Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Platinum

Default Old artist; new hobby!

Hello all! I have been lurking in here for about a month now. INCREDIBLE! The work being done, the open sharing of information, truely a great forum. A little about myself to anyone that cares to read. I have been drawing my entire life (mom still has the evidence somewhere). I have operated an airbrush/tattoo business part-time for over 20 years. I was an electronics engineer for 13 years and just 3 years ago became a field engineer for MAZAK. I am on the road ALOT, and am looking for something to occupy my time in the evenings. A custom knife maker, a good friend's father, suggested engraving. Hmmmm..I say. Where do I start? What do I need? How much is this going COST (my wife speaking there)? I've already have customers, just no direction. The airgravers remind me of the foot controlled tattoo machine I am familiar with. The hand controled ones resemble my airbrushes. But do I need to start with the hand powered gravers? I will keep reading and try and find the answers. Thank you for your time.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Old artist; new hobby!

Welcome dragonsfire, You will fined more answers and options here than you ever dreamed possible.
You will have fun deciding on your approach to this addictive art.
Where are you located in Iowa?
gail
Old 03-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Platinum

Thank you for the warm welcome.I live just across the Missouri River from Nebraska City, NE. Out in the country. Right at this point in time, I am carving/checkering gunstocks for family and friends, but the lure to decorate the metal is becoming overpowering.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Gold

Hi Dragonsfire,
You will find that the only similarity between tattooing and engraving is the foot pedal, but if it was the exact same, then it wouldn't be fun to explore. I think you will find engraving a very interesting pass time. Welcome from another tattooist and former electronics tech.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:23 AM
Platinum

Welcome
Old 03-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Platinum

There is a MAZAK plant near where I live in Kentucky. Do you ever have to travel to that plant? If so I can show you the tools.

CRB
Old 03-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Bleile View Post
There is a MAZAK plant near where I live in Kentucky. Do you ever have to travel to that plant? If so I can show you the tools.

CRB
Our main U.S. plant is in Florence. I attend our training classes there a couple times a year, but the next scheduled classes for me won't be until this fall. I hope to have an airgraver and assorted handtools well before then. I do soooo appreciate your offer though and I will be sure to give you advance notice when I get back down that direction. Now, a couple pictures of your set-up might give me some of the answers I'm looking for.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Platinum

I just need to vent! Ebay is killing me. $200 plus for used, rusty vises!?!?!? Crap. I want to buy a vise so bad. I have a bad right elbow (shattered the radial head; 2 surgeries) and want the vise to eliminate alot of the twisting as I cut. Guess I'll have to figure out how to build the bowling ball vise.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Platinum

dragon fire: the simplest way if you have a machinist friend- get them to mill a flat on the ball that makes it very easy to adapt lots of handy stuff onto the flat area. i used one for a long time. still do, now and then. as shown, the ball rides in a large plastic pipe flange obtained free at a local junkyard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BOWLINGBALL.JPG (54.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg CHEAPO VISE.JPG (54.4 KB, 59 views)
Old 03-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Platinum

DF,

Grizzly sells a self centering vise for $130.00 that is very similar to the vises used by Italian engravers. It can be bench mounted about chin high for H&C or mounted on a bowling ball as shown by Monk. It will keep your work centered better than a drill press vise.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Prec...ing-Vise/H7576

If you go to a power driven graver you will eventually end up getting an engraving block.

As to pictures of my set up, I'm not sure that would help as my tools have been assembled over 33 years and are on the high end of cost. When you get to Florence I'll go over everything with you.

CRB
Old 03-20-2009, 08:36 AM
Platinum

Thank you everyone who read my little rant and posted replys. I have the old bowling ball in my car in readiness if I find someone "willing" to mill me a flat. New developments! 1. My brother in Denver found a 8 inch diamater ball bearing! He works with heavy equipment. He is willing to build me a ball vise! WOOOHOOOO! In exchange for engraving to be done at later date. Might take till the end of the year, oh well. 2. I am going to the trip hammer school to visit some of the knife makers today! My buddy's dad owns Little Giant Trip Hammer and said I could vist. Maybe one of the has tools/vise they might be willing to part with. 3. Big auction tomarrow. Lots of tools, maybe what I need. Wish me luck!!!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Platinum

Dragon
As you travel a lot I would suggest a palmcontrol and CO2,
Old 03-22-2009, 04:18 AM
Platinum

Welcome Dragon, If you have time check out Scott's engrave-in
starting May 31 June 1-2...
You will meet many engravers and see allot new things...
There's a post on the forum...
Jerry
Old 03-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Platinum

Well
More work but a hand saw or better yet a band saw to cut the flat on the bowling ball.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Platinum

How much money you got.

Ill sell you the whole basement full of stuff, and you can start your own business.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Platinum

Hey Dragonsfire, check this out ..... it's out of Black Powder Hobby Gunsmithing by Sam Fadala and Dale Storey. Notice the old tire used to rotate the work. By the looks of those nice'n-new New Balance running shoes, I'd say this was taken in the mid 80's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hammer+chisel1.jpg (41.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 03-27-2009, 12:01 AM
Platinum

Dragonfire hope you found something at the auction if not the bowling vise works that's how I got started.
carl Bleile
southwest, Ohio