Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 12-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Gold

Default Grass roots idea

hey erbody, I've had an idea for a while now, its kinda a social experiment. I'd like to eventually build a sort of school, for; engraving, knife making, blacksmithing etc. the idea is not to build a regular school per say, but a special school to sort of give back, or positively affect the community in a big way. I'd like to network with many different artisans to achieve this goal. The plan is to offer highschool students the opportunity to recieve either college scholarships, or attendence in a summer school program where they would attend a sort of long workshop taught by master artisans.

In order to earn the schollarship, or the attendance of said workshop, the student would be required to read The Ethics of Aristotle: The Nicomachean Ethics (Penguin Classics). The student would be required to send in a book report stating their interpretation of the ethics, and their relationship to modern society. in addition the student would be required to do a good deed for their community, a magnificient act, document the act and submit documented results. The winner of the "essay contest" would either recieve a scholarship, or recieve a trip to the workshop which would be tought by industry leaders.... perhaps volunteers..... master artisans...

I think if this were done at several locations and publicized whenever possible all over the country it could have a positive effect on our society.... it may even lead to the correction of some long standing social issues we have to face everyday.... at the very least it would teach a few eager and motivated young people how to correctly use their fervor for life. What do you think about the idea? Jim
Old 12-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Gold

Default Re: Grass roots idea

Ps.. the book I mentioned was very difficult for me to read, but the translation is accurate, and undisputable.... Aristotle was very simple, he got that from socratese... he looked around thought about what he saw and wrote the strait truth... I had to read- re read and read again everything until I understood what he was saying, but when I understood, it was as said, undisputable. The book teaches Virtue ethics, the information contained was written a couple hundred years before the birth of christ, and all long lasting and successful societys and religions are based on these ethics. It seems that some of our countrymen are making a profit by discrediting the major religion of the time which is the predominate teacher of the phylosiphy that made us great in the first place.... In addition, other people over the past two thousand years or so, have in an attempt to profit or gain fame, published their own interpretation of ethics, these alternative phylosiphies make it easier to live with tough decisisons, like betraying your neighbor for a dollar... Their false and if you read the the book being discussed you will understand why, if you dont allready.

If I had control of millions and millions of dollars, I'd build a pallace like school in a picturesque location on a high mountain lake somewhere, where we'd have a community of people who just wanted to live out their lives producing beautiful objects with their hands.... and a full time acredited school Here is an address for amazon where you can click on the cover and read the book http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0140...43#reader-link

Last edited by jdveritas; 12-07-2006 at 04:35 PM.