Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > AirGraver Networking - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 01-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Platinum

Default Classic with foot control, North end of Kansas City, MO

I've got my Classic with the foot control - and it's set up fully portable with my Box O' Happiness so I can bring it by your place to try. Or if you come by corner of my garage you can see it here.

Edited to add:

Another thread reminded me - I also have Steve's template based sharpening system so you can see how slick that works.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 01-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Gold

Default Re: Classic with foot control, North end of Kansas City, MO

Steve,
How much engraving time do you get out of the 20 oz. bottle of CO2 with your foot controlled Classic? I've been wanting to set up something similar for engraving with my Classic in the house at nights now that the weather is colder. Thanks,
Gene
Old 01-05-2009, 08:43 AM
Platinum

Gene

It varies, partly by what I'm doing (things like stippling where you're running full throttle continuously you go through gas faster). Generally I get the 8 - 10 hours of run time advertised. Occassionaly I get a lot less, usually because I either didn't get things tightened properly or they got bumped in the Box. My 'master' 20lb CO2 tank is about half empty and with the cold in the garage I'm having trouble getting a good fill on the small tanks. Got a couple ideas on how to fix it, just need the time.

For engraving in the house do what I do when I'm playing in a hotel - spread an old towel over the work area first to catch the chips. Makes cleanup a breeze because you just put your gear away, fold/roll up the towel and then take it outside to shake it clear. And yes, I have done some work while in the living room.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 01-06-2009, 12:43 AM
Steel

I'll bet that the old towel idea goes a long way toward keeping the wife happy especially when making metal chips in the living room

My Picture Album
Old 03-30-2009, 12:03 AM
Copper

Hi I'm Shane. I would love to try your engraver. I live in Kearney by the high school. Any tips for a new guy. Tools selections ect.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Copper

Tip. Store your empty Co2 tanks in the freezer. After there good and cold they will fill easy. It's a trick we used at Coca Cola.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Platinum

Thanks for that refill tip - I'll give it a try (just happen to have a freezer not 10 feet away I can use).

Biggest tip I can give a new guy is to take a class. There are a lot of little things that are best taught in person by someone who knows both what they're doing and how to teach.

These being Steve's forums I'll just note that I don't think you can go too wrong with either system but the Lindsay system definitely wins on portability. There are differences and things that each does better but it's sort of a Mac vs PC thing and in the end it comes down to how the tools feel in your hands. I'll PM you about getting a time you can come by and do some fiddling with both systems yourself.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 03-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Copper

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning towards the classic. I was reading a thread last night that I can save some money using one of CO2, Welding, or Paint regulators that I allready have. I had an idea for a power hone. I have an old bleander motor, the glass picture is broke, why not give it a try. I know I can rig up a platform. but is the speed slow enought. It might just get me by for a while. I have a couple of really good Arkansas stones if not. Their's some more tricks for filling CO2 tanks if you have any more filling problems. Thanks again, Shane
Old 02-03-2019, 03:21 PM
Copper

I am interested in the air travel if the offer still stands.