Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Steel

Default Interested in learning the art of engraving

My name is Alexander from New York City, Middle aged man, with wife and kids. I have owned and operated a comic book specialty store since 1999 specializing in high end pop culture collectibles. Been trading and selling comics since the 70’s. I have retired and closed my store just about 2 years ago, and still sell online at my leisure. I will start out by saying Hello to all the members, and incredible artist on this forum. Everyone of you have inspired me to move forward with my practice in the art of engraving. I am new to engraving and am working towards putting together a professional Lindsay air graver system. I am currently working with wood carving by hand and doing some leather work (burning) for practice. My desire is to learn the art of engraving firearms and metal, with that being said, one never knows where one will end up. I Have a passion for Vintage firearms, and trucks. I do realize the reality and the huge amount of time learning and practicing that need be put into such a craft. I must admit, the work I have seen from artist on this forum, are both amazing and inspiring! Respects to all of you, I am humbly bowing before all of your works and skills. I have been researching the tools of the trade and will need as much help as possible with selecting the proper tools/system for my needs? any and all information would be highly appreciated. Sincerely, Alexander, AKA, BlackSkunk
Old 02-05-2014, 05:59 PM
Gold

Default Re: Interested in learning the art of engraving

Thankfully you sound grounded in the fact you won't be engraving guns after your first week of practise. It is a long term learning curve, a life long learning curve, actually. Although I do not yet own Steve's tools, one day I will. Start slow, work your way up, buy things as you have the funds and use of them. Enjoy this sight, I sure do. Thank you Steve for building this website/forum for engravers. All the best Alexander.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Steel

hand e dave, I will definitely take your advice, start slow, and work my way up. I don't see myself engraving guns for a long while from now. At the moment I am enjoying the simple hammer and chisel /hand push method for practice. I am going to pick up a few books on how to draw scroll. I am a decent artist, and practice makes perfect. All I can do is give it my best and keep at it. I have an old pick up truck I can go to town practicing on, she's my Frankenstein, ! hand e dave, I just checked out the jewelry you did back in the 90's, awesome work! Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to learning, and meeting more members within the community. I am loving it so far! Thanks again!!
Old 02-09-2014, 12:34 AM
Steel

welcome to the forum you started in the right spot my advice to you is try to book a class with our friend JJ Roberts he is in Manassas Virginia that way you would safe a lot of time by trying to learn on your own Steve Lindsay tools are the best tools you would get in the industry they are used almost by all master engravers and beginner
to me I consider them the Roll Royce of the industry and the costumer service is the best you would get any question just ask away remember a stupid question is the one not asked
Old 02-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Steel

Hello Leonel, and thank you for the warm welcome. I was thinking about taking classes, only, I was unable to find anything within my area in New York? I am sure it is very important who the teacher is as with any art being taught. Thank you for sharing that information with me. I will definitely be looking into classes, may have to travel in hopes of finding the right teacher? I have been doing a lot of research on the tools of the trade and can clearly see Lindsay tools are second to none, and choice pick for many professionals and hobbyist who are serious about the art of engraving. My problem is, due to lack of experience,, what system to choose that will best fit my needs? (this is where classes would be a big help, trying out tools hands on) I want a set up that is versatile. I am mainly interested in engraving metals, of all types, including heavy steel vintage truck parts as well as softer material /metals, and hopefully one day firearms once skilled enough to do so. I will be practicing with knives / cheap blades, vintage truck parts, and motorcycle parts, I have access to such scraps /supplies at no cost, not to mention a little scrap yard of my own sought of speak. Obviously I will have to slowly build up my tools as I go, to meet my needs as “hand e dave” mentioned, makes sense to me. I am truly enjoying the forum, learning and meeting members, and most of all, enjoying the wide range of art work from such skilled masters and beginners.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:23 PM
Steel

So far I am liking, and thinking about purchasing the Nitro G20, I will also need, Airgraver foot control w/dual regulators?
Old 02-13-2014, 05:14 PM
Gold

Hey BlackSkunk (Alexander), a low cost way for you to get into it is to order Steve's sharpening templates and some of his finest blank gravers. Also purchase but never use, one of Steve's pre-sharpened gravers for future reference. Buy the stones , well actually a kit of stones and templates, and carry on with hammer and chisel. The difference being you will have properly sharpened gravers that are tough as nails. Then take a class, even a few hours privately will educate you immensely.

Thanks for the compliments on the jewellery I made in the nineties. I appreciate it.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:47 PM
Steel

hand e dave, Think I'm gonna take that advice (low cost way for now) for the time being. Definitely looking into classes for sure. I keep plugging away on my own just for fun, and practice. It will give me more time to explore the more expensive tools/set up I would like to purchase in the near future. It is an investment, but I am enjoying the hobby very much so far and am willing to keep at it. hand e dave, I was just curious? you still doing the jewelry, or any kind of art work anymore?
Old 02-14-2014, 09:05 PM
Gold

Alexander, the last time I engraved or made jewellery was in 96, 18 years ago. Long story, life has it twists, turns, and dead-ends sometimes. While I still have all my tools, materials, and equipment, I haven't used it. They are "sleeping", waiting for me to get back into it. It's a long long story.

I do artwork on envelopes for my friends and family, spend hours making and drawing cards for my wife, and make cool Christmas cards and matching envelopes every Christmas (around 45 cards). It is pretty nice to see my friends frame or save my custom envelopes and cards (birthdays and/or Christmas). Because money never enters into it, I love doing it. I'll probably make jewellery again, but this go around I will give it away to deserving folks or sell it to special people for my cost. I really find it easier when money is not involved. But that's just me.

I wish you all the best Alexander, keep plugging away, and I look forward to hearing from you when you get Steve's templates and sharpening stones. Enjoy !
Old 02-15-2014, 12:44 AM
Steel

Ok my advice is the closest teacher we have is Jj Roberts in manassas virginia about tools I think he got a hall collection of lindsay tool so the student could try go to the classes page and give him a call nice guy when you meet him
Old 02-15-2014, 11:39 PM
Steel

Hi Alexander
I am also starting out in Engraving, I am a jeweler and watch smith by trade and have also been considering learning the art of engraving. I believe it would fit in with my profession well. But i wish you and my self luck and patience in learning this trade.
And i thank Steve and all the other great members for all their inputs and info in the art.
Omar
Old 02-18-2014, 11:19 AM
Steel

hand e dave, believe me, I know all about what you are talking about when you say, "life has it's twists" Just having all the tools, material and equipment, as well as the knowledge is what counts, you can always start up again when you are ready. Hopefully you do, from what I saw, I liked your work, very interesting. Money always complicates everything, takes the fun out of it in my opinion. Thank you for the support and input.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Steel

Hi leonel, Thank you, I appreciate that information very much!
Old 02-18-2014, 11:28 AM
Steel

Hello Alikessu, Nice trade. I agree with you, it definitely would fit in with your profession, even benefit it in my opinion. Self luck hard work, patience, passion and want, is what is most important. I believe you can do anything you want, as long as your heart is in it, and dedication is there. Yes, I will say thanks to Steve and members as well for their kind welcome, all their inputs, information, and skills. Thanks! I love the forum, learning a lot from just from browsing. I downloaded a few of Steve's videos and they are very helpful. Just being able to see him working has helped me a lot. I like the fact he was engraving scroll without any sketch or transfer. That was interesting to watch. I also downloaded a few of the books on how to draw, very helpful. Thanks again Steve.