Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 10-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Copper

Default Salutations!

Hello all,

Very new and not really even a lurker since I just found this site about a week ago.

Let's see ... a bit about me, I love to read, mostly fantasy novels with a smattering of sci-fi thrown in for flavor. I write some poetry and fantasy fiction, though nothing substantial as of now. I currently work at my alma mater's IT department but have found myself wanting to get back into crafting like I did when I was younger. Uh, I'll be 27 soon, yay! Which is probably pretty young for a good number of you.

Right now I'm preparing to buy a push graver and some practice plates so I can jump into this really interesting world of hand engraving. I've dabbled in some wood work and even did some stuff with print making back in high school but other than that I'm a rank novice, eager to learn.

Seen some amazing pieces and they have inspired me to one day invest in a PC airgraver, especially since I found out that it is so amazingly portable. But for now I'll stick with the one that's powered by elbow grease since it's way more within my budget, hehe.

Looking forward to chatting with all of you.

~Ink
Old 10-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Steel

Default Re: Salutations!

where are you located there are several of us in GA
Old 10-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Copper

I'm in Valdosta, GA which is about as close to FL you can get without being in FL.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Platinum

Hi Inkling,

Welcome to the Engraving Forum.
Check out the Engraving Tools page;

There is a manual palm push kit ;

http://www.airgraver.com/Hand_Engrav...s_Overview.htm

Manual Palm-Push stainless graver, wrench with Lindsay sharpener.

All the best

SE
Old 10-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Copper

Thank you SEngraver, that's the one I was looking at buying here in a few weeks.

Definitely looking forward to trying this out. Especially since I can incorporate some of my calligraphy experience into it eventually as well.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Platinum

Welcome here !
Old 10-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Platinum

Hi Inkling. Just a little advice when you get the push graver. This is a caution. The name push graver is a little misleading. The power or the push that moves the graver through the metal comes from tha palm of the hand NOT the elbow. Pushing with the hand limits how far the graver can move. Using the hole arm to push with can cause serious injury if you slip out of the cut you are making. Control. sharpness and slow method and you'll do fine. chickenscratcher
Old 10-07-2011, 02:22 AM
Platinum

Inkling,

I use that and the advantage is I only change the gravers points and the handle remains the same,you can also vary the length of the gravers.

The experience in calligraphy will definitely be very useful
It is also nice to know that you are doing the palm push method.That is the the best way to start engraving - my opinion.
SE
Old 10-07-2011, 05:33 AM
Copper

Thank you for the welcome rbaptiste. Glad to be here.

@chickenscratcher

I'll remember that bit of advice, though when I mentioned elbow grease it was as a figure of speech rather than truly thinking about using my elbow as my basis of power. But thank you for the word of caution, much appreciated.

@SEngraver

Well using the push graver seemed like the best idea since I don't know really anything about this craft yet and I thought it'd be good to start simple.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:10 AM
Platinum

Inkling,

A useful link ;

http://www.engravingschool.com/

Engraving is one of the oldest arts in practise today.We need to keep it going

SE

ps.I would advise reading up on it or even aquire a book or two, to further your knowledge..ie..The Art of Engraving by Mr.J.B Meek ;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Engraving-Instructions-James-Meek/dp/9997645790
Old 10-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Platinum

Inkling,

I'm always happy to hear of a realtivly young person getting into hand engraving. Since you are young and don't have to immediately use engraving to make a living, it is good to start by learning with a burin as well as hammer & chisel. If your goal is to strictly do lettering the burin is the tool for you.

Browse through the glossary by clicking the link under my signature and you will be exposed to a wealth of information about the tools and designs used in the craft.

Regards,

RB
Old 10-08-2011, 05:36 AM
Copper

@SEngraver

Do you know if that book is available here in the states? Or is it a publication from specifically the UK?

@Roger Bleile

Not sure if I'll be strictly doing lettering or incorporating it into pieces as part of some sort of extra detail. But I'll make sure and read up on the burin and get one while I'm still new.

Thanks for all the great advice and encouragment everyone, I'll be grabbing some tools for my birthday in about a month. So I'll read until then.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:06 AM
Platinum

Hi,

I did a search on Amazon.com and this book is available in the USA .
Try this link;

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Engraving-...8075254&sr=1-1

You can view other books too.

SE
Old 10-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Platinum

Inkling, my remark about elbow power was a referance to using the arm as a hole to push. I can not say enough about this caustion. I have stabbed myself by forgetting and pushing my way through a project to get it done, and I was even stabed by another student at jewelry school while standing next to him to watch him work. The power you can put behind the tool can be far more than you expect. If you slip out of your cut the graver point goes a long distance. Maybe others have a story or two about graver slips.
Also I think a burin is a push graver so you don't have to buy both. chickenscratcher
Old 10-09-2011, 01:54 AM
Platinum

Hi,

My two cents-

I have noticed that when doing p/push engraving it is as the hand starts to tire, then one tends to start using the forearm, then the whole arm to the shoulder and if or when the graver slips ........disaster !! , as chickenscratcher states it is absolutely right 100%.

You have keep the pushing to the palm only.When the hand or you are tired take 10....

SE
Old 10-09-2011, 01:57 AM
Platinum

HI

Definition of a burin -It is a graver basically ;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burin

Glossary;

http://www.engravingglossary.com/Han...ossary%20B.htm

Towards the middle of the page
SE
Old 10-09-2011, 07:41 AM
Copper

I'll be sure to keep that in the forefront of my mind. Don't want anyone, including myself, to get hurt while doing this. And by palm power do you mean you're starting the pushing motion from the wrist? Or is it the actual palm itself?

Also if anyone else has any books they'd recommend I read I'd appreciate the advice.

Thanks!

~Ink
Old 10-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Platinum

Inkling. The preasure or power to push the graver through the cut is actually more like closing the fist only with the graver in your hand. The graver handle is placed into the cupped palm of the hand with the graver shaft held between the thumb pad and first finger with the other 3 fingers stedding area behind the point. It is not held to tight but has to be able to be pushed toward the cut by pushing the graver with the little finger side of the palm. At first your cuts are very short but they get longer with the stronger hand you develop. I saw this week on history channel a little of the US Mint coin engraving and the size of the cuts they were making were really small. chickenscratcher