Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Platinum

Default The Last US Veteran of WWI Passes

Frank W. Buckles who joined the US army at the age of 16 and served overseas in WWI passed away today at the age of 110. Mr. Buckles was the last living American veteran to have served in The Great War.

From General of the Armies "Black Jack Pershing to Cpl. Frank Buckles they all have passed into history and have joined their old commrads in the great beyond. I have always had an affinity for WWI veterans as my father (Sgt. Carl A, Bleile 1898-1984) was one of them.

Here is a little tribute to all of our "Doughboys."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbggEGUaE28
Old 03-06-2011, 05:45 AM
Gold

Default Re: The Last US Veteran of WWI Passes

Carl,
Thanks for remembering Mr. Buckles and his service. When you have a family member involved , it brings with it a dimention of interest that is difficult to explain. A few weeks ago , a customer at the jewelry store where I work, left some old jewelry for evaluation . My employer showed me a silver like medalion with a thin leather band. It had an army unit no. and AEF .It was hand engraved with a wiggle boarder oval in shape no bigger than a silver dollar. Apparently it was worn on the wrist, perhaps by some one at home . It also had the soldiers name along with the Army unit. I said it was WW1 American Expeditiary Force. Thanks to your father and the rest for their service. Steve Cook