Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 08-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Copper

Default wannabe

Hi all. Records show that I have not posted on this forum yet, so here goes.
I have crappy handwriting. How much will this hinder my attempts to engrave?
Does anyone engrave by hand anymore? (no air)
Old 08-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer
Default Re: wannabe

Hi Gold wolf,

There are stil a lot of push gravers around but maybe not so much on this forum
Even with crappy handwriting you should be able to transfer your prints right.
That way you could use some crappy engraving on some very good transfers and you would be just about right

Welcome to the forum.

Daniel
Old 08-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Gold

Arumlupus, In regard to your questions, It is a big help to have good handwriting, but I believe you can get good at letter engraving without it. You can use transfers, but that limits you. What you do need to do is draw letters properly, which is different than having good handwriting. I am left handed and for over 50 years have written and drawn only left handed. I have always tried to improve my handwriting and have had some success but still was not satisfied. Finally about 18 months ago I decided I really can't get much better unless I convert to right handed, after studying books about improving handwriiting , including for left handers. My right handed script is now much better than left handed but I am still slower right handed. I wish the nuns at school where more insistant on me writing right handed but I was too stubborn for them. Drawing skills can be learned, but takes more time and work to learn then for an artistic person, which I am not. On your second question, I only do push manual engraving. Never tried air, and probably won't ever, even though I do believe it greatly increases your learning curve, lessens your fustration level, and makes possible to do things that you really can't do by push engraving. I have alot of thought out reasons for not going the air route but having absolutely nothing against it or the people who use it. The bottom line I guess is I get alot of enjoyment from push engraving even though my work is limited and the best of it is low novice quality. I enjoy trying to get better at it. So don't let poor handwriting or a limited budget stop you from from taking up engraving. Maybe the most important things needed for this is a love for engraving, stubborness, a willingness to learn, and good learning skills. This forum can help tremenously. Kevin Scott

Last edited by Kevin; 08-21-2009 at 05:28 PM. Reason: a misspelled word, but probably not the only one.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Platinum

Aurumlupus,

Neat and legible hand writing IS important - but only if you write your invoices by hand.

I knew an old time push engraver - couldn't read what he wrote - very shaky - but his engraving was "as straight as a die"

Good to hear from you and good luck,

Roger
Old 08-22-2009, 07:42 AM
Copper

To Daniel Houwer and Roger B., thanks for the info and encouragement.
Kevin, I'd give my left hand to be ambidextrous. (sorry. I had to do it )
Old 08-22-2009, 07:50 AM
Platinum

Just as a quick demonstration to yourself, write out the word "Hello" and then try to draw a nicely lettered version. I'll bet you'll see you can draw nicer letters than you write.

Certain things about engraving them makes it even easier to get good looking letters.

Of course, those same things let you make them wrong in ways that you really can't do with a pen or pencil so it's a trade off.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 08-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Gold

Aurumlupus, Liked your joke, but sorry to give you the impression that I am ambidextrous. I am a true left hander, and also left eyed and left footed. But it is a right handed world so like most lefties in some things I have adapted to the right handed world even though at first it is really a struggle and increases the time learning curve, but later pays off since your skill level is not limited by trying to do things "backwards". The point I was trying to make is with study, practice and effort you can improve your weaknesses and do things that are not within your born range of talent. I will never be as good as a talented artist but with work, study etc I hope to be at least "passable" in what I set out to do even though I don't have a "born" talent for it. Good luck, Kevin Scott