Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 12-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Copper

Default Probably bit off more than I can chew.

Hello there I am new to this forum and new to engraving. Unlike most of you who probably have good to great artistic skills I have none. I took two art classes back in high school and failed them miserably. But I'm crazy enough to try metal engraving

My name is Alex, I am 22 and live in Riverside, California. I've been working on Hot Rods since the age of 14 and started welding at age 16 so I'm not that new to metal. For a living I restore car parts, sometimes a customer requires a custom bracket made and I end up with scrap pieces of metal.

I was looking for something to make with the parts and engraving looks like a nice option, I can see myself making 1x1" necklace pendants out of scrap pieces of aluminum/Stainless Steel.

I didn't want to jump in and buy a $350 engraver, so I got these two Chinese ones(electric engraver,rotary tool) for a total of $10 with lifetime guarantee.

I'm not expecting anything spectacular from them. I just didn't want to spend a lot of money on a tool and just have it end up as a paper weight. Now if I end up being decent with it I will purchase the decent tools

I've been doing a lot of reading, I've been on forums for years and years so I know how they work. And I'll definitely use the "search" function before asking any elementary question
Old 12-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Probably bit off more than I can chew.

Most of the guys here will tell you that you are not on the right track with such equipment. BUT there is a difference and I thick that with practice the skill you get using them will enhance the work you do when you really get to real engraving. You don't really need to be an artist (it helpd but ok if not) learn the art of tracing and transfering. I will help if I can. Good luck. chickenscratcher
Old 12-28-2011, 11:34 PM
Platinum

Hi Maverick75,

Welcome to the Engraving Forum.

There is lots to read on engraving and how its done ;

http://www.engravingschool.com/

From the tools in the picture you are probably looking at carving ,sculpting or glass work.

I agree with chickenscratcher you are not on the right path respectfully.But perhaps you would like to elaborate more on the type of engraving you wish do or learn.

SE
Old 12-29-2011, 08:46 AM
Platinum

You could sculpt out something pretty neat with what you have, though I doubt it'll be long before you burn out your motors. You will get a better Finnish tho, if you pick up a chisel
Old 12-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenscratcher View Post
Most of the guys here will tell you that you are not on the right track with such equipment. BUT there is a difference and I thick that with practice the skill you get using them will enhance the work you do when you really get to real engraving. You don't really need to be an artist (it helpd but ok if not) learn the art of tracing and transfering. I will help if I can. Good luck. chickenscratcher
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEngraver View Post

From the tools in the picture you are probably looking at carving ,sculpting or glass work.
haha I realized this already. Noticing the tip on the engraver it doesn't actually engraves. It just etches, oh well it's pretty fun. Here's my first two attempts:

I think I can file down the tip to where it will actually engrave metal.
I saw the guy on American Guns use a tool that looks just like the one I picked up. But I guess it operates differently.

Is there an attachment that you can hook up to a dremel? I have one that I use to port cylinder heads. And I'm never surprised by the amount of attachments they have for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chujybear View Post
You could sculpt out something pretty neat with what you have, though I doubt it'll be long before you burn out your motors. You will get a better Finnish tho, if you pick up a chisel
I have a regular 1.5" chisel to do wood work, but I'm guessing you mean precise chisels to do engraving? I will look into those.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:58 PM
Platinum

Hi Mavrick75,

Awesome ! You have made a start,If you enjoy that field of engraving then go for it.
A mask and vacuum
extraction for the dust is a must .

SE

ps..the dremel has a flexible extension ,it is in this picture but this is a UK site ,its just to show you;

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...d=0CIEBEPMCMAM
Old 12-30-2011, 02:48 AM
Platinum

Little chisel. Less acute angle.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:54 AM
Platinum

Make fr file or planer blade
Old 12-30-2011, 10:59 AM
Platinum

Alex,Your not going to be successful using a rotary tool to engrave,some engravers use rotary for background removel.I only use a rotary tool for polishing and restoration work.You can start with H&C and bruin,keep posted and learn there are many talented engravers where on this forum with good advice. J.J.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Roberts View Post
Alex,Your not going to be successful using a rotary tool to engrave,some engravers use rotary for background removel.I only use a rotary tool for polishing and restoration work.You can start with H&C and bruin,keep posted and learn there are many talented engravers where on this forum with good advice. J.J.

Tho , perhaps not hammer and chisel for mason jars hey? Ha ha