Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,739. Welcome to our newest member, KarriG
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Platinum

Default Hello from Dos Palos

My name is Kenneth Crutcher, I am a 72 year old male retired Airline Pilot from Dos Palos, California. I've been reading the posts and watching the video's for several months now. I finely decided to join in. I started Engraving as a hobby with hammer and Die Sinker chisel about 1970 shortly after reading Jame Meek's book. After a while I could satisfy my own self so I purchased a grs system. I could not do anything with that system that I liked. I soon grew disgusted and put down the tools (for approx 35 years). One day I ran onto Steve's Video on YouTube. It has sparked my interest again. I am going to play with the system for a while. But there has been a lot of water under the bridge in 35 years, I have had a slight stroke and lenses transplanted in my eyes. After seeing Steves graver sharpening Instructions I found sharpening had been one of my problems. If I can justify a Palm Control Graver I will have to get one.

The trouble with doing nothing is knowing when you are done.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Hello from Dos Palos

Hello Ken,
Welcome aboard. I had lens implant surgery last year too. I am really pleased with it, My eye Dr. is going to do some tweaking on them in Sept. he says that will eliminate any dependence on glasses. As it is, I only use 1.5 readers for real fine print, so I am not too sure about doing this but I'll think about it. The best part is I will never have to worry about cataracts again.
I do use the #5 optivisor for engraving.
If you don't buy anything else I would highly recommend Steve's sharpening system. With that you can concentrate more on your drawing and engraving and make sharpening a piece of cake. You will not be sorry to get it.
gailm
PS I am not quite your age, but just a few years younger........ oh well, I am 68.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Platinum

Hi Gail

Thanks for the welcome, did you get the flexible lenses ( To be able to see both near and far). When I had my surgery my DR. did not recommend them, so I must carry reading glasses. The DR. said all he could guaranty was my eyes would change. For about 2 years I could read the finest print with no glasses then slowly started to get weaker. First 1.5 now I,m using 2.5 reading glasses. I have great difficulty reading from my computer monitor so if you anything off the wall in one of my posts know Its just what I saw at the time. Heres hoping you have better luck.

Ken

The trouble with doing nothing is knowing when you are done.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Platinum

Hi Ken,
I got ReZoom lenses which are multi focal. Actually my eyesight seems to be getting a bit better, maybe my imagination. The only thing about them that can be uncomfortable at times is driving at night, then the bright lights have small 'halos'. Average driving at night is OK but congested traffic can cause a little PITA. Actually, I find that some physical exercise every day seems to help. Sitting all day is not good for you, at any rate, but sweat is
gailm