Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 10-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Copper

Default What a site!!!

Have been looking around the site for a while now and figured I should get a membership and get participating.

A little about me - Western Canadian university student with experience in blacksmithing and some limited gunsmithing.

I got the idea of engraving after being given a beautiful german drilling (three barreled rifle/shotgun) and became aware of how much engraving adds to the beauty of metal work.

Eventually I'd love to be good enough to engrave my own work, or even a blackpowder revolver as a gift. Need to do some work before that though..... have to find the tools first!!!

As for my work, well, I made these two recently, they're about the most complicated work I can do while away from tools and at university:

Old 10-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to leroytwohawks
Default Re: What a site!!!

I like the twist pattern in the top piece of your work. And your in the right place to learn about engraving.

Kevin
Old 10-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer

Hi H.Wally,
Welcome to this forum.
My advise would be to get a piggy bank, start filling it with as much $ as you can and try to find an engraver working with Steve's tools in your vicinity (is that spelled right?).
Once you have tried a Lindsay airgraver you will feel the potential
Once you get one, the only thing you will want to do is engrave
So start the piggybank youll never regret it
Old 10-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Copper

Haha - I am fearful of trying an air graver.... I can't afford to spend that kind of money!

What kind of price range would you say starting out with hand gravers be?

I've got wet stones and use of a grinder from wood working and chisel maintenance, but the basic outlay on specific engraving tools? (I don't think I'll be buying a vice right off the bat)

Heck, there are a bunch of threads that suggest good starting tools, but what're your preferences? Why?
Old 10-26-2009, 11:45 PM
Platinum

Hi H Wally,

Steve makes a Airgraver Artisan that is one of the best starting engraving tool tools made at a very reasonable price and will outperform any of the other engraving tools being sold.

It not only outperforms the other tools entry level machines in price and performance but it also outperforms others high end machines.

It is by far the best buy of any of the engraving tools and you most likely will never sell it even if you upgrade to a classic later on...

Steve tools are second to none.

Save up thoes fun tickets and get one you will be very glad you did.

AirAmp
Old 10-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Gold

You could start cheaply with push graving and with hammer and chisel, but do spend some money on a proper sharpening system. The facets that form the tip of the graver must be perfect or you will be as frustrated as I was when I first tried to teach myself.

All the information you need is contained in past posts on the forum.

Mike Fennell
Old 10-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
You could start cheaply with push graving and with hammer and chisel, but do spend some money on a proper sharpening system. The facets that form the tip of the graver must be perfect or you will be as frustrated as I was when I first tried to teach myself.

All the information you need is contained in past posts on the forum.

Mike Fennell
I think that's probably where I'm going to start to be honest. I don't have any experience with engraving and have a multitude of hobbies, so I'd hate to drop a bunch of money on something I'm not sure I can do. I figure once I've got a little experience, if I know I can take it places I'll invest in a more complete setup. I am at university after all, and am hauling a small bag of blacksmithing and gunsmithing tools with me everywhere I move already