Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 04-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Steel

Send a message via Skype™ to vilts
Default Trying my hand on video - making a knife

Hey,

Some time ago I got HD videocam and started playing with it. Here is my first 'real' video I've ever made:

http://vimeo.com/862212

It's how we make one hidden tang knife. The maker is my dad and voiceover is by my darling wife.

I tried to make this video as interesting as possible, this means that it is relatively short with short clips in it - 1 day of knifemaking condensed into 8.5 minutes, clips as usually 3-4 seconds, rarely more.

Next in line is video how I engrave this knife

What you think?

P.S. On that page you can download larger version of it - 1280x720. If you hunger for even more quality, then let me know and I can put up a 1920x1080 version. Oh, the pleasure of HD!
Old 04-06-2008, 08:39 AM
Gold

Default Re: Trying my hand on video - making a knife

Vilts, I enjoyed the video. I dabbled in knifemaking a few years ago and your video brought back good memories. Your camera work was good. You captured everything clearly. I'll have to watch it again. Gene
Old 04-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Platinum

Nice work by everybody Vilts!

You'll have to include a DVD with this and the engraving video with the knife when it's sold.

BTW, I noticed a subtle testament to your father's skill in that video: he works without gloves and there were no visible nicks / cuts / scrapes on his hands! I can't pass that test and I don't make knives!

Looking forward to your followup video on the engraving.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 04-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Administrator

I also enjoyed the video. The clips of the environment around your dad while he is working rather focused to one area I like.
EngravingArtist.com
Old 04-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Steel

Send a message via Skype™ to vilts

I'm glad you guys like it. Actually after years of dealing only with photography, I find video very interesting. Many things I've learned from photo can be transferred over directly, yet there's so much more - the movement, the sound. It sort of opens my eyes again to the world, I see and look for things I usually don't.

And I believe the technology is finally so advanced, that even with relatively simple/cheap camera you can get very good quality indeed. Home-video cameras just few years back can't compare to what we have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD
You'll have to include a DVD with this and the engraving video with the knife when it's sold.
Steve, you got it spot on! Actually this was one of the reasons we bought this camera, so we could make sort-of ad DVD's. Give them to our customers and potential customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lindsay
I also enjoyed the video. The clips of the environment around your dad while he is working rather focused to one area I like.
Steve, I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by "The clips of the environment around your dad while he is working rather focused to one area I like."

What is the area you like? Or.. well, I don't get it . Lack of my english, I guess.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Administrator

I meant the way the camera or clips go from what he is working on to
the grinding dust on the floor and even to the clock on the wall.
EngravingArtist.com
Old 04-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Platinum

Can't wait to see part 2. Excellent job on all accounts,the knife,sheath,and video contents. Steve hit the nail on the head. Adding the clock, rain drops, and working dust piling up on the floor is a great touch.:whoo:
Old 04-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Platinum

Vilts,
That is a wonderful video. It was easy to watch, no confusing shadows, and a pleasure to watch. I would like to have a knife made by you and your father. I hope to meet you at the engrave in. I'll be looking forward to the next installment.
gailm