Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 09-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Steel

Default Rookie in Georgia

Hello, I guess it is time I introduce myself; I’m Daren. I’ve been registered on the site for some-time now but am just starting to “get it” (engraving), - I think.

Tim W is just down the road from me and he was nice enough to let me fondle his PC a while back. From that experience I decided to take a class. I won’t tell you from whom, just incase he doesn’t want to claim me as a student. (Wouldn’t want to make him look bad if I’m not up to quality. – Right Mike D?).

I’d like to thank everyone who participates here. All the information (and inspiration) truly keeps a newbie going!

I also thought I should include two of my latest practice plates. The second one I am particularly happy with. It was the first one I’ve done that doesn’t draw blood when I run my finger over it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0003.jpg (65.1 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0003-2.jpg (81.5 KB, 96 views)
Old 09-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Rookie in Georgia

Hi Daren, Good job on the plates. Looks like you are on your way!
If Tim W is right down the road from you be sure not to let him drive your car because he will break it.
EngravingArtist.com
Old 09-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Platinum

Daren,

Don't waste your time on any more practice plates. You are ready to rock and roll. Guns may be too big of a step due to the irregular and hard surfaces but knives, jewelry, and other engraveables are waiting for you.

Good luck,

Roger Bleile
Old 09-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Steel

Steve, I've followed the Vett tread; I'd agree - but he did let me try his PC...

Thanks Roger, I'm trying to work up some guts.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Platinum

Daren,

Go to Dicks Sporting goods and buy a Buck 110 Hunter for 40 bucks. You will get a good quality, made in USA knife with 4 polished bolsters that cut like butter (with a Lindsay Arigraver). That way the nice scrolls your are cutting will be on something of value but you won't have $1,000. sunk in it like a custom knife. It will not win first prize at the BLADE show but you will own something useful that you can use and show around. What is the worst that can happen? If you are completely unsatisfied you can file off the work and start over but from the looks of your practice plates that is not going to happen. Go to it and let us see the results.

Best wishes,

Roger
Old 09-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Platinum

I'll toss in another good 'practice' item.

Cut a strip of copper, nickel silver, or actual silver that's 6" long and 1/2 - 1" wide. When you're done engraving it all you need is to form it and you've got a nice bracelet. Keeps the wife happy and/or makes a nice gift.

Copper and nickel silver are good for practice because they're cheap. Mess up too bad and you just flip it over and use the other side for practice as well.

If you want to make a bracelet specfically for someone I've found that the best size seems to be about 3/4" less then the circumference of their wrist. So for my tiny ever-indulgent wife whose wrist is 5-3/4" in circumference I use a 5" strip. If I want to make one for me it needs to be 7-1/4" long - and at least 1" wide, more like 2". I do actually need to get around to making myself one one of these days, just to have a 'portable display'.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 09-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Steel

One of my first practice projects was a nickle silver belt buckle. I wear it all the time, and take it off to show people when "I am a hand engraver" makes their eyes glaze over. They are generally amazed, and I tell them it is a $1500.00 engraving on a $15.00 buckle.
The plates look great and you need to move on to something to sell.
Will
Old 09-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Steel

Thanks again for y'alls encouragement.

SVD - I'm going to start a bracelet this coming week and will post it for critique.

Roger - thanks for the knife lead. One thing about learning engraving is finding out about what to cut without getting in over your head.

diandwill - Thanks. Yeah, I only tell close friends I'm engraving. That way I get eyes rolling not the glazing! However, having something to show would certainly help.

What y'all are saying, along with some other posts, leads me to a question I've had. But I'll post it in a proper forum.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:24 AM
Platinum

Wecome, if you need any help, just ask.

Once you start showing your work to your friends(engraved Buck knife), they will understand what you are doing and start to enjoy your engraving too. Then they will start to ask if you can engrave stuff for them.

Good Luck,
Tim C