Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Tutorials and Contests - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 01-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Gold

Default New contest - borders

I am always on the lookout for different border styles to apply to the inherently narrow shapes of the horseshoes I engrave. So I asked Steve if he would put together a contest to encourage people to invent some new borders. He is apparently covered up so he turned the tables and asked me to get the ball rolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandvik
Hi Steve,

I feel like my vocabulary of borders is pretty limited. I was trying to come up with something different to start using so I did some searching on borders on both forums and quickly realized that there are darned few nice borders which are clean and repeatable.

How about a contest for best original border idea?

I dont have anything to enter but I would enjoy seeing the results of some creative effort directed toward borders.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lindsay
Hi Jim, Sounds like a great idea to me. I'm buried right now keeping up in the shop though. Would you have time to make the contest happen? I will give a 5 pack of M42 gravers for the prize. Please feel free to do the contest. I really would like it if you or other members would want to start and run contests.
Steve
So I guess the moral of the story is to be careful what you wish for...

Steve is offering the M42 graver blanks ($50 worth) and I will sweeten the pot by throwing in an engraved horseshoe for good luck to winner. I will ask Steve do the judging since he has an indisputable eye for design.

As I mentioned in my note to Steve, I think entries should be designs which are nice repeating patterns and are original. So I suggest that these be the two criteria for judging.
  1. Repeatability
  2. Originality
Let's let this contest run from now through the month of February. Please post your entries here on this thread.

Good Luck!
Old 02-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Copper

Default Re: New contest - borders

A great place to look for neat borders is in a leathercrafting book. I've been doing
more custom leather projects with the big rodeo coming up in Houston, and am
always amazed how the two skills go hand in hand... I'm sure my leather carving
and sculpting is going to really help when I try out Steve's new templates with
Carl's new tip....

Anyway, not to hijack the thread... look online, or at your local Tandy Leather store,
I think you'll find some neat borders, flowers, and unique designs to incorporate in you
engraving...
Old 02-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Platinum

I figure I better get my entry in early, while the bar is still nice and low.

This border is a nice little bit of sparkle.

I may have to redo this examplar - I was in a bit of a hurry once I finally got a little bench time. Darn 'real life' keeps intruding (but since it pays for my tools...)

Basically it's just a series of the little flowers I figured out you could make from a set of oversized bulino cuts.

I used a thin flat to cut the border lines but I think it would look better if I'd used a V.

Ok, on to how it's done so you can do it and see how it looks done right!

Step 1 - scribe your lines. After you find your center distance and scribe the center line use the dividers to mark the center line in 1/2 total border width increments.

Step 2 - Starting with the first mark out from one edge bead punch every other mark. If you happen to have another small punch that you think would look good as a flower center you could use that. I have some bead punches.

Step 3 - Start cutting the 'petals'. For each petal cut just take a wide graver, start right outside your center and drive it down in and back out. I start with the 'square' petals - the ones that go along the center line and perpendicular to it. When doing the border I found it was fastest to do all of one cut at a time - go along cutting all of the 'up' cuts, spin the vise and go back doing all the 'downs', etc.

As you can also see on this image, your left / right cuts go only to the mark half way between the centers.

Step 4 - Specifically showing how the flowers touch at the tips.

Step 5 - Now start your diagonal cuts. With the initial 'straight' cuts done it's easy to align the diagonals - you just cut right between the other two.

Step 6 - Getting more flowery. As you put the last four cuts in it all of a sudden starts to look like a flower, doesn't it?

Step 7 - Finished!

All of the step-by-step shots were taken though my scope. This shot of the whole plate gives you a better idea of the actual size. As is often the case, expected viewing distance is your friend. Even as rough as the actual cuts are, it looks pretty good to the naked eye.

But as I mentioned earlier, I should have cut the sides with a V - the flat just doesn't have any sparkle. I may be back with a better finished version for you to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Step1.jpg (50.1 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg Step2.jpg (73.7 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg Step3.jpg (60.6 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg Step4.jpg (60.9 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Step5.jpg (83.0 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg Step6.jpg (70.3 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Step7.jpg (81.8 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg plate.jpg (54.5 KB, 839 views)

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 02-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Gold

Hey Steve,

Nice job. Hopefully your entry will spur others to join in as well. Steve and I were both beginning to wonder if anyone was interested in this contest.

I think your entry points out that you can accomplish some interesting and attractive borders using some fairly simple tools and techniques

To a large degree your border design's successful execution depends ones willingness to take the time to work out a few important rules ahead of time.

Being careful to stay consistent in your spacing (by marking your distances in advance) and being careful to stay consitent in the depth and intensity of each cut result in an attractive border.

Thanks for posting the first entry.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Steel

I haven't engraved very many borders so my selection of photos are pretty pathetic. However, while going through some old pics, I found this. Hopefully it will give the contest some fuel!

I made this a few years ago and it was my first attempt from pushing a graver to air assist. It was soldered to a 3/4 inch silver cuff and worn as a bracelet.

Thanks for looking. Y'all enjoy!

Old 02-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Platinum

I think the "originality" may be the hard part...

I'll try to dream something up.

take care,

Tom
Old 02-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Gold

Nometalgiant,

That's a great looking border. To help this contest expand everyone's vocabulary (of borders) can you outline the steps you took to create the example you showed?

Tom,

I agree, originality is a kicker. But often old ideas can be applied in original ways. That would certainly count in my book.

It's good to see some activity in this contest. Knowing there are a lot of very creating people out there, my hope was to get some of them to focus a little fraction of their creativity toward this subject so we all could pickup a gem or two of new knowledge.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:36 AM
Platinum

Most of the time I can "see" how an engraving was created by it's maker. With borders though I'm often perplexed on how they were created and I look forward to the submissions for this contest.

I won't be submitting but here are my wishes for those that do take the time and effort.

As a beginner I would like to see traditional borders as well as original designs. Maybe two categories Original and Traditional? The basic technique for creating them is just as important to me as how they look or how well they are executed.

That's my hopes for this contest but I realize it's already underway and it might be to late to change the rules.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Gold

John,

That's for the input. Maybe Steve L. will consider your suggestion for a second border contest. There are a few good border tutuorials around the internet for some of the more common border such as the running wheat border and some punch dot borders. Hopefully contests like these go toward adding to those resources.

Best,
Old 02-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Platinum

Here is a border that was taught to me by Renato Sanzogni, who was my primary teacher at Giovanelli's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mdl 70 floor plate 2.jpg (100.0 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg mdl 70 floor plate.jpg (42.2 KB, 189 views)
Old 02-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Gold

Joseph,
Thanks for posting this unique border. To add to the educational value of this contest, it would be great if you could go into the process of creating it.

I'm guessing you cut scribed and cut the border lines then cut the scroll elements with a narrow square graver (like a 90 ?) and then removed the background between the border lines and the scroll elements. But your explaination would be better than my guessing.

Your tips and tricks for laying it out correctly would be welcome.

Best,
Old 02-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Gold

This is a very simple border that can be left alone or shaded as needed.

I have added these additional pictures to my border design. This is a very simple
border to cut, it is a series of streached scrolls set up by reversing every other scroll, with accent lines on both sides. I hope these close up pictures show the variety of designs that can created from the basic border. I cut this with Steves Detail Graver.

Thanks for Stopping By,

JT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0001.JPG (41.5 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0001-1.JPG (75.5 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0007-1.JPG (64.4 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0009-1.JPG (64.0 KB, 218 views)
Old 02-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Platinum

That's a nice looking border JT! :thumbsup:

Can we get a closeup on one of the elements and some instructions on cutting it?

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 02-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Gold

Hi Steve, and Forum Members,

I have added these additional pictures to my border design.

Thanks for Stopping By,

JT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0009-1.JPG (64.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0007-1.JPG (64.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0001-1.JPG (75.5 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by JT Kinney; 02-10-2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Added Content
Old 02-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Platinum

I went looking in one of my old notebooks and found this.Hope it can be read and understood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg best border photo.JPG (128.0 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg best butterfly border.JPG (101.9 KB, 213 views)
Old 02-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Yahoo to mtgraver

Hello folks, This is 8 of 9 sterling silver "rum" cups I made and engraved recently.
Cups are fashioned from sheet stock and flat or haft round wire. The handle is forged into a taper and twisted into an s-scroll.
I try to use different border combinations as seen, layout facilitated by a set of dividers and pencil marks to indicate the flow of the stop cut on the wheat border for instance. Shading is done by eye of course but pencil used to give the direction of the flow desired. My intent with my work is to give an 18th century feel to my work.
Not sure if this is what you're looking for but I felt it fit the theme.
Thanks for bringing this subject to a test. Now who's next to submit?
Mark
www.MarkThomas-graver.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rum cups PG +1 012.JPG (142.2 KB, 212 views)
Old 02-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Platinum

Joseph

That Butterfly border looks interesting. I'm going to have to give it a try sometime.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 02-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Gold

JT, Thanks for the additional photos.

Joseph, Yes the notes make do shed some light on your border. Thanks for taking the time.

Mark, I have been to your website before and really like the work you do (fabricating the cups especially). Thanks for jumping in.

Steve, Thanks for helping to keep the legs under this contest.

I love seeing the originality of these border designs.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Steel

Hello Jim and All,
New at engraving so I doubt my borders are very original. Maybe having them quartered like Jim Perkins did on his good looking piece will get me some points. Take care and thanks for looking.
JL Spaulding
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mailwolf.jpg (61.4 KB, 264 views)
Old 02-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Gold

Hey Jerry,

The borders on that sideplate are beautiful. I think the inner border around the wolf is fairly unique. Well done too.

I also like how you pushed the shape of the receiver from the left and right by extending the right and left side leaves further than the top and bottom ones. It helps to focus attention on the wolf.

BTW When are you going to quit claiming "new engraver" status? You've been at for at least 3 years that I know of... :smile[2]:
Old 02-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Steel

Hi Jim, don't be ageing me. March 07 was my first class with Ray Cover. Plenty of excuses for not being further along but I sure got the bug. That microscope will suck me in for hours at a time - when I get at it. Take care pilgrim
JL Spaulding
Old 02-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Steel

I found this plate in my workshop and thought I’d send it in. Last year I attended a five day beginner engraving course and tried my hand at a few borders. Most of the borders were pre-printed on the 2x2 plate, but during a break in class I “free handed” the double ribbon one that is second from the top. As you can see I didn’t lay it out with a rule. I only had a few minutes to mess around during the break. I was trying to design some type of three dimensional border? As a true novice, I was relatively pleased with the outcome. (Although after viewing the forum for a few months I would probably attempt the shading in a totally different way…) I’d also like to try a more even layout and maybe inlay the center rod in gold, but alas my personal engraving equipment consists of a chasing hammer and a 90 degree graver with a broken tip. (I don’t even have any magnification). Some day I hope to save enough to tool up and try this art for real…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Borders.jpg (105.4 KB, 302 views)
Old 02-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Platinum

here's a border that I kinda made up, but I'm sure it's been done before, it's pretty simple.
Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg borders.jpg (74.4 KB, 277 views)
Old 02-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Gold

This border came to mind as I was looking at one of the plants in my shop. I have no idea what it is called, but it has these neat leaves so I used them for this border. The space between leaves is 1/4", and the lines are 3/16" apart. I start with the sweep line which is the third line from the left in the picture. I than cut the the leaf on each side of this line, Next remove the material between the leaves, and cut a trace line on each side of the leaf.his gives the leaf more depth, and finally make a short plunge cut at the beginnig of each leaf. You can add shade lines if you want more depth in the leaf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0004.jpg (15.1 KB, 220 views)
Old 02-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Copper

Here's a practice plate psuedo patch box I did a few years ago with an alternating 'horse tail' design that might be suitable for a horse shoe. It won't qualify for the contest as it's not 'original' but thought I'ld share it for it's 'horsey' nature.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patchbox1.jpg (41.8 KB, 231 views)
Old 02-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Gold

Default One week remaining

Thanks for all the entries, guys. This is starting to get more and more interesting now with all the new entries. I'm glad Steve L. is the judge and not me! Don't hesitate to post because you think your favorite border treatment is not good enough or original enough. (Just about any border could be be called a variation of another.)

The real point of this contest was to solicite as much "border knowledge" in one thread as possible. How many times have you searched the forums and considered yourself lucky to find and old thread on your subject of interest where many people have weighed in on the subject?

Post your border before the end of the month and please include a little information about how you accomplish it as well.

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Platinum

Wink Re: New contest - borders

Here are some not very unique borders, but they are easy to cut. Included at no cost is the catch of the day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg borders.JPG (44.2 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg catch of the day.JPG (104.9 KB, 103 views)
Old 02-25-2009, 02:05 AM
Gold

Here's some very basic, not very original ideas, but they seemed like something I might be able to cut.

Will see if it is as easy as I thought over the next few days and post the results.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:27 AM
Platinum

My border for a new knife
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t.jpg (52.2 KB, 244 views)
Old 02-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Platinum

Nice Border Roland...Looks a bit familiar. LOL
Old 02-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Platinum

http://www.engravingforum.com/showth...2530#post22530

While your engraving is beautiful... I think this contest is supposed to be based on origionality.

P.S. The link in this post is NOT a submission into this contest.

Thanks

Last edited by plat955; 02-25-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: wrong message
Old 02-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Platinum

I have been trying to come up with a border that might be of some value to a man who engraves horseshoes. How about a Longhorn motif? Or, you can play with it and turn it into buffalo skulls. Decorate the negative spaces as you wish, arrow heads might work well.
Have a great day,Joseph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RSCN3026.JPG (39.6 KB, 206 views)
Old 02-27-2009, 02:24 AM
Gold

Since the first ones I posted weren't very original, I thought I would try to create something using Ginko leaves which are common in Japanese art. Here's what I came up with. Of course, it still remains to be seen if I can cut them, but maybe they'll trigger some great idea for some one that can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ginko1.jpg (35.6 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg Ginko2.jpg (34.3 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg Ginko3.jpg (34.1 KB, 167 views)
Old 02-27-2009, 02:31 AM
Platinum

Plat955
I understand now your comment.
This border is a classic border here in Belgium. You are many example of this.
Of course, it isn't an original border but I would like to show it just to see it and because I engrave it now.
If you want I can remove it, it is the same for me?
Old 02-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Platinum

Ddbltrbl

That third pattern looks really interesting! Could be tricky to do 'live' - especially if it's an area / object that makes doing a transfer hard, but still....

I've got a spin ring (a ring with a secondary band on the face that can spin around) that would look really good with something like that on it. Of course first I have to figure out how to hold the stupid thing since you don't want it to spin while you're trying to engrave it but you do want it to still be able to spin when you're done.

Even if a couple of them are classics, this thread has served its purpose in pulling together some really neat border designs. Good job Brandvik!

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 02-27-2009, 08:36 AM
Platinum

Ddbltrbl, Those are some nifty borders. I am with steve i really like that third one. I bet it would be a duzy to draw freehand. I was going to post a plate i had some borders on that i came across. Time to clean up because i cant seem to find it again. I will keep looking and try and post it soon. Steve do you think a little super glue would work on your spinner ring? Plop it in some solvent when your finished.Great job everybody on your contributions!
Old 02-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Platinum

Hey! Hadn't thought of SuperGlue - that'd probably do it.

I was going to try some ThermoLoc but I think glue is better because it will all be out of the way.

Thanks for the suggestion!

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 02-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Platinum

Hey dbl, that third one is a killer! I have no doubt it would look awesome if it were cut 'just so'. If you do decide to cut it, I would like to see.
This thread a great idea Brandvik, thanks,
gail
Old 02-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Platinum

Roland,

All is cool. I don't think you should remove it. I didn't enter mine into this contest because so many people are working hard to come up with origionals. That's all. Great Stuff!
Old 02-28-2009, 04:17 AM
Platinum

Thanks and sorry again.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Platinum

Here is a few that i played with. Hope they help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0626.jpg (148.5 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0627.jpg (152.2 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0630.jpg (92.5 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0631.jpg (122.9 KB, 176 views)
Old 03-01-2009, 06:55 AM
Gold

Exclamation Re: New contest - borders

Thanks to everyone who has contributed entries and added to the value of the conversation about borders. The contest is now closed, but please feel free to continue the discussion.

Steve L. has asked that I let you vote in order to decide who the winner should be, so I will be putting a poll thread up today to give you a means of voting.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Platinum

Thanks for putting in the work and following through on your idea. Borders have always been a stumbling block for myself, coming up with something new that is. There was some beautiful work put forward.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Gold

Default Cast your ballet

PLEASE USE THIS LINK TO VOTE
Old 03-01-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph engraver View Post
I have been trying to come up with a border that might be of some value to a man who engraves horseshoes. How about a Longhorn motif? Or, you can play with it and turn it into buffalo skulls. Decorate the negative spaces as you wish, arrow heads might work well.
Have a great day,Joseph
Now that's unique.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:33 AM
Gold

Steve, Doug, Gail,
Thanks for the comments! I really like the spinner ring idea, and I think my son has an old one laying around somewhere...

The pattern is actually a lot simpler than looks. It is just the repetition of the primary element which I'll attach below for anyone that wants to use it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ginko 4.jpg (27.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-03-2009, 07:50 AM
Platinum

I like the progression in your three designs, moving from the stylized leaf all the way to something that can be used as a geometric tile. Thanks for isolating down to the base element so we can more easily cut & paste as large an area as needed.

And people think that Math has no place in Art!

Trivia bit: If you use a geometric tiling (like this pattern) as a background the figures you place 'over' it will indeed look like they're floating over it - or at least that illusion is very easy for people to see. There are games you can play with the size of the tile elements to subtly enhance the effects.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album