Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 08-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Gold

Exclamation Greetings to all

My name is Steve , I bet you can guess my last name.
I have been working as a jeweler for 4yrs. Previous occupation, tool & die maker. Had an opportunity to change when a freind needed to train some one for an opening at his small shop. My last years at the die shop were up and down due to the econ. ect..
I desire more exposure to the jewelry field . When I came accross engraving it facinated me . I eventual spent a day with Mike Dubber to see if I had any potential. Mike says he loves to engrave as much as he did over 40 yr. ago when he first started.
I have a studio at home with new and used jewelry and engraving equipment. Mike said I needed to get some practice in, and learn all the bad habits and then come back so he can straiten me out!
I want to thank Steve and every one this site for sharing thier knowlege and work. Starting over at 58 is not easy but with help like this , it really makes a difference !
Old 08-07-2010, 03:59 AM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer
Default Re: Greetings to all

Hi Steve.
Good to have you on board.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:24 AM
Gold

Send a message via Skype™ to Haraga

Tell us about the dies you made.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Platinum

Hello Cookie. Greetings. I too live in Indiana, up by Fort Wayne. Over 40 years as a jeweler, and got back into engraving after closing store. If you are not far away would be happy to be helpful if I can. chickenscratcher
Old 08-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Gold

I worked in several shops making die details. These are replacement parts per print. The last shop was a design and build die shop were we designed the die in house to produce parts per supplied part prints. Most of the dies were for automotive or appliance parts. Material thickness was from around .010 in. to .375 in. We made single station blank, pierce, form, and draw dies. We also made progressive dies from a foot long to over 90 in. Generally the operations would include pierce, pilot, profile ,blank,extrude,draw, form, part , cut-off, and occationally a tapping station.We didnot do any embossing as you would find in a coin die.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Gold

I live in Elwood about 1.5 hr. from Ft. Wayne. I would like to get together some time and jaw about your experiences with jewelry and engraving.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Gold

Daniel ,
Thank-you for the welcome message. I have looked at your work and like it very much .
You have a very broad range of intrests and it really comes forth thru your creativity.
I seem to have similar motivations to focus upon. Have a good day! Steve