Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > AirGraver Networking - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-14-2019, 07:05 AM
Platinum

Default affinity photo

does anyone use or have experience with affinity photo please? I want to learn to outline only with this program. I use it now for flipping, shading, background treatment, and enhancements. The lack of extensive photo terminology puts me at a considerable disadvantage to use the other options. pap
Old 03-16-2019, 04:01 AM
Platinum

Default Re: affinity photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by papart1 View Post
does anyone use or have experience with affinity photo please? I want to learn to outline only with this program. I use it now for flipping, shading, background treatment, and enhancements. The lack of extensive photo terminology puts me at a considerable disadvantage to use the other options. pap
Hi Parart1
I have two Affinity programs Photo and Designer and use them by trial and error .At my age what else can one do ?
SE
Old 03-16-2019, 08:49 AM
Platinum

Yes I am in the boat......I did find out about the outline option in layers. There is a whole new area to explore for outlining, still doing it. Thanks for the response. paps
Old 03-23-2019, 09:48 AM
Platinum

Hi there, I use Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer on both Mac and iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil..

If I had to choose one, IŽd go for Affinity Designer.. it has both vector, and some pixel.. and for designing outlines and stuff I think its better, but both would work.

If you have the chance to use the iPad with an Apple Pencil, IŽd say it genius for designing scrollwork.. :-)
Old 03-25-2019, 07:14 AM
Platinum

Thanks for the respons's, have no idea what the hell a vector is and thus have more to learn about the affinity program. I'm working at it................or it's working me can't figure out which it is yet. pap
Old 03-25-2019, 04:33 PM
Platinum

I will try to make you a video one day very soon, to show you the difference..

But to try to explain..

If you want to draw in eg Affinity Photo, all your drawings will be raster.. or maybe easier to understand pixels.. drawing in pixels can have a nice look, depending on what you want to draw.

Drawing in vector, is all mathematical.. and it means, if you draw a line or a curve, you can change the size, width, and even the shape of the curve after, make it any size, without changing the quality.. you can "blow it up" a million times, and the line will still look super clear.

The more you open up a pixel drawing, you will see the pixels.. and doesn't look good.

So if you have a drawing and want to import that drawing to Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer and trace outlines for example to transfer to something to engrave, I would say Affinity Designer is a much better option (of course you have to learn a little about vector).

I was making two lines in Affinity Designer in iPad Pro, the one to the left, is raster/pixels and the one to the right is vector.. and you can see the difference.

May I ask exactly what you are going to use your drawings for? :-)

If you are going to draw with the mouse on the computer, I would say vector is a lot easier.. anyway :-)

The vector line I can edit, change and adjust exactly like I want, at any point.. the pixel line, is more or less stuck as it is :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0976.jpg (37.7 KB, 0 views)