Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Copper

Default New Australian based member

Hello to all..

I am a new member here, living in Australia, having moved here just over 2 years ago from Scotland... and have zero experience engraving metal, though I have some a fair bit of work with a Dremmel on stone and wood.

My work lies elsewhere, decorative concrete, though most of my adult life I worked in the music business, so very much a hobby thing for me.

I have my whole life enjoyed doing celtic artwork, mostly paintings and ink drawings, but for my last 18 months in Scotland, I enjoyed carving celtic designs onto stones from my local river, where I fished every day of the season, man I miss my river, so those stones are very dear to me.

I also carved runes on stone and wood.

It would mean a lot to me to put celtic material on metal.

Rodstan via PM has been very kind to offer me some advice on getting myself started , and recommended getting some graver tools, I have looked on E-Bay USA and there is a multitude of different ones on offer... given I can't just get one any time I want I would prefer to get one that has at least a bit of quality to it and won't fall apart after 2 weeks, so would appreciate a recommendation if someone has knowledge of what's on offer.

Some of the handles come in groups of 6, given I will be working celtic design, will I need more than one? also the graver points.. how many and what types? Sharpner? Anything else? LOL

If anyone here does celtic work I would sure love to see it and share.

I attach a pic. of one of my basic knots on stone, one of my most treasured belongings from the Earn river Comrie Scotland.

Thanks in advance for any help
C
p.s. Aye it's a lot hotter here than home coming from -5 to 40+ is severe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Celt1.jpg (50.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 02-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Platinum

Default Re: New Australian based member

Welcome to the forum! :waving:

The one thing you do need is a properly sharpened graver. Steve's template based sharpening system is hands-down the easiest way for a beginner to get that, other than having someone else sharpen for you.

Browse the Tutorials section and you'll find a lot of great info to help you get going!

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 02-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Copper

Hi Steve, thanks for the welcome and advice, your time is really appreciated, as I look around these sites more I can see the wealth of sharing of info, what a great bunch of people. Nice to see other beginners just setting out too, will be good to watch everyone,s progress.
Thanks again
Colin
Old 02-09-2009, 12:25 AM
Platinum

Welcome, take your time and look around there is a huge ammount of information here for the beginner to the adavanced.
Carl Bleile
southwest,Ohio
Old 02-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Copper

Thank you for the welcome Carl, is much appreciated.
I look forward to learning.
Colin