Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 07-02-2012, 04:49 AM
Copper

Default Seal engraving in the UK

Hi all,
Some 100 years or so ago, I gave myself a day release to attend Sir John Cass university in London where I was taught the black art of hand engraving.
Working in the retail jewellery trade I moved on to cutting deep family crests into mainly signet rings, where a 'pull' i.e. a 3 D wax impression of the crest is produced by pushing the ring into hot wax. The crest has to be engraved in reverse so that the pull is showing the correct way around.
Some 5 years ago I had to stop as I developed cataracts in both eyes & was unable to see clearly to continue.
Following 2 successful cataract operations I am going to resume my seal engraving in August this year, offering a trade service to local retail jewellers and any one else wanting this work doing. At 67 I do not intend to be working full time but following a failure of one of my pension providers to pay the amount they quoted when I took out the pension some 38 years ago I will be looking forward to having a little extra income ! !
when I am back up and running I will let you see some pictures of my work.
I look forward to enjoying this forum,
kind regards,

kind regards,

Jeff Warrington
Old 07-02-2012, 07:42 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Seal engraving in the UK

Welcome Jeff, I look forward to seeing some of your work. Seal engraving is still on my "to learn" list when I get time to practice.

Take care,
Roger
Old 07-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Platinum

Welcome Jeff!
Old 07-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Warrington View Post
Hi all,
Some 100 years or so ago, I gave myself a day release to attend Sir John Cass university in London where I was taught the black art of hand engraving.
Working in the retail jewellery trade I moved on to cutting deep family crests into mainly signet rings, where a 'pull' i.e. a 3 D wax impression of the crest is produced by pushing the ring into hot wax. The crest has to be engraved in reverse so that the pull is showing the correct way around.
Some 5 years ago I had to stop as I developed cataracts in both eyes & was unable to see clearly to continue.
Following 2 successful cataract operations I am going to resume my seal engraving in August this year, offering a trade service to local retail jewellers and any one else wanting this work doing. At 67 I do not intend to be working full time but following a failure of one of my pension providers to pay the amount they quoted when I took out the pension some 38 years ago I will be looking forward to having a little extra income ! !
when I am back up and running I will let you see some pictures of my work.
kind regards,

kind regards,

Jeff Warrington
Hi,

Welcome to The The Engraving Forum Jeff Warrington.

SE