Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 01-31-2008, 09:18 PM
Copper

Default Hello from San Antonio

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and new to engraving. Just wanted to stop in and say hello. I really look forward to chatting with everyone and taking advantage of the wealth of knowledge represented here on the board.

As I mention, I'm new to engraving, just beginning to practice drawing scroll and chiseling some practice plates. I was very fortunate to have moved into my house almost 5 years ago. Shortly thereafter, I discovered that my neighbor was a long time engraver on somewhat of a hiatus. After many months of poking and prodding, I think I have bugged him enough to pick up the tools again, and help me learn a little about the craft. I don't think I could be more fortunate. My neighbor, Eddy Machu, apprenticed and worked (for quite some time) with the great Frank Hendricks, and Weldon's father, Mr. Bill Lister. What better resource/mentor could I have asked for So far I haven't been able to get enough. It sems that almost every spare second I have is consumed with reading about engraving tools, tips, tricks, etc... or doodling around with pencil and paper. There's just so much to learn, I can't get enough. Eddy is a traditional, hammer and graver type of engraver so I only have access to those types of tools but reading about all of the high tech, air powered tools, I would really like to give them a try to see how they feel. Maybe one day I'll be able to check some of them out. But for now, I'll be content with what I have.

Again, I look forward to getting more acquainted with everyone on the board. You all seem like a great bunch of guys and gals.

Cheers,
Jason F
San Antonio, TX.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Hello from San Antonio

:whoo: Lucky, Lucky, guy! You can always buy tools....but Never a mentor such as you have!
gailm
Old 02-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Gold

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the club! You are always welcome to drop in on my shop. I am about 45 minutes west of San Antonio in Bandera County. If you would like to try out a Lindsay PC you can try mine anytime. Just PM me for contact information.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Copper

Hello,
I am hoping to get a Lindsay PC and live in Dallas. Would you mind a visit and do you know of anyone close to Dallas. I am disabled so distance with oxygen is a facture. Thanks
Old 03-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Platinum

Welcome to the group Jason

Ken Crutcher

The problem with doing nothing is knowing when you are done.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Steel

Jason: You are very lucky to find a old time engraver that especial one that worked for frank hendricks. for frank was one of the best. thank your lucky stars. and the hammer and chisler that your using is the best training of all
that will long last best training later on get the air graver, in about a year
and then you will appreciate it so much more. sincerly john88