Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > AirGraver Networking - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 08-27-2019, 03:15 AM
Copper

Default Anyone with Palmcontrol airgraver in Notts/Derby UK?

Hi everyone. I’m new here and looking to buy the palmcontrol airgraver. I’ve not used one before and currently use punches and stamps to add detail onto my sterling silver jewellery, but I’m pretty sure I would be able to improve the level of detail with an airgraver. (It’s been on my wish list a while now!)

I wanted to ask if there’s anyone in the Notts/Derby UK area with a PalmControl I could come and see, and the other question is can you give me any recommendation on what compressor would be best please for indoor/home use. I was looking at the Bambi silent models, but have seen some mixed reviews on them.

Thank you : - )
Annie
Old 08-27-2019, 05:39 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Anyone with Palmcontrol airgraver in Notts/Derby UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie A View Post
Hi everyone. I’m new here and looking to buy the palmcontrol airgraver. I’ve not used one before and currently use punches and stamps to add detail onto my sterling silver jewellery, but I’m pretty sure I would be able to improve the level of detail with an airgraver. (It’s been on my wish list a while now!)

I wanted to ask if there’s anyone in the Notts/Derby UK area with a PalmControl I could come and see, and the other question is can you give me any recommendation on what compressor would be best please for indoor/home use. I was looking at the Bambi silent models, but have seen some mixed reviews on them.

Thank you : - )
Annie
Good Afternoon Annie,
I have been using a double piston air brush compressor so far it has worked well with a classic airgraver.Bambi looks better but I cant say ?
A Palm control is a very good air graver no doubt for work on s / silver.I have used a classic on precious,semi precious metals and even on brass steel and stainless steel too no problems.

But tell us more about your type of work which you wish to use the palm control for ?

Air graver cutting : https://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=2904

SE

Old 08-27-2019, 07:17 AM
Copper

Hi SE,

Thanks for replying : - ) I'll have a look at that compressor - thanks.

I've attached a couple of pictures of my work. I hope they show up okay.

I make enchanting scenes and use a small screwdriver as a punch for the line work and various punches for the other textures. I basically want to add more and better detail.

I've watched a load of youtube videos and I'm pretty sure with some practise, the palm control would be perfect. Love any opinions too : - )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jewellery_furkeeps_173.jpg (77.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 128.jpg (65.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-31-2019, 05:20 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie A View Post
Hi SE,

Thanks for replying : - ) I'll have a look at that compressor - thanks.

I've attached a couple of pictures of my work. I hope they show up okay.

I make enchanting scenes and use a small screwdriver as a punch for the line work and various punches for the other textures. I basically want to add more and better detail.

I've watched a load of youtube videos and I'm pretty sure with some practise, the palm control would be perfect. Love any opinions too : - )
Good Afternoon Annie,
Very nice.Thats good creative work there everyone is different in the type of work they do.Thank you for the photographs .I can see your work can benefit with the p / c airgraver as you can cut more detail and fine designs on your work.
Keep us posted.
SE
Old 08-31-2019, 07:50 AM
Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEngraver View Post
Good Afternoon Annie,
Very nice.Thats good creative work there everyone is different in the type of work they do.Thank you for the photographs .I can see your work can benefit with the p / c airgraver as you can cut more detail and fine designs on your work.
Keep us posted.
SE
Hi SE,

I've been particularly looking at coin carving and I'm super impressed with some pin head carving I've seen too. I'd love to achieve this level of detail, but in my own style on my jewellery pieces .. (with a lot of practise and I wouldn't mind a fancy microscope too! )

I'm going to start with some real simple designs first and pretty sure I can achieve the results I'm looking for ... well I really hope so now my orders in : - ) hehe

I'll definitely post updates how I get on too : - )
Have a lovely day
Annie
Old 09-07-2019, 04:31 PM
Platinum

Annie
If noise is a issue the silent air ,Bambi style is nice. No noise just a switch of noise when starting up. And the Palm Control air graver will serve for a life time and more. Just make sure to have CLEAN, DRY air.
Also I like your creative ideas Dave
Old 09-08-2019, 04:01 AM
Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave London View Post
Annie
If noise is a issue the silent air ,Bambi style is nice. No noise just a switch of noise when starting up. And the Palm Control air graver will serve for a life time and more. Just make sure to have CLEAN, DRY air.
Also I like your creative ideas Dave
Hi Dave,

Thank you : - ) and thank you for your reply and also mentioning the clean dry air. Sounds obvious now you've said it, but knowing me, I would probably sit it beside my dusty polishing machine! (Just kidding .. I defo won't do that! ) But certainly need to think about where to put it.

I think I'll start looking at some sort of work hold vice next .. and perhaps one of those nice microscopes too : - ) hehe

cheers, Annie
Old 09-09-2019, 02:32 PM
Platinum

I might add if I may, be safe and add a desiccant filter from Harbor Freight for a couple bucks at the end of the hose before you hook up your PC. I always put my tools on quick connect couplings for that reason. Dry air.

roger from "OZ"
Old 09-10-2019, 01:12 AM
Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
I might add if I may, be safe and add a desiccant filter from Harbor Freight for a couple bucks at the end of the hose before you hook up your PC. I always put my tools on quick connect couplings for that reason. Dry air.

roger from "OZ"
Hi Roger,

Thank you for this. I honestly appreciate all the help and information I can get : - ) I'm going to check out the desiccant filter and still deciding which compressor to go with too. (Still got a bit of time to research before my pc arrives! hehe)

Thanks again : - )
Annie
Old 09-10-2019, 02:37 PM
Platinum

Remember that if you don't want it to cycle on all the time, the bigger the storage tank the better. You can even add a secondary tank to any compressor. Compressors with no storage tanks are little more than huge fish aquarium pumps. Pulsation at low pressure can be a problem.

roger from "OZ"
Old 09-13-2019, 12:27 PM
Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
Remember that if you don't want it to cycle on all the time, the bigger the storage tank the better. You can even add a secondary tank to any compressor. Compressors with no storage tanks are little more than huge fish aquarium pumps. Pulsation at low pressure can be a problem.

roger from "OZ"
Hi Roger,

Thanks for the info. I'm still looking at compressors and actually started looking at the smaller ones, so maybe next size up would be better? I'll have a look .. thanks again for the info : - )

Annie
Old 09-13-2019, 05:40 PM
Platinum

Nowadays most any compressor 1/2 hp and up will work. It only takes .5 cfm. to run approx. 30psi. That is about a 1/12 hp. Storage tank size is key. I know friends that have made theirs out of everything from Chrysler car AC compressors to refrigerator compressors. Again the key is the storage tank. They just plumbed it to a large tank. A portable air tank you fill up to carry air in works super for a tank or extra tank. Most economical compressors use a diaphragm instead of a piston system to pump the air. Quieter but I do not believe as efficient. I have everything from silent, CO2, to 7 1/2 hp 80 gal industrial compressors and each one has it's advantages for different circumstances. Get a smaller one, add an extra storage tank, run 20 ft hose (to cool down the compressed air so you can collect the moisture), put regulator and throw away desiccant filter on the end and hook up your tools.
I always use quick connects on everything, even a ball valve to send air to different tools. my two cents

roger from "OZ"
Old 09-14-2019, 03:17 PM
Steel

Annie, I don't know if they are available in the UK but I use a California compressor 1 gal unit for my classic airgraver it runs just fine and is quiet. I can engrave about 20 minutes between run cycles then it runs less than 2 minutes to refill. The main point is it was cheap 90.00 it has lasted 2 years so far we will see how long it lives I'll just buy another one.
Good luck,Leland
Old 09-16-2019, 11:02 PM
Platinum

As one example, https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/quiet-run-compressor-2/ - I've run one of the larger ones of theirs for years.

If you're not already aware, Machine Mart so periodic "VAT Free days" if you're on their mailing list (with a corresponding discount if you're VAT rated).

MM isn't perfect, but it's the closest thing we have to HF.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:06 AM
Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintdoubles View Post
Annie, I don't know if they are available in the UK but I use a California compressor 1 gal unit for my classic airgraver it runs just fine and is quiet. I can engrave about 20 minutes between run cycles then it runs less than 2 minutes to refill. The main point is it was cheap 90.00 it has lasted 2 years so far we will see how long it lives I'll just buy another one.
Good luck,Leland
Hiya Leland, Thanks you much for that! I've got a few other things I need to get, so something on the cheaper side would be cool. I'll go and have a look at this on.

Cheers, Annie
Old 09-17-2019, 10:10 AM
Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS_Bond View Post
As one example, https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/quiet-run-compressor-2/ - I've run one of the larger ones of theirs for years.

If you're not already aware, Machine Mart so periodic "VAT Free days" if you're on their mailing list (with a corresponding discount if you're VAT rated).

MM isn't perfect, but it's the closest thing we have to HF.
Hiya,

That's awesome ... thanks for the vat tip too! Definitely up for saving some pennies to go towards a vice and scope : - ) hehe.

cheers, Annie