Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Platinum

Default medieval armor

>>>> Here's some metalwork, to make you drool ;-) I remember seeing the armor at the Nelson Gallery in KC when I was a kid, the mounted knight was just inside the main hall at the entrance.
>>>>
>>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/thoog/c...7600297115550/

One can only wonder just how long it took to fabricate just one of these. It was functional as well as beautiful. Enjoy the several offerings!
gailm
Old 05-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Steel

Default Re: medieval armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail
>>>> Here's some metalwork, to make you drool ;-) I remember seeing the armor at the Nelson Gallery in KC when I was a kid, the mounted knight was just inside the main hall at the entrance.
>>>>
>>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/thoog/c...7600297115550/

One can only wonder just how long it took to fabricate just one of these. It was functional as well as beautiful. Enjoy the several offerings!
gailm
I build armor as a hobby. The time required to build one harness of armor is about 100 hours or so depending on a number of factors...
Old 05-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Platinum

I'm assuming that 100 hours is for 'plain' armor. And probably with at least some modern tools used as well.

Add in the time to do any 'decoration' and you get something well worth preserving for the ages.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD
I'm assuming that 100 hours is for 'plain' armor. And probably with at least some modern tools used as well.

Add in the time to do any 'decoration' and you get something well worth preserving for the ages.
Actually, I don't use any "modern" tools. Just hammers, files, an anvil and a big block of wood. Cutting is done with shears. Also a medieval tool.

Modern tools really don't speed up the process all that much with the exception of the use of a power planisher.

I am wanting to learn to engrave so I can start adding the embellishments to my armor.

Cheers,
Old 05-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Platinum

Impressive!

I thought you'd use something powered (or a torch) for the cutting, possibly a power drill for the holes.

Unless you're doing a lot of sets it's probably faster to hammer each part then to do all the prep work to use a press to form them.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Steel

I use a hole punch or a centerpunch depending on what I am doing. Some people use presses and powertools. I want to experience the methods used at the time in addition to making spiffy stuff.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Platinum

Ah! Hole punch probably works better than a drill anyway - less chance of it skidding about.

Besides, doing it the way it used to be done because you want to is a perfectly valid reason.

Once you learn how to engrave with a powered graver you'll probably want to try your hand at older methods. I do a little bit of hand push - mostly just not applying power when it seems appropriate. At some point I intend to learn hammer & chisel, as well as learning how to properly palm push. That way I'll have the techniques available for when they're the best way to do something.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album