Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > AirGraver Networking - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 01-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Copper

Default Need engraver for guitars

My name is Gary Penton and I make custom guitars. I would like to find an engraver to engrave the military aviation creed (text below) on the edges of the top of a guitar. I am open to opinions of metal or wood choices.The text would be engraved along approximately 70" total length (neck and body). The height should be no higher than 1/2".

To describe what I'm talking about, I've attached an annotated photo of a common guitar with white plastic binding around the neck and the top of the body (I don't want to engrave the back of the body as shown).

This would be the text that I want spread out evenly around the full perimeter:

"I am a United States military flyer. My countrymen built the best airplane in the world and entrusted it to me. They trained me to fly it. I will use it to the absolute limit of my power. With my fellow pilots, air crews, and deck crews, my plane and I will do anything necessary to carry out our tremendous responsibilities. I will always remember we are part of an unbeatable combat team - the United States Navy. When the going is fast and rough, I will not falter. I will be uncompromising in every blow I strike. I will be humble in victory. I am a United States Navy flyer. I have dedicated myself to my country, with its many millions of all races, colors, and creeds. They and their way of life are worth of my greatest protective effort. I ask the help of God in making that effort great enough."

I want to choose font size to fit the entire 70” without looking to crunched or too spread out. If any of you can do this, I hope you can recommend the type of metal or wood you would prefer to use and provide a cost estimate. If you cannot do this but know of someone who might, please tell me their contact information or tell them my email address gary@garypenton.com Thank you for your time and consideration.
Gary Penton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engravingexample.jpg (77.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-06-2012, 02:13 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Need engraver for guitars

Hi maybe it's better to post this in the hand engraving part of the forum, more chance on finding someone there.

My page on Facebook
Old 01-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Platinum

Hi Gary. Thought I would take a look at your idea because I like it. Here are a few observations I have. I printed this creed out ( which printed in about a size 8 font ) and cut out the lines, put them end to end and had 45 1/2 inches. if you you do the same at several differnt font sizes i would guess letters of no more than 1/4 inch is more like what you have room for. I think around a 16 or 18 font size. Next what font style are you thinking? a block takes up less space than a script but is harder to do. As far as the engraving its self it will be very hard to do while on the guitar or as a on-broaken piece. Could this strip be applied in say pieces 5 to 10 inches long? If it could a lot of options open up to materials. and ways to do it. For instance, strips of ivory can be had and insted of engraving they would be scrishawed, Even 4 to 5 inch pieces of mother of pearl could be used, Sterling silver, nickel silver, brass. or even thin bars of gold or gold filled material could be used if worked just right. I hope this helps a little in your designing.,,,,,, chickenscratcher
Old 01-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Copper

Hi Chickenscratcher, Thanks for the time you took with a very detailed email. I can do this in strips if it will save a lot of money. I'm limited to $250, so I have to do what I can to keep the price down. It doesn't have to be engraved while 'on the guitar', I can create the contours when I install the binding.

White MOP 'or' even scrimshaw is fine but I think they must be even more expensive. Is that the case?

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it. Best regards, Gary Penton.
BTW: I attached an example of the aircraft inlay that I will install on my original guitar design, versus the Fender neck shown.

You can see all photos at garypenton.com/falcon.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullneck.jpg (21.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Platinum

Hello Gary. I think I have one good reason not to much interest. we need to talk. Instinctively most these guys have just said why to much work, can't be done or will cost the guy to much money. I didn't count every letter but it is close to 600 letters without punchuations. Everyone I know charges by the letter even the machine engravers. Scrimshawers by the hour. You might find a machine engraver with computer based equipment to do something like this for $.50 a letter an old going price 8 to 10 years ago plus layout time. I know WOW. That being said. what are the plane inlays made of. Matching this material for the engraving strip sounds like a ideal look. I think the pieces would have to be cut and prefitted then engraved then do the filial application. Any bending after the application of the engraving is likely to distort the engraved letters ( all bends done before engraveing) AND you will not be able to do sanding or harsh polishing over the lettered areas causing damage here too. Set into the wood at the right depth would allow you to put on your finishes for a level surface. I do a little wood work too, nothing so grand as yours so I have little understanding. chickenscratcher
Old 01-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Copper

I found a guy in Vietnam and his inlay work is outstanding. He will do it in matching mother-of-pearl (that is what the airplanes are made with) for $120 uninstalled so I'll have to be very careful with the MOP. Thanks again for the help - learned a lot about engraving.