise it is more versatile in power and speed than my competitor's top-end product. There is a three week trial time on the tools.

You will still need an air compressor, though. However, because the AirGravers do not require very much air volume, the smaller inexpensive compressors work fine. Ace hardware and Wal-Mart used to carry a $59 compressor as well as a $99 one. I'll see if I can find a link to them again.

Below is a chart from the AirGraver.com website. It shows the various impact speeds at different stroke adjustments of the Classic handpiece. The Artisan doesn't have this stroke adjustment but is fixed at the mid stroke length. Follow the "Medium Stroke" speeds on the chart to see the speed ranges for the Artisan. The tungsten piston also works in the Artisan and there is a column for that. Follow the meduim stroke column there too. For both the Artisan and the Classic the psi ranges are adjusted with the foot control or the PalmControl handle.

EngravingArtist.com