Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 01-25-2015, 02:47 PM
Copper

Default Just joined

Nice forum,
I really don't know if I'm going to be doing much engraving, but I wanted to learn more about it.
What I have been doing for a while is cutting coins. I like to find he most intricate coins I can, and then spend hours on end with a jewelers saw, and an 8/0 blade cutting out the most intricate details.
I wouldn't really describe myself as a artist, maybe more of an artisan.
to say that I'm impressed with the work I see in the galeries here would be an understatement.
In my real life I'm a Tool and Die Maker. I build and maintain progressive carbide lamination dies. To give a simple explanation, I would tell you that we turn those big coils of steel you see on semi trailers into the thin pieces of metal that get stacked together to make the rotors and stators of electric motors.
To be honest, it gets a little boring after 10 or 15 years. So you look for interesting hobbies.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:40 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Just joined

Hey Levi,

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you have the skill and tenacity to do well with engraving, artistry is a matter of will, you either will or you won't, it's up to you. I seem to recall that the laminations are made of pure or near pure iron for the magnetic properties, is this true? I've been looking for pure iron to experiment with and I'm told it will ward off witches, you never know when that will come in handy. So, tell me, if it is pure iron have you noticed any witches hanging around? I don't have a witch problem at the moment but I like to be prepared and it's getting harder and harder to find a crowd that is really in the mood to burn women tied to stakes these days, so keeping them at bay (the witches, not the unwilling crowd) seems the best alternative. Oh yea and I'd like to experiment with it.

If you are interested in engraving look into a taking lesson or two, hopefully you saw Steve's post on the thread "Online Books" that should keep you busy for a day or two. There's a great deal to learn just to get started and I think you're the kind of guy that is going to want to get his hands dirty, if your careful you can keep them from getting bloody as gravers slip in the most excellent way when you first start. At any rate don't be shy, jump right in, show your work, ask questions the people here are very helpful. Have fun and good luck.

Bob
Old 01-26-2015, 01:15 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Just joined

Hi,
Welcome To The Engraving Forum Levi.
Engraving on metal is a fine hobby.
SE