Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Platinum

Talking Three year old

My name is Neil and have been engraving for 3 years now. I am a knifemaker and I am using engraving to embellish my knives. I live in Montana. Am 60 years old and hope to make this my third career.I have hosted a couple of grave-ins. It is a good idea and think more should do it.Especially us beginners
Old 03-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Three year old

Welcome Neil You are still a young Man. I am 72

Ken Crutcher

The problem with doing nothing is knowing when you are done.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Gold

hello there
i am also a new kid on the block
where in montana are you from.....i am from billings.
if possible i would like to meet with you. i need allthe help i can get.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Gold

Welcome Neil,
I too am fairly new to engraving, however I think your approach to learning the craft by taking classes is surely the best way to go. I haven't taken any classes and at one time a few years ago became frustrated with trying to learn on my own that I gave up and put my engraving tools aside until just weeks ago when I discovered this forum and began learning a lot from all the dedicated people that post here. I hope you enjoy the company here as much as I have (really a nice bunch of people) and I'm sure we would all like to see your knives sometime. Again, Welcome!
Gene
Old 05-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Platinum

I am in Stevensville, south of Missoula. I played with teaching myself for al long time with Meeks book but could not get it. I think the new tools,(power tools ) give you a real advantage in the learning curve.

Neil
Old 05-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Platinum

I'm a couple of months shy of my first year myself but I'm having fun!

I got lucky because even before my equipment arrived I'd been told about the forums on the web - major help just lurking and even better if you suck it up and ask your 'stupid' question.

I've had one class so far and another one coming up first week of June. You just soak up so much in a good class.

Neil I also think the power tools have one big advantage for a complete newby. Hand push or Hammer & Chisel you have to spend some time learning how to cut a line and then when you're working (at first) you have to pay attention to your technique. With a powered graver you spend 10 seconds learning how to hold it and then viola! you're cutting a line. After that you have learn what to do with that line, but it lets you concentrate on that rather than just in getting a line.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Platinum

Wink Re: Three year old

You are exactly right about the power tools. As I increase my ability to engrave I go back to the hammer and chisel and the push graver from time to time and my skill level increases as my skil increases with the power tools. I do use a push graver for some shading now.

Neil
Old 05-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Platinum

Neil,

You raise a good point - if you already know what you're doing on the engraving side it's easier to work with unfamiliar tools since you only have to concentrate on that aspect of the task.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Steel

I live in missoula. Stevi is just around the corner. Let me know if you have another get together. Be nice to talk to another in person , in person. bervin
Old 05-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Platinum

I will put a note on this site when we have another. We are going to have a class sometime this year as well. Might be a week. What level are you at in your engraving?

Neil:yesnod:
Old 05-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Platinum

Sure a lot of 'handy' people up there in Montana.

Part of that is probably because folks moving there (or at least staying there) know there isn't someone around to hold their hand like there are on the fringes (coasts).

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Platinum

I think that the reason there seems to be alot of artists in Montana is because jobs have been scarce and people turned to their talents to make a living. We have spur makers, Photographers, artists, Horsehair braiders, saddlemakers, gunsmiths, engravers, knifemakers,you name it. But I think that you will find some of these no matter what state you go to.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:13 AM
Platinum

Definitely a lot of artistic folks around.
One slightly surprising thing about Kansas City is that it is, apparently, well known for it's art in some circles. There are little galleries everywhere - mostly co-ops. I'm just easing out of one I was in with my photography but may go back later with my engraving.

I've heard that it's pretty common for East & West coast dealers to make a run through KC, loading up at the various co-ops and then going back to sell the works for greatly inflated prices. If I ever run into one of these dealers, well, I've got a pile of work they can exploit. :thumbsup:

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Platinum

So how does this coop thing work. Do you own the building, rent it or? and who operates the coop? do you hire someone? If you are easing out is it inconvienent?

Old 05-21-2008, 06:45 AM
Platinum

Neil,

The co-op I was in is the Northland Artists' Exposure Gallery in Parkville, MO. The co-op rents the space. Prospective members have to be juried in. There are quarterly dues, a small commission on every sale (20% which is pretty low), and you have to work two shifts / month. Each shift is 4 hours and we have two people working each shift. I generally did both of my shifts on the same day, and since I'm paid to be downtown in an office all week that meant one Saturday a month was tied up. It's a good gallery and nice folks but I just needed the time. Once I get really going with my engraving I might see if I can get juried in for that - 3D stuff always sells better than 2D. You need both though - they come in to look at the walls but they most often buy from the cases.

The arrangement at that gallery, btw, is that the 2D people get a 'panel' - a 4x wide wall section and the jewellery people get one large and one small case. The other 3D people get a suitable display stand. Once a quarter everyone moves to a new spot so no one gets stuck in a 'bad' spot (there really aren't any in that space) and no one gets to 'live' in the 'good' spot. You swap with another artist and just arrange to be there at the same time to do the switch. We have a theme each quarter to help encourage people to bring in something new.

Check around your area - there's probably at least one co-op somewhere nearby. Even if you never sell anything the exposure is good, as well as being able to tell people "You can see my work at..."

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Platinum

Thanks, I have heard of these but don't know if there is one here. I will do some checking and see if I can find one. 20% isn't too bad.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:52 AM
Steel

I'm a beginner. Had my equipment for awhile, been battling a injury for a long time. Inevitably haven't been able to practice like I would like. Just now finding out how to get the most of my time. So I am on the ever quest for as many short cuts as possible. Need to make time count. bervin
Old 05-22-2008, 07:13 AM
Platinum

Neil

That's one of the things I sometimes pointed out to customers (the ones who want a 'guided tour' type experience - lots just want to be left to themselves). Most 'regular' galleries have to pay employees so they run comissions of 50 - 60% plus. Things look like they're half price at a co-op because you're pretty much just paying the artist.

Bervin

Welcome to the forum! :waving: (ok, you've been here a year but this is the first time we've talked.)

I think engraving is similar to shooting where the saying goes:
"Fast is slow. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
reminding folks that it doesn't matter how fast you miss so it's better to forget about being fast and concentrate on being smooth. When you get smooth, being smooth will make you fast.

With engraving it's more important to make the right cuts than fast cuts. If you ever see some of the master engravers on here in person it sometimes looks like they just spin the vise and the spine of a scroll pops off the plate. That's because they've had just a bit of practice cutting those lines.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Platinum

thanks for the info. I will check around and see what I can find. It is always better to have a smaller commission when trying to move your work and get more exposure.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:00 AM
Platinum

A good co-op is fun as well. Given the quality of the art work it's not like it was a bad way to spend a Saturday. We usually were busy enough it wasn't boring but not so busy it was a bother. That's the kind of place you're looking for.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Platinum

So I would suppose that you would get some inspiration from the other art as well. I haven't had time to go to town to check on this but will soon.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Platinum

Neil,

There's definitely a lot of interaction back and forth between the artists in a co-op. And that's not even counting the occasional collaboration project.

If they do themes, like the one in Parkville then you get that fun as you try to come up with work to fit the upcoming theme.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Platinum

I think that is a real possibility. I am good friends with a spur maker and him and I are contemplating a joint effort with a matching set of spurs and a knife that are all engraved and finished the same. I think it will be fun and a good learning experience to try and achieve the same goal together.

Neil